Just a thought, for scenario/deployment based comp.

The place for all game discussions on Age of Sigmar.

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Just a thought, for scenario/deployment based comp.

Post by Daeron »

So, an idea.. a bit out of the box thinking..
Instead of comping with points, etc, comp through deployment regions.

For example, a first scenario could look like this, where north tries to capture the grey box (which is a building or something) south.

The top player can deploy in the purple region, and anything (s)he wants as long as there is room. The bottom player can field only troops without keyword monster or hero in the grey box, anything else in the red box or the yellow box. Troops that are in the yellow box count as reinforcements. At the start of every turn, they enter the game on the roll of an x+.
A second scenario could use different kinds of filters in its deployment regions, forcing the participants to use varied lists.
It would require a base regulation, but it looks like a fair few tournament packs already include that.

Just a thought.
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
Barking Agatha
Corsair

Re: Just a thought, for scenario/deployment based comp.

Post by Barking Agatha »

Looks great! Would there be a turn limit?
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Re: Just a thought, for scenario/deployment based comp.

Post by Daeron »

Sorry for the late response. The example given is not a fixed scenario per se but merely an example. The concept I tried to illustrate is that army size could be comped by using the rules as written, and limiting the deployment area allowed for one's army. One would, literally, be limited in the size of army that could be deployed. Larger models would be penalized because of their size.

By fragmenting the deployment zone into regions, with a filter on keywords for each region, you could imply a balance in army composition as well. For example, the first scenario in a tournament could offer you a big region where you may deploy any infantry troops and heroes. So you have to balance the space taken by heroes with the space taken by infantry within your army. Obviously heroes are more powerful so it would be tempting to have as many heroes instead of infantry.
This is where a second scenario should counter that. A second scenario could offer a large space for infantry without heroes, and another space for heroes and monsters, balancing those two against each other.

As such, an army would be encouraged to balance its model choices so that it can optimally use the deployment space in both scenarios. If you'd have too many heroes, you'd be limited in the amount of infantry you can take because of scenario 1 and limited in the monster you can take because of scenario 2. If you take too many monsters, you'll have to cut back on heroes because of scenario 2. Etc.

It's a bit unconventional, but I think it can be a fun way to balance things :P
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze