Training scenarios - Making a bootcamp

The place for all game discussions on Age of Sigmar.

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Training scenarios - Making a bootcamp

Post by Daeron »

I started playing the intro campaign of AoS and quite enjoyed the first missions designed to familiarize the players with the new mechanics. It had a nice flow to it.

It made me wonder if we could expand on that idea, by creating new training scenarios specifically designed to teach us a particular aspect of the game, or tactics which we may need as a Dark Elf player.

For example, I'm studying the use of Watch Towers and having a bit of fun working out (maths) how to maximize some of its effects. I'm considering designing a scenario around it to get some hands-on experience on using it.
Likewise, I can imagine some training scenario can be made to test the use of each piece of terrain/scenery.
Using my maths, I can try to devise a short scenario (10-20 mins?) that requires the tactic to come out victorious.

But why stop there? There could be specific tactics and tricks to our army that we need to master.
So I was wondering what tricks, no matter how simple, do you know that can be added to this list?

More importantly, if we were to make such a collection of training scenarios, what would these scenarios need to get you interested in playing them?
- Would they have to be played by 2 players? Or do you prefer to have them solo? Or one of each so that you can learn the basics at home and then train with an opponent?
- In what format do you want them? Nicely collected on a webpage? A forum post? A printable format?
- Would you be interested in Druchii.net bootcamp campaign, which is a collection of scenarios you have to play (and post a battle report on) to obtain an achievement?

Any other ideas and thoughts are welcome!
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
Malys the younger
Beastmaster

Re: Training scenarios - Making a bootcamp

Post by Malys the younger »

-Would they have to be played by 2 players? Or do you prefer to have them solo? Or one of each so that you can learn the basics at home and then train with an opponent?
- In what format do you want them? Nicely collected on a webpage? A forum post? A printable format?
- Would you be interested in Druchii.net bootcamp campaign, which is a collection of scenarios you have to play (and post a battle report on) to obtain an achievement?

1: I think easy initial scenarios that can be solo to learn the basics and easily converted to two player would be interesting. For instance, perhaps the solo training would be 10 dreadspears sparring with another unit of dreadspears or bleakswords (or two like units that a DE player would have). Perhaps the terrain/deployment is set so that in this context its like an "arena" of sorts. In the two player format it would be 10 dreadspears against the opponent's comparable force. This would allow for players to learn the basics of movement to combat. Later on the same thing could be applied to hero training, wizard training, etc so that you could learn the mechanics in small doses rather than trying to learn in all in one game.

2: A print friendly webpage would be nice.

3: I would be interested in a bootcamp campaign. I think this kind of bottom up effort is the type of thing that might persuade some of the nay sayers. I haven't played myself yet but now my curiosity is piqued.

The Grim Host of Malys the Younger: http://druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75760

Overall W/D/L: 5/0/3
vs Empire: 1/0/0
vs Wood Elves: 2/0/2
vs Beastmen: 2/0/0
vs Vampire Counts: 0/0/1
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

I like this idea of solo tutorial.
It would help people to get into the game and be less shy next time they go to a club (and yes, that includes me).
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

Thank you very much for the feedback so far. Perhaps we could start, to get the hang of it, by an alternative starter campaign?
Would it make sense to focus it around the warhost box?
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Daeron wrote:Thank you very much for the feedback so far. Perhaps we could start, to get the hang of it, by an alternative starter campaign?
Would it make sense to focus it around the warhost box?

I would suggest that is a good place to start.
Perhaps in addition to make it more relevant to the site, there could also be suggestions for Dark elf models that could be used as substitutes whilst keeping the essence of the scenario at the same power level.
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

Most certainly! It will definitely be focused on dark elf models!
:D

- The stiff breeze
Icon hack
Druchii Anointed
Druchii Anointed

Post by Icon hack »

Daeron wrote:...So I was wondering what tricks, no matter how simple, do you know that can be added to this list? ...

Any other ideas and thoughts are welcome!

Well, I'm just beginning to understand some of the depth of tactics available in AoS that wasn't available previously, but a couple of things that I think are important is to gain an understanding of different ways to use different formations to your advantage, as well as using the 3" zone of control to limit your enemy's movement. I think both of these subjects could be examined in at least one scenario each.
Wishing everyone the very best, to the end of your days.