First AoS Tournament in the UK?

The place for all game discussions on Age of Sigmar.

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

First AoS Tournament in the UK?

Post by Daeron »

So it looks like the first AoS tournament, that I know of, finished just a few days ago.
Here's the original thread of information:
http://warhammer.org.uk/phpBB/viewtopic ... 3&t=127740

A link to the comp rules:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/882 ... 20v1.0.pdf

Army sizes were decided by a simple pool choice mechanic:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/882 ... 20v1.0.pdf

And then they added some soft comps to summoning and shooting.

The TO's feedback:
After watching lots of games at Clash, and talking to people on their thoughts, I do think AoS can be played competitively. Just needs work.

I read that as: a comp pack is required for it to work as a tournament game, but it's doable.
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
Rork
Lord of Khorne
Lord of Khorne

Re: First AoS Tournament in the UK?

Post by Rork »

I think that it will interesting to see what becomes the "standard" for tournament play. At this stage we're going to see a few competing army selection mechanics...and maybe even a few will co-exist.

And there's laziness. Copy and paste may win out for smaller events with busy organisers...

"Rork.. a wonderful guy :)" - Linda Lobsta Defenda

+++ Team Mulligans +++
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

I think there will be a very high diversity in the comp systems, for now. Although I find that there's two systems already "dominant" on the market. One is "SDK", a point system. The other is "Pool" or a pool mechanic. While technically, they offer the same: a point cost associated with each unit/number of models, one is considerably more complex than the other.

A scroll builder has been made that supports both systems:
http://www.scrollbuilder.com/

I quite like the pool system, as it's more flexible, easier and more forgiving towards scenarios.
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Interesting idea on the pool option, although it does seem a fair amount of upkeep and adjust would be needed.

What I find interesting is that they didn't take basic Sigmarines as a baseline to comp against, just penalised them. I am fairly sure these will be a constant within the game ongoing and could have been the data point against which everything else could be measured. Might have made it easier as time goes on to rebalance the newer races as they are released.

EDIT - Thinking further what I seem to be suggesting is basically a points system..... I shall think further on Pooling.
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

I doubt it's more work to maintain than, say, ETC or Swedish comp. There were quite a few complex comp systems out there for WFB as well. In fact, when I built my 2400pts list that I'd prepare for tournaments, I quickly learned there would be very few tournaments I would actually be able to use the list as is because WFB and the comp packs were all "subtly" or not so subtly different for every tournament.

I think AoS is going to head down a similar path. But perhaps, in its initial fase, where competition is as inexperienced as I am, my soft army lists might stand a better chance :P

- The stiff breeze
Jal
Warrior

Post by Jal »

Mo ran Clash and I'm working with him on the pack (I'm running London's Calling in November).

We've pulled together alot of the TOs in England and are trying to massage the comp/pools for the next set of tournaments. We're essentially looking to work on a base level of comp/pools and then each TO can adjust as they see fit for their own event.

I was at Clash (Amit Hindocha) and it is playable competitively. It does need some work though
Amit Hindocha

9th AGOM VIII, Best DE
3rd SCGT 2012, Best DE
8th Tribute 2012
9th Downfall 2012
2nd Tides of Chaos 2013
3rd Battlefield Birmingham 2014, Best DE
2nd Brighton Warlords 2014, Best DE
5th Pompey Pillage 2014
3rd Bristol Stormlords 2014, Best DE
8th Tribute 2014
6th Sheffield Slaughter 2015
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

That's very nice feedback Jal, thanks. Do keep us posted on your works and efforts. I'll try to read and hear as much as I can about it. :P

- The stiff breeze
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

So the first GW campaign pack is out.
Their comp solution. 100 models max per army, that's it. :)
All problems solved then obviously, what were people thinking coming up with their own comp packs. :roll:

http://warhammerworld.games-workshop.com/wp-content/uploads/Age-of-Sigmar-Campaign-Weekend-The-Realmgate-Wars.pdf
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

The way I see it, they'll be monitoring and moderating it on the go, putting powerful lists vs powerful lists. But that's just a thought :P
There's an AoS tourney in September in my local GW shop, capped at 50 wounds and balanced around the start box armies. I'm interested in going and seeing how they manage.

- The stiff breeze
Sebrent Tehroth
Slave on the Altar

Post by Sebrent Tehroth »

Amboadine wrote:So the first GW campaign pack is out.
Their comp solution. 100 models max per army, that's it. :)
All problems solved then obviously, what were people thinking coming up with their own comp packs. :roll:

http://warhammerworld.games-workshop.com/wp-content/uploads/Age-of-Sigmar-Campaign-Weekend-The-Realmgate-Wars.pdf

Heck, the only actual rules they provided are that you must use Games Workshop products.

I hope people with Goblins, Skaven, etc. are happy taking 100 models. Probably not as happy as Ogre, Chaos, etc. players are with taking 100 models.l
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

I think the hope is that people turn up looking for a bit of a laugh and want to play in a non competitive atmosphere.
The problem is that where there are prizes and something to play for, people start becoming exactly what they are trying to avoid.