How much should I put for these items for

Buy, Sell or Trade your models here...

Moderators: xFallenx, cultofkhaine, The Dread Knights

Greenie
Dark Rider

How much should I put for these items for

Post by Greenie »

I wanted to ask this question but was not quiet sure where to post it.

the other day I decided to sell all the models that I have not managed to paint in the past 5 years. I did list it on ebay(I know evil word. I wont link here) I was thinking of putting a buy now and wanted to know what you guys would think this is worth.

I have had these for along time so the models might be older versions. Most are completely unpainted a couple are partly base coated(had tournament and required at least base coat and the can was empty)
This is what it contains
1 unopened executioner command(3 chars inside package)
1 unopened shadow blade dark elf assassin
12 black guard
5 cold one knights
12 witch elves
1 reaper bolt thrower and crew
1 morathi (a special character sorceress)
1 assassin
1 Sorceress on dark pegasus
1 elf shade
6 trays(4x5 by 4 trays, 1x5 by 2 trays, and 1x 4 by 4 trays)
20 spare charecter bases(these are extras than what is need for all these models)
some spare bits as well.

I have heaps more images in the ebay listing though i do not want to break the rules by linking it.

Edit: Umm I uploaded an attachment image though it is not showing. So those of you that can be bothered looking at pictures and decode this blatant clue www..com.au/itm/111433798361
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Re: How much should I put for these items for

Post by Amboadine »

Giving you a figure is definitely subjective. If you are not using the models then obviously anything you gain is better than them just staying in a box.
If you want a value, maybe just take half the current GW price as a guide.
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

I agree with Amboadine - half GW price sounds fare, anything extra would be a bonus
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

In all honesty, you're much better off doing an auction than a buy it now price. I've ebayed quite a lot of warhammer stuff over the past 5 years, and have found that the risk if you do buy it now is that you can get well below what you actually could get.

To give some examples.

Some years ago, I decided to auction off my mass of Orcs and Goblins. The miniatures were mostly in terrible condition and so I put them up for auction at £80. Ebay indicated I could put them on for a Buy It Now price as well, so I put that at £150 and went to bed. Within hours, the set had sold. The quickness with which it sold made me realize that I must have massively devalued the bunch.

Two Christmases ago, my parents gave me a GW Dark Elf Blackdragon box. As I already owned one black dragon, who I think has seen a mighty 5 battles in his 5 year career, I decided to put it on Ebay (I couldn't return it direct to GW as a) they had the receipt and I didn't want to tell them that they had brought the wrong thing, b) the plastic covering the box was slightly ripped, and c) I hate going into GW and it would have cost me in tube fare enough to wipe nearly 1/3 off the value of the box. So, I put it on as an auction for I think £15 and it sold for £30, which was just a few pounds less than the actual GW retail price. I would never have valued it at that much, but it's what it went for.

As a non-GW example, I recently sold some storage crates for my parents. We ummed and erred about how much to list them for and in the end agreed on £70 as the price. A day or two into the auction we were contacted by several people who wanted to do buy it now deals, with the highest suggesting £140. We politely declined, and the lot went in the end for £180.

What I've learned over time is that if you don't know the exact amount that a lot is worth, then auctions are better. The price of the goods naturally rise to roughly their second-hand value, without requiring you to accurately guess it. So, unless you're a wiz at The Price is Right, you're better off auctioning the set. You'll get a much more reliable return. The only real exceptions to this are a) when you are selling an item with little popularity but a high value (which fortunately doesn't apply here - ebay is hopping with people hoping to purchase GW stuff) and b) when you are selling to a friend and want them to get a good deal rather than just get some money out of the transaction by selling to someone you don't know (in which case you might use a set price, but would probably not use ebay).

As a final point, if you do decide to list as auction only, do not accept buy it now offers from people. They will usually (always in my experience) try to undervalue the goods from you, in the hope that a quick sale will tempt you out of an auction. The fact they are contacting you at all means that they believe the item is going to go higher than they are asking you to sell it to them for. Just politely decline saying that you prefer to use an auction method as you don't know the exact value of the item and that they are welcome to bid and good luck to them if they decide to do so.

And as a final final point - take lots of pictures if you can and provide a detailed description. That helps reassure potential bidders about the veracity of the sale and quality of the items, which leads to more bids, which leads to more £££.

Just my two cents - of course, I can't guarantee you a sale, but in my experience, auctioning is better. And if you're worried about not getting your starting price: put them at half GW price as others suggested, that does seem a fair starting point. If the worst comes to the worst and you only get one bid, that's the same as you would have got for a buy it now offer.

Edit - As a final point: avoid sloppiness, as that definitely deters buyers. Case in point - I clicked on your images link and found that it did not work. Then I noticed you had put two full stops after the www. So I corrected for that, and it still did not work. Try to make sure everything works fluidly before making your auction go live - otherwise you undermine your own credibility as a seller and people will not bid if they are unsure about that.
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
Payce
Executioner

Post by Payce »

Would be interested in buying your Morathi, if you'd want to sell her separately. PM me.
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

Red... wrote:In all honesty, you're much better off doing an auction than a buy it now price. I've ebayed quite a lot of warhammer stuff over the past 5 years, and have found that the risk if you do buy it now is that you can get well below what you actually could get.

+1

Start an auction really low to attract attention and it will often end up selling for more than you could get someone to pay with "Buy It Now"
Truly These are the End Times ...
Greenie
Dark Rider

Post by Greenie »

Ok it sounds like auction is the way to go. Thought of a buy know might have been good to get it done quickly. Though it is nearly done now anyway and when I originally posted no one had bid on it, but now there have been 13 bids.

About the ebay link being wrong. I didn't want to paste the ebay link because the rules say not to. Though I could not attach my images to the post. i would upload them and then they would just vanish no error messages or anything.

I was considering selling each unit separately. Though it sounds like a lot of work and thought i could get a quick sale just selling everything.

I would sell it too you separately but the listing is already up. There is some things i would like to change i realised i had an extra cold one knight rider with no cold one in the pictures. i didn't list it and i have a painted cold one i'm keeping with no rider. Which is a bit of a bummer. I'm just going to sell it as well anyway. It can be a surprise extra.

Thanks for all your help guys.
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

Greenie wrote:Ok it sounds like auction is the way to go. Thought of a buy know might have been good to get it done quickly. Though it is nearly done now anyway and when I originally posted no one had bid on it, but now there have been 13 bids.

That's what happens. Bids usually come in late.

I was considering selling each unit separately. Though it sounds like a lot of work and thought i could get a quick sale just selling everything.

It is more work, but if the army is either unpainted or really well painted, you will get more money breaking it up. If you have stuff that is mediocre, it's better to sell it all together since otherwise there is a good chance stuff won't sell at all.
Truly These are the End Times ...