Unsure about terms?

The place for all game discussions on Age of Sigmar.

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Phox532
Executioner

Unsure about terms?

Post by Phox532 »

Greeting fellow Druchii.

I am hoping for some clarification on some terms, and if there are any others that I haven't thought of. I am new to the game can trying like mad to get caught up to you vets. So here are my questions?
Unit- Is a unit the model or is it a group of models? Sometime when I'm reading I see it what I am persumming is to be both ways. There was one post where someone said they had 40 units of dreadspears. Does this mean 40 models or 400 models if 400 models this you sir have all my respect for some massive painting projects.
Pile in- I'm not sure what this means. I read it in the rules and on here, but I'm not sure how this works, and what purpose it serves.
Wounds and Mortal Wounds- Now I understand that every model has wounds on them, does this mean life points? And are mortal wounds like critical hits? Again not 100% sure but trying to figure it out.
Battle Shock- I have been reading the war scrolls at there are units that prevent this, so I have concluded that its bad and I need to prevent it, but I don't full understand what it is and why it's bad.
Mages- Now I want to have a unit of Doom Fire Warlocks, cause Horse Magic Missiles sound awesome, but I'm not sure how casting spells work or how dispelling works, Do all five of my warlocks act as one, or do each have a go?
Full Command- I see the a lot on here, but I don't know what it means. I think it has something to do with standard bearer, horn guy, and leader? Am I right? My next question is isn't every unit a full command unit? Or why would not want to all three of those in a unit?

Last is not really a term but more how many models can be in one group or one army? Is there a limit? Can I have 60 Cold One Knight Models, in one unit?

`edited spelling
Last edited by Phox532 on Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Phox Jorkarzul
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Re: Unsure about terms?

Post by Calisson »

Most of your questions - not all of them - have answers in Age of Sigmar rules, which can be downloaded from GW website.

Druchii (not drachii) is the name of Dark Elf faction in Warhammer. In Age of Sigmar, it is hardly used anymore, only spears and swords are told to be "druchii".

Unit = group of models. Some units are made of a single model, most are made of several models.
In AoS, the description of a unit starts always with the number of models it may have:
A Sorceress on Cold One is a single model.
A unit of Cold One Knights can have 5 or more models.

Pile in: AoS rules p.3, combat phase.

Wounds, mortal wounds: AoS rules p.4.

Battle Shock: AoS rules p.3.

Mages: AoS rules p.4. In the description of warlocks, you'll see that it is the unit, not the models, which cast spells.

Full Command: This is used in Warhammer, not in AOS. It describes in a unit the three models standing out from mere rank-and-file: the champion, the standard bearer and the musician.
Most multiple-model units have them three, some have only one or two, like the warlocks having only a champion.
Note that these are not mandatory, it is always possible to take none. Note that in Warhammer, you may have only one of each kind, while in AoS it is not limited as long as it is authorised (but having multiple of them does not bring any additional benefit).

Last, the maximum number of models in a unit may be limited by the unit description; usually it is limited for single-model unit, but not for multiple-model units. I don't know any such limitation in AoS for multiple-models units, but in WH it sometimes happened.
So no legal problem for 60 knights in a single unit. It might prove expensive, not convenient and not efficient, but that's another issue.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Phox532
Executioner

Re: Unsure about terms?

Post by Phox532 »

Okay, I got you. Yea I guess I was only reading the war scrolls and not the rule rules. Thanks for the help.
Phox Jorkarzul