Not holding back - Disappointment with the "Exiles" rules

The place for all game discussions on Age of Sigmar.

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Barking Agatha
Corsair

Re: Not holding back - Disappointment with the "Exiles" rule

Post by Barking Agatha »

I can speak up for Witch Elves and Dreadspears. Witch Elves, with a cauldron behind them, have 3 attacks each, hitting on 3's and re-rolling ones (so, only failing on 2's or another 1), wounding on 3's and re-rolling ones again (with Strength of Khaine and Witchbrew). In my last game, 20 Witch Elves ate: 2 units of 6 ogres each, one ironblaster, six Ironguts, and one Firebelly, before their Tyrant finally finished them off after all of those others had whittled them down.

And Dreadspears occupying a ruin have a 4+ save re-rolling 1's and 2's, and hit the charging enemy on 2's (if you have 20 or more models). Charging them with practically anything is a bad idea, nor can you really ignore them. If you need a strong 'you shall not pass' point, they're brilliant.
Lord hajjij
Rotting skull on the Glottkin trail

Post by Lord hajjij »

After a check of the elite infantry units, I'm a bit puzzled. I'd gladly pit my black guard and executioners against their white lions and swormasters. We'd be spraying blood all over the place but we won't be shamed in the match up.

The Phoenix Guard are a bit of mystery. They almost got it all: 2" range, 2 attacks, good hit/wound, 4+ save and then a 4+ ward save. Hm. I imagine that, if they had given the 2" range to another unit (White Lions or Swordmasters) or if they had cut them down to 1 attack, it would have made a far more interesting and balanced comparison. Now they excel in both offense and defense.

Right. Your comparison was more in depth, but what I was trying to say is that "they have the BEST elite infantry" - which they do. Phoenix Guard. Executioners are very very good, no doubt, but that Ward Save mechanic is one of the best things in the game. Bastilidons have something similar, and are amazing.

That said... Both our elite infantry is a bit stronger on the offense. While that may not work on the Phoenix Guard specifically, against most opponents we'll score more wounds and cause bigger battle shocks.

I played 4 games last night and battleshock came into play *exactly once* and only 2 extra models were removed. Too much stuff is immune, or Bravery 10+, a single model, or they simply don't lose enough models (ogres) to make it worth it because it's MODELS lost + d6 not WOUNDS.

They always had 2 heavy cavalry units, compared to our 1, and 3 heavy infantry units compared to our 2. We had Witch Elves and monsters in return.

They have monsters now. And they are just as good if not better than ours.

I don't see what you mean by synergy between Lothern troops. What synergy are you referring to?

Sea Helm with Banner and Sea Guard. That combo is quite good.

In any case, I'm now done with High Elves and complaining about Lizardmen. So unbelievably broken.
So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong and to strike at what is weak.

-Sun Tzu
Lord hajjij

Post by Lord hajjij »

Barking Agatha wrote:I can speak up for Witch Elves and Dreadspears. Witch Elves, with a cauldron behind them, have 3 attacks each, hitting on 3's and re-rolling ones (so, only failing on 2's or another 1), wounding on 3's and re-rolling ones again (with Strength of Khaine and Witchbrew). In my last game, 20 Witch Elves ate: 2 units of 6 ogres each, one ironblaster, six Ironguts, and one Firebelly, before their Tyrant finally finished them off after all of those others had whittled them down.

I'd love to have your dice.

-Sun Tzu
Barking Agatha
Corsair

Post by Barking Agatha »

Lord hajjij wrote:
Barking Agatha wrote:I can speak up for Witch Elves and Dreadspears. Witch Elves, with a cauldron behind them, have 3 attacks each, hitting on 3's and re-rolling ones (so, only failing on 2's or another 1), wounding on 3's and re-rolling ones again (with Strength of Khaine and Witchbrew). In my last game, 20 Witch Elves ate: 2 units of 6 ogres each, one ironblaster, six Ironguts, and one Firebelly, before their Tyrant finally finished them off after all of those others had whittled them down.

I'd love to have your dice.

No! Not my dice! They're mine, I need them!
Lord hajjij

Post by Lord hajjij »

Barking Agatha wrote:No! Not my dice! They're mine, I need them!

Send me yours, and I'll send you back my crappy "snake eyes for CoK charge distance, re-roll one die and get another 1" dice in return.

-Sun Tzu