HobbyKiller Blog - Thoughts on Comp - Part 1

The place for all game discussions on Age of Sigmar.

Moderator: The Dread Knights

HobbyKiller
Slave (off the Altar)

HobbyKiller Blog - Thoughts on Comp - Part 1

Post by HobbyKiller »

In this first part of a 2 part blog I discuss my thoughts on comp and how to go about constructing it - https://hobbykiller.wordpress.com/2015/ ... mp-part-1/
AOS blog from a competitive players perspective - https://hobbykiller.wordpress.com
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Re: HobbyKiller Blog - Thoughts on Comp - Part 1

Post by Calisson »

Interesting start. Will read what follows with interest.

Comments:
list of the following 5 differentiators:

Ability to cast magic, ability to cast multiples is important
Equipped with a missile weapon
Having a weapon (missile or combat) or an ability (excluding magic) that has damage greater than 1
Having the monster keyword
Having the ability to self-heal and / or heal others
1. Range of damage influence.
You say that Movement has not enough an impact to be a differentiator.
When Morathi moves 16" and flies, compared to warmachines which move 4", it is hard to ignore.

For Shooting, you do not take the range into account. 36" compared to 9" of RHB or hydra breath are not at all the same.
In one case, you can safely shoot with little fear of being charged, in the second case, you can shoot only in charge range.

Would it be conceiveable for example to combine these two factors, such as:
add weapon's maximum range (or offensive spell's maximum range if superior) + add movement + add 2 if model can fly + add 2 if model has a special deployment rule.
Units for which the total is more than 25 have one more differentiator.

2. Wounds and attacks.
I assume you are going to compare total wounds in each army.
Indeed, monsters do compare well to multiple model units, as their efficiency decreases similarly as such unit.

If you do so, then it might make sense to alter slightly one of your criteria:
Having a weapon (missile or combat) or an ability (excluding magic) that has damage greater than 1
For example, having a six wounds model such as a chariot dealing six attacks seems fair compared to a one wound model dealing one attack.
What would you think about such criteria as:
Having a weapon (missile or combat) or an ability (excluding magic) that has damage greater than the number of wounds the model has.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
HobbyKiller
Slave (off the Altar)

Re: HobbyKiller Blog - Thoughts on Comp - Part 1

Post by HobbyKiller »

Thanks for the feedback and all good points - what I am aiming for is as simple as possible - this will of course throw some aberrations out - as every comp system does - but I want to try and deal with them on a global basis as much as possible.

Plan would be to review every 3 months and adjust on that basis - by the way have you tried writing any lists under it - would be interesting to see what you come up with .
AOS blog from a competitive players perspective - https://hobbykiller.wordpress.com