Un-Welcome to the Age of Sigmar

The place for all game discussions on Age of Sigmar.

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Flam1ng0
Slave on the Altar

Re: Un-Welcome to the Age of Sigmar

Post by Flam1ng0 »

@Red: Yeah I can just imagine the hype for it. The world ends again (unable to bear the weight of Sigmar's pauldrons I imagine). ''These were the End Times. But they were also the beginning..." Only the Realm of Chaos returns, and the Chaos Gods think that they have achieved ultimate victory. Then they realise that they didn't remake the world. "The Chaos Gods thought that this realm belonged to them. But they were mistaken. It was his realm..." And BOOM!! Oxyotl comes out of the shadows and starts taking daemons down, one by one, a one-man army like Rambo, on a relentless quest to the Chaos Gods. "And for the first time in their existence, the Chaos Gods knew fear. For this was not their time. This was the Age of Oxyotl." !lol! For my next trick, Age of Ramhotep haha!

@Cultofkhaine: That's one positive though. I'm excited to see the many ways die-hard WFB players keep the game alive, especially now that WFB is unsupported now. So much potential, I just hope I can find a group like this in Australia though :| .

@Rork: You sir, win the internet. +100.
Lokhir
-..v_v..Lokhir Fellheart
-..(--)..Conqueror
..U( )U.of Ind
The Mattler
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by The Mattler »

Flam1ng0 wrote:@The Mattler, it is great that you are into Age of Sigmar, and I genuinely hope you enjoy the game. But this thread is very specifically for those of us who are disgruntled, annoyed and frankly just p*ssed off about the changes and, more prominently, GW's bullsh*t. Your optimism is wasted here, and is much better used on the 'Welcome' thread that is dedicated to a positive outlook to AoS instead. We just don't like AoS, it's that simple, so let us have this outlet to voice our disapproval please.

No worries, just trying to ensure that nobody screwed up reading the rules as badly as Death Holy Death did before he burned his Dark Elves. You won't get any flak from me for disliking a game system so long as you understand how it works, but it would be a shame for people to make snap judgements based on incorrect information and fear-mongering. I'm right there with you when it comes to the flavour of the setting, though, but I console myself by thinking of my Canadian Torture Legions Dark Elves invading the Age of Sigmar from the Warhammer World to spite GW's messiah complex.

Was that more in line with the theme of this thread? :)
Flam1ng0
Slave on the Altar

Post by Flam1ng0 »

@The Mattler: Yeah, Death Holy Death was a fool, I would have happily taken it off his hands for free if he wanted to get rid off his army so badly :D Oh well, the Druchii community and the wargaming community as a whole is better off without him if he is going to be that dramatic about it. I shall rename my Ogre Firebelly after him, as they both like burning armies! !lol!

I apologise if I came off as a bit intense earlier, and I don't want to take enjoyment out of other people's gaming experiences (that has happened to me before and it sucks, hence why I don't play 40k any more :P). I'm just insulted by the dumb fluffy rules and struggling to understand why they removed the points system. I'm glad you've had good experiences with the game play though.

Now, we can both agree that they have royally butchered the fluff! However, I like your alternative :) The thought of Lokhir Fellheart effortlessly leaping around and dicing up Sigmarines to the anger of GW is quite amusing! I wonder how good a slave a Stormcast Eternal makes though ;)

I think that is definitely more in line with the thread haha :D
Lokhir
-..v_v..Lokhir Fellheart
-..(--)..Conqueror
..U( )U.of Ind
Diobarach
Black Guard

Post by Diobarach »

Well I've played a few games now and perhaps I'll change my tune after more games but right now I'm not feeling this. I'm not interested in carting my entire collection around with me just so I can better react to whatever my opponent brings/deploys. Maybe, once in a while I'd be up for it just to try something different but every game, no thanks. Furthermore, unless new warhosts or formations or whatever they are called get released some things are just flat worse than others. Why bring dreadspears over blackguard? Blackguard are just better than them. Why take darkshards instead of shades? Shades just seem better.

That's just internal to dark elves, external balance is just all over the place. Yup, here's my Slaan, he's going to be bringing in a scar vet on carnosaur, or whateverthedon every chance he can (they are only 1 model).

Also facing horde armies turns into a snoozefest after enough pile ins have occured, hang on while i individually move my 40+ clanrats, 10 minutes later, ok now let me measure from each of their spears on each of these clanrats to see who can attack, 10 minutes later....
Omnichron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Omnichron »

Flam1ng0 wrote:Yeah, Death Holy Death was a fool, I would have happily taken it off his hands for free if he wanted to get rid off his army so badly

He probably knew he could sell or give his army to anyone, but he wanted to really put out a statement and did it in the right way... at least imo.

Anyways AoS is poor design... maybe not that horrible if you see it from a perspective of a new player, and I guess that is the whole idea behind the game. However I still think it is a huge "f*** you" to those who played WHFB and loved the intricate rules as well as strategic gameplay. If I wanted simplified, I would play 40k (which I did in the past and still got those miniatures packed up), or maybe some other kind of miniature game.

I really tried to be positive about AoS, and I kinda was for a little while. I mean, a somewhat simplified 8th could be fun to some degree... however I really dislike the mechanics of the game, and I just have a bitter taste in my mouth. Since GW has been great at alienating my friends away from the game(s) already, I probably won't be playing anything coming out by GW again. There are just so many other good games to play out there, so why pick up AoS?
Personal quote: "It's better to do little damage and lose nothing than to do lots of damage and lose everything."
Final tournament score for 7th DE book in 8th edition - W/D/L: 25/5/10
Arquinsiel
Shadowdancer

Post by Arquinsiel »

Red... wrote:<snip>But then this is rehashing old arguments for an edition that is no longer supported :badh:

T.D. wrote:<snip>replaced visual guessing with probability management (which is an art in itself) <snip>

That all said, I can see why others like the original approach. Just one of those things which splits the playerbase I guess. Which brings me to... (avoiding derailing the other thread):

Responding to both posts together, because they are similar in content, a couple of points were raised.

1: if you were guessing the movement then you were doing headmaths wrong. The table is a known size, and Pythagorus Theorum is really simple.

2: you're both right about it switching to a probability management game, but the thing is... if you want a pure probability management game then there are way better games out there for it. 40k was, at the time, exactly that. Battletech beat the pants off both. The new Alpha Strike version of the rules is even fast playing and simple. With the removal of reliable movement ranges, which are perfectly realistic as per above, it stopped being about Law of Large Numbers calculations and trig, and turned into a "2D6 of frig you" game which got in the way of that existing probabilistic calculation.
Of course, I also never took Cold One anything for this exact reason, so this is in large part a peculiarity of my mindset, and it's a purely personal objection to 8th edition. They also did a lot right, like setting out the rulebook clearly for the first time in forever, but they did other dumb things like causing depth-first/breadth-first evaluation problems with the way special rules nested into each other (I used to really enjoy explaining how to stack Frenzy to gain potentially infinite attacks to non-techy people and watching their heads melt).

T.D. wrote:
The Mattler wrote:What I'd like to see is a resurgence of the old Druchii.net mentality of exploration and tactical development instead of the pointless, butthurt bitching going on right now. When life gives you lemons, sacrifice them to Khaine! :twisted:

On the contrary, when life gives you lemons, you sacrifice the person giving you the lemons to Khaine; in this case the personage being a company known as GW. <snip to end>
Well said and insightful.

The Mattler wrote:You can send them email, but you will never get a reply unless a you're talking to a Forge World rep, and even then it isn't likely.

This is not actually true. I got a response about bad behaviour from a store manager which effectively lied to cover his ass. When I pointed out that the "bad behaviour" technically crossed the line into "legally actually assault here" and that I knew they were lying to cover him because the rules that were "always that way" weren't when I worked in the store... well then I didn't get a reply.

Rork wrote:From my other main interest, I've found GW's inspiration!

:burns:
ImageImageImageImage
faerthurir wrote:Arq kicked me in the gyros.
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Screaming Bell + Kairos.

This is not a game.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Flam1ng0
Slave on the Altar

Post by Flam1ng0 »

Lol apparently Warhammer World is going to host a tournament for AoS. I hope somebody shows GW how broken and flawed this 'game' is.
Lokhir
-..v_v..Lokhir Fellheart
-..(--)..Conqueror
..U( )U.of Ind
The Mattler
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by The Mattler »

Dalamar wrote:Screaming Bell + Kairos.

This is not a game.

Since you're spreading that rumour, I'll say here what I said in the Rick Priestly thread:

The possible results of a D6 are 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, or 6; Kairos does not have the ability to set the dice roll to any other number. In the Oracle of Eternity rule, if you replace "result" with "top face" you'll see how the grammar supports that interpretation. It doesn't say "a" or "any" result; the definite article indicates that the result must be drawn from the set of possible results. It's annoying that GW likes to use "dice" for both the singular and the plural, but the same logic applies regardless of the number of dice and how broadly you want to interpret the word "roll".
Killerk
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Killerk »

Fielding 3x more TK model's then your opponent is also not a game. It's no fun to dice roll a player off the table.
Also known as Kanadian
Arquinsiel
Shadowdancer

Post by Arquinsiel »

The Mattler wrote:
Dalamar wrote:Screaming Bell + Kairos.

This is not a game.

Since you're spreading that rumour, I'll say here what I said in the Rick Priestly thread:

The possible results of a D6 are 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, or 6; Kairos does not have the ability to set the dice roll to any other number. In the Oracle of Eternity rule, if you replace "result" with "top face" you'll see how the grammar supports that interpretation. It doesn't say "a" or "any" result; the definite article indicates that the result must be drawn from the set of possible results. It's annoying that GW likes to use "dice" for both the singular and the plural, but the same logic applies regardless of the number of dice and how broadly you want to interpret the word "roll".
Well since you're not using the rules as worded either I won't bother and Fateweaver also declared that they were rolling D20s.

The fact that this is even a possible conversation is enough to declare "bad gaem".
ImageImageImageImage
The Mattler
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by The Mattler »

Killerk wrote:It's no fun to dice roll a player off the table.

That's not included in my requirements for fun, but it's not a deal-breaker for me. If it's a deal-breaker for you, stop playing GW games, since dice rolling a player off the table is the central feature of their game mechanics. It may or may not play as central a role in tabletop games from other companies, but it's ubiquitous in GW products.
Killerk wrote:Fielding 3x more TK model's then your opponent is also not a game. It's no fun to dice roll a player off the table.

Correct me if I've misunderstood you, but I'm going to assume that you're talking about the summoning mechanics. I admit, I didn't look too deeply into the Tomb Kings Warscroll, but I did go through the Vampire Counts Warscroll to prepare the following message in a conversation I had with another person on YouTube. I will say this, though: the VC seem to be able to summon a lot more units than the TK, and I'm not particularly stressed about them.
The Mattler wrote:Each wizard can only cast each spell once per turn, so to summon a bunch of different models, you need to start the game with at least one unit of each type you want to summon, and preferably with multiple wizards. Furthermore, the rules state that summoned models don't count toward starting models, but do count for casualties, and since the victory conditions check casualties as a percentage of starting models, you can win any game against a summoning army by killing a number of models equal to their starting model count. As long as you don't get wiped, you can earn a Minor Victory no matter how many extra units they dump onto the board.

Nagash is still a crazy summoning machine, so if someone wanted to max out the number of summoning spells with the minimum number of starting models, they'd have to deploy 8 models with Nagash at the start of the battle: 1 Morghast Harbinger, 1 Morghast Archai, 1 Varghulf, 1 Bat Swarm, 1 Cairn Wraith, 1 Tomb Banshee, 1 Terrorgheist, 1 Zombie Dragon. After that, they need to bring the following per turn: 4 Morghast Harbingers, 4 Morghast Archai, 2 Varghulfs, 2 Cairn Wraiths, 2 Tomb Banshees, 6 Bat Swarms, 2 Terrorgheists, and 2 Zombie Dragons. If that army took no casualties, that's 153 models between deployment and 6 rounds.

There are some problems with such an army. First, it trickles onto the battlefield; it begins its opponent's first turn with 33 models in play, and since the opponent got to deploy whatever they wanted after the summoning army passed, there's potential for a ton of shooting to occur. If it loses 9 models and doesn't wipe out the opponent, it loses the game. Interestingly, the summon spells are granted by the summonable units, so as written the rule granting the spell vanishes when all instances of the summonable unit are removed from the table, so targeting particular unit types reduces the number of models summoned in subsequent turns.

A much smarter idea for a summoning army is to swap out some of the units in the above list for bulkier (and more dangerous) units like Zombies, Skeleton Warriors, and Crypt Ghouls, but that makes the model count skyrocket and probably gives up Sudden Death even as it removes the problem of giving up Minor Victory on failed wipeout. Whether it's 153 models or well over 1000, anybody willing to assemble and paint all of them gets props from me, but you can be damn sure that if I face such a list I'll be making them play the game right to the very end. If my opponent wants to push around hundreds of assembled, painted undead each turn, they just wanted it more, and that battlefield is going to look amazing.

Arquinsiel wrote:Well since you're not using the rules as worded either I won't bother and Fateweaver also declared that they were rolling D20s.
I read the rules as written, and then provided an expanded explanation of why Kairos' Oracle of Eternity doesn't work as you claim it does. The grammar matters. More importantly, though, it's a permissive rule set, so you can't do anything that the rules don't explicitly allow you to do, including changing the tools used to run the game mechanics:
Age of Sigmar Rules wrote:Warhammer: Age of Sigmar uses six-sided dice (sometimes abbreviated to D6).
Arquinsiel
Shadowdancer

Post by Arquinsiel »

The Mattler wrote:
Arquinsiel wrote:Well since you're not using the rules as worded either I won't bother and Fateweaver also declared that they were rolling D20s.
I read the rules as written, and then provided an expanded explanation of why Kairos' Oracle of Eternity doesn't work as you claim it does. The grammar matters. More importantly, though, it's a permissive rule set, so you can't do anything that the rules don't explicitly allow you to do, including changing the tools used to run the game mechanics:
Age of Sigmar Rules wrote:Warhammer: Age of Sigmar uses six-sided dice (sometimes abbreviated to D6).

http://www.games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/AoS_Compendiums/warhammer-aos-skaven-en.pdf wrote:Peal of Doom:
In your hero phase, the
Screaming Bell tolls. Roll two dice, add the
scores together and consult the table below
to see what happens (no modifiers can be
applied to this roll). If a result says that it
effects units ‘within range of the Peal of
Doom’, consult the Damage Table above to
see the current range of that effect

http://www.games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/AoS_Compendiums/warhammer-aos-daemons-of-chaos-en.pdf wrote:Oracle of eternity:
Once per game, you
can change the result of a single dice roll to
the result of your choosing

I have helpfully hilighted the reason your logic is not valid. This is bad design.
ImageImageImageImage
Killerk
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Killerk »

The Mattler I will not reply to your bullshit posts any further, pleas stop commenting mine.

Thank you.

Arquinsiel, that is your interpretation, and well it should work they way you claim, but it is written in a totally different manner.
Also known as Kanadian
Arquinsiel
Shadowdancer

Post by Arquinsiel »

But... I literally just quoted how it is written. That's it right there. It is clear that "result" means "what you rolled on this here table".
ImageImageImageImage
The Mattler
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by The Mattler »

Killerk wrote:The Mattler I will not reply to your bullshit posts any further, pleas stop commenting mine.

Thank you.

No. On a public forum, it's hypocritical to demand that the validity of your claims cannot be questioned, even indirectly by attempting to ban dialogue between two parties. If you have evidence that my arguments are incorrect, present it as such cases arise. Also, as far as I know, there has been only one exception to my treating you respectfully (please point out others if you find them), which you referenced here:

Killerk wrote:Hostilities ? .... my response should not be taken as such in any possible manner. It's a taunt to answer his mockery. But in no way hostile.

If you check the posts and the time stamps, you'll notice that I removed the offending phrase "you guys crack me up" prior to the above feigned innocence on your part. Its use was a mistake, for which I apologize. Unfortunately, the comment you tried to pass off as benign, however, is not an anomaly, but all too typical of your manner in these discussions, which could use more content and less empty invective:

Killerk wrote:Mattler sorry but your clearly working for GW, or are on some nasty drugs. Making you ither a lair or deluded. In short unreliable.

And the all your bable defending aos as something less then worthless is just sad. Example. You claim some maneuvering is usable. Well moving in a strait line doesn't count.
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

[Mod on]Could we adjust the tone of the conversation appropriately, please gentlemen?
Thank you.
Calisson
[Mod off]
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Flam1ng0
Slave on the Altar

Post by Flam1ng0 »

@The Mattler, why are you still on this thread trying to argue the positives of AoS when the thread is literally intended for people who are discontented with the new system? GW has already ruined our gaming system. There are numerous threads dedicated to the positive outlooks of AoS, go post on there and let us betrayed and angered gamers have our allocated outlet. You're starting to purposely p*ss people off and it's not fair on the poor mods who have to keep this thread civil.
Lokhir
-..v_v..Lokhir Fellheart
-..(--)..Conqueror
..U( )U.of Ind
Killerk
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Killerk »

Because GW has sent people to try and damage control on all the major forums, Suddenly there is a few new nicks that convince the rest of us that their shiz product is worth investing in. Their new approch to listen to the community.
Also known as Kanadian
Arquinsiel
Shadowdancer

Post by Arquinsiel »

I think you may be over-estimating GW's competence and under-estimating how much The Mattler actually likes the game.
ImageImageImageImage
Killerk
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Killerk »

well almost the exact same thing was posted over at the HE forum, the more people dislike the more active the GW bot is.
Also known as Kanadian
The Mattler
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by The Mattler »

Flam1ng0 wrote:@The Mattler, why are you still on this thread trying to argue the positives of AoS when the thread is literally intended for people who are discontented with the new system? GW has already ruined our gaming system. There are numerous threads dedicated to the positive outlooks of AoS, go post on there and let us betrayed and angered gamers have our allocated outlet. You're starting to purposely p*ss people off and it's not fair on the poor mods who have to keep this thread civil.

I don't like the fluff changes. I don't like how GW scrapped a system they could have improved with less effort via a long-awaited overhaul than the slapdash scratch-build they've attempted, however much promise some of those ideas might have. I don't like the inevitable process of phasing out/replacing the Dark Elf model line I've collected. I'm angry about all of those things, but at least those things are true, whereas some of you are getting suckered into being angry at things that aren't true, and have only become angrier when shown that you've been misled in some regards.
Killerk wrote:Because GW has sent people to try and damage control on all the major forums, Suddenly there is a few new nicks that convince the rest of us that their shiz product is worth investing in. Their new approch to listen to the community.

If there's one lesson from all the social media references to GW I posted, it's that GW is not interested in engaging in any sort of dialogue with its customers; they continue to limit their online presence to sending Cease & Desist orders to web sites that publish copyrighted material or criticism of their business. Nobody here, myself included, is deemed important enough by GW to warrant breaking the long silence they have systematically established. That's also legitimate cause for anger, but concocting conspiracy theories to the contrary is just more waste.

At your request, this is the last message I will post on this thread.
Arquinsiel
Shadowdancer

Post by Arquinsiel »

The Mattler wrote:Nobody here, myself included, is deemed important enough by GW to warrant breaking the long silence they have systematically established.
I can post screenshots if people really want.
ImageImageImageImage
Killerk
Malekith's Best Friend

About points..

Post by Killerk »

You don't need points, but you need good rules, AoS does not have either.

Making comp to a stupid game (rule wise) just leaves you with a comped stupid game.

I'v been running a tournament in 4 different cities as a series for 4 yeas now (been running tournaments over 10 years ). I told the guys that we will play 9th ed no matter what it look like, I actually told them GW cant frig up sooo much, it will be like with 8th, people will groan and moan, and eventually they will accept the changes.

Well GW messed it up royally, what surprised even me, and I don't regard their games very highly, but AoS is a new low for them.

Mod note: moved to the appropriate topic.

Rork edit: Oi! Language. Keep it clean or keep it to yourself.
Also known as Kanadian
Killerk
Malekith's Best Friend

army sizes - selecting an army

Post by Killerk »

The only thing you can do to balance armies is play a different game.

Adding point costs to a game with badly written rules, you'll still have a bad game, as the core of the game is messed up, adding point values wont change that.

Mod note: moved to appropriate topic.
Also known as Kanadian