Age of Sigmar rumours

The place for all game discussions on Age of Sigmar.

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Age of Sigmar rumours

Post by Daeron »

http://natfka.blogspot.co.uk/2015/07/gw ... tions.html

Apparently G.W. is answering questions. While I would take this with a grain of salt, I think it's interesting enough to try out: ask a GW representative at such an event :)

Summary:
- No BRB coming
- Rules will always be free
- The new races will look different to the old ones. As I understand, incompatible.
- There will never be points values.
- They are going to fully support all modes of play, and will be releasing rules to balance armies against each other.
- Tournament rules
- Narrative campaigns
- Books will focus on pictures/background/narrative (and rules but they will also be available online for free)
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
Vulcrist
Executioner

Re: Age of Sigmar rumours

Post by Vulcrist »

Daeron wrote:http://natfka.blogspot.co.uk/2015/07/gw-answers-age-of-sigmar-questions.html

Apparently G.W. is answering questions. While I would take this with a grain of salt, I think it's interesting enough to try out: ask a GW representative at such an event :)

Summary:
- No BRB coming
- Rules will always be free
- The new races will look different to the old ones. As I understand, incompatible.
- There will never be points values.
- They are going to fully support all modes of play, and will be releasing rules to balance armies against each other.
- Tournament rules
- Narrative campaigns
- Books will focus on pictures/background/narrative (and rules but they will also be available online for free)

Sounds like good stuff to me, if true. Looking forward to the next few weeks.
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

It is certainly a start, any interaction between GW and the community is welcome. Shame they stopped doing it years ago.

I believe I also heard they are welcoming player feedback and could update the rules accordingly = Big grain of salt potentially needed here, possibly a whole salt mount.
Vulcrist
Executioner

Post by Vulcrist »

Amboadine wrote:It is certainly a start, any interaction between GW and the community is welcome. Shame they stopped doing it years ago.

I believe I also heard they are welcoming player feedback and could update the rules accordingly = Big grain of salt potentially needed here, possibly a whole salt mount.

As I've been saying for months now (not that anyone here can verify that--sorry) no matter the outcome here, GW has shown me that they are at least trying to do better. And I greatly appreciate that effort.
Kaic
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Kaic »

That article has done a lot to ease my fears. I've was wondering if the silly rules were really just a way of phasing out the old races. I'm really excited to see where GW takes Age of Sigmar. I feel there is a lot of potential here.
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2015/07/ ... rices.html

Summary:
- WARHAMMER: AGE OF SIGMAR BOOK (ENGLISH) 74$
- WARHAMMER: AGE OF SIGMAR BOOK LIMITED ED Other Book 130$
- Dice shakers for Stormcast Eternals or Khorne 40$
- AGE OF SIGMAR COMBAT GAUGE Hobby Product 33$

I can't imagine a gauge worth 33$ but the book looks interesting.
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
Diobarach
Black Guard

Post by Diobarach »

Dice shakers? Crikey, that seems like taking branding to a whole new level.
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

Looks like they are creating a hype. If it was just the merchandizing I would have claimed it was a money grab and nothing more, but looking at the investments they made I think it's a money grab + a genuine effort to create a buzz around the new game and suck people (new and old) into this.

- The stiff breeze
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Hopefully the book is a little more than a rehash of the 96 page book in the starter kit with a hardback cover.
If it comes with a lot more background then I will probably pick one up, as I am not interested in any of the starter kit models.

I agree Daeron that they look like they have put some investment behind it, not sure they expected quite the backlash this received however. Some serious damage mitigation is needed to keep hold of existing community beyond the initial bubble of excitement. From my games so far, the basic rule set is not enough to keep me interested for long. Bit of fun if not taken seriously but currently not one to make me want to spend money in the longer term.
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

There is a very vague rumour on comp:
http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2015/07/ ... eaked.html

It suggests a comp system is in the making for more tournament oriented play:
- 1-12 Warscrolls
- 1-2 Hero Warscrolls
- 0-2 Monster scrolls
- No single Warscroll may contain more than X wounds (i.e. 24)
- Heroes may not be duplicated
- All other warscrolls may only be duplicated once

Personally I wouldn't even consider this rumour as it looks like a notepad printout of a file that wasn't even saved. Go figure.
BUT I think it deserves an honorable mention because it contains a few ideas to give the game an interesting balancing mechanic. A limitation on both scrolls and wounds combined (though I would put that limitation on the total army) may be all that's needed to make an interesting comp. More limitations can be added to taste and to refine the comp system.

However, it should be noted this will also create an imbalance between units. One scroll will be more competitive than the other... But then that's what competition is about and this was the trend of 8th edition (nobody used Bleakswords and Dreadspears).

- The stiff breeze
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Still allowing you to bring an Exile Warhost (6 scrolls) plus an Exile Blood Cult (5 scrolls) and decide at first drop during deployment, depending on the opponent's mood and the terrain, if you field either one Warhost or a more balanced and numerous army including both warhosts plus a K-beast (12 warscrolls total).

Note that the limits seems to be on what you place on the table, not on what you bring in the shop, so you might well bring in 50 scrolls and field any 12 from them - deciding which after terrain is set.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

I think it would be fairer, for comp, to limit what you can bring and let players choose what to field from that list. This may make an interesting tic-tac-toe system in the drop logic, where you will try to counter one potential infavourable drop with another.
But... that's all theory. It will need a lot of playtesting to get the hang of this.

- The stiff breeze