Pick your Space, sorry Sig Marine chapter now.

The place for all game discussions on Age of Sigmar.

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Pick your Space, sorry Sig Marine chapter now.

Post by Amboadine »

Really? As if the aesthetics weren't close enough to SM's.

1435795158538.jpg
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Re: Pick your Space, sorry Sig Marine chapter now.

Post by Daeron »

I'm not surprised. Even before this leak, there were already people photoshopping the Sig Marines to alternative colour schemes.
Actually... This kind of resembles our 6th edition dark elf book where different themes were presented alongside an army concept (raiders, north patrol, etc).
Heck, they had books of heraldry for Empire and High Elves... While I get the analogy, this is hardly unique to 40K.
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

I agree, just an amusing side track for me.

Variations in paint schemes are typically in most codex/army books. I naively believe these were meant to be an elite force of warriors linked to Sigmar and would just be one single united warrior faction, rather than a number of different groups combined under one 'God'.

It is just all the similarities in names, structure, heck even there armour and the material it is made from are blatantly aimed at selling to the 40k crowd. Which I guess is bang on where they are wanting to go.
I do wonder how many of the next range of models we are seeing will scale and sit nicely with 40k races as they release more.

Someone else mentioned that they are waiting for the Ulric wolf chapter to come along next :)
Rork
Lord of Khorne
Lord of Khorne

Post by Rork »

They do have a Blood Angels vibe about them. Halos? Gold armour? Death masks? Wings? That's been kicking around in 40k to some degree since 2nd edition.

"Rork.. a wonderful guy :)" - Linda Lobsta Defenda

+++ Team Mulligans +++
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Hey, this is probably the way to lure SM lover "Kevin" into fantasy?
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Underway
Silver Khaine Winner

Post by Underway »

Rork wrote:They do have a Blood Angels vibe about them. Halos? Gold armour? Death masks? Wings? That's been kicking around in 40k to some degree since 2nd edition.

Only fair. 40k's roots are in fantasy battles. The old chaos rules for 40k used fantasy miniatures. In Realms of chaos you could have a goblin with a las cannon. Beast men with bolters, and chaos space marines fighting elves.

And there have been plenty of overlaps with empire and imperial heraldry over the years. I wouldn't be surprised if we saw lots of conversions of these minis to 40k. My cousin is already planning the winged minis into jump marines somehow.

My biggest interest in the possible new looks is how lizard men will change. Now that the seraphs are good daemons and can be summoned I'm sure they won't have an Aztec vibe. Winged lizard men at some point anyone? Does that mean I finally get my dragon people!
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Going back to 3ed. There was the winged coatl down in Lustria with the Amazons and Pygmies.
Back to the old days.

Whilst I am not particularly impressed with the new rules I am hoping for some nice new concepts in the model line. That might give me the motivation I need to get excited with AoS.
Quinn
Cold One Knight

Post by Quinn »

I'm not the first one to say this, but it is pretty obvious they feel they need a 'good guy' faction that is easily recognizable and that can draw in younger players. Space Marines do that for 40K and I assume they are betting the 'Sigmarites' will do that for AoS. There really wasn't a dominant 'good guy' faction in WHFB, it certainly wasn't the Empire (14 year olds don't have much affinity for Renaissance Germany) although HEs were probably the closest. These Sigmarites look like the attempt to remedy that but time will tell.
Pain?....you don't even know what pain is.....yet.
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne
Location: Hinterlands of Khuresh; The Lost City of the Angels

Post by T.D. »

Sigmarines get their gun:

^^The above file is humorously titled "Stormbolters" :lol:

...and a nice conversion:

:P
OldHammer Advanced Ruleset
- Adding Tactical Depth to Your Favourite Tabletop Wargame
Rork
Lord of Khorne
Lord of Khorne

Post by Rork »

Quinn wrote:I'm not the first one to say this, but it is pretty obvious they feel they need a 'good guy' faction that is easily recognizable and that can draw in younger players. Space Marines do that for 40K and I assume they are betting the 'Sigmarites' will do that for AoS. There really wasn't a dominant 'good guy' faction in WHFB, it certainly wasn't the Empire (14 year olds don't have much affinity for Renaissance Germany) although HEs were probably the closest. These Sigmarites look like the attempt to remedy that but time will tell.

That's what I always liked about Warhammer and made it stand apart from 40k - there was no army rocking around as Space Marines, but not in space (Err...Marines?).

Now we've got a bit of GW copy and paste. From their own games this time.

"Rork.. a wonderful guy :)" - Linda Lobsta Defenda

+++ Team Mulligans +++
Coop
Dark Rider

Post by Coop »

Have you seen the new pictures from the limited edition AoS book on the GW site? One of the pictures has the Sigmarites against Khorne Skullcrushers and the Sigmarites have crossbows. They are in an actual space marine pose with a gun.
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Coop wrote:Have you seen the new pictures from the limited edition AoS book on the GW site? One of the pictures has the Sigmarites against Khorne Skullcrushers and the Sigmarites have crossbows. They are in an actual space marine pose with a gun.

Well you have to say, GW know what sells and unfortunately that is Space Marines. You could of course argue that Space Marines sell because GW goes above and beyond to promote them too.
These Sigmarines are going to be a great delight to those who wish to convert.
I am now waiting with a little trepidation on what the Eldar Aelves will look like. I am quite expecting them to look vaguely Aspect warrior ish personally.