A question on synergy: Is this right?

The place for all game discussions on Age of Sigmar.

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Phox532
Executioner

A question on synergy: Is this right?

Post by Phox532 »

So I have a question about a synergy that I'm looking at. It starts with the Darkshards, so I plan on using 20 Darkshards so I'll be getting the Strom of Iron-tipped Bolts so I'll add +1 to hit, so this should bring my hit to +4 right? Now they are going to be part of my Exiled Warhost so they also are going to be able to re-roll wounds of one. Finally I'm going to use a Helleborn with her command Ability Orgy of Slaughter, this will let my Darkshards attack twice. So what I am looking at is 20 Darkshards doing 40 attacks then another 40 attacks, so 80 attacks total, with 50% avg. hit rate and 33% wound rate,but I can re-roll 1/6 of those, so it more 38-40% wound rate. So I figure I'm 23-30 wounds every round. Is that right?

It seems like this crazy powerful. I new to the game so not totally for sure if this is right, more just wondering if I'm looking at synergies and trying to get the most bang for my buck with my army.
Phox Jorkarzul
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Re: A question on synergy: Is this right?

Post by Daeron »

Welll.... the RXB's don't get the "Murdrous Prowess", or the Orgy of Slaughter since both apply to combat.
A unit of 20 would also quickly lose its storm of iron-tipped bolts. So I'd take a few more to soak up a few wounds.

Still, sticking to 20, and using the rules you mentioned we could get (before armour saves)
- 40 shots, on 4+, 4+
- 20 attacks, on 5+, 5+ (re-roll 1's)
- Another 20 attacks on 5+, 5+ (re-roll 1's)

Or if they charged:
- 40 shots, on 4+, 4+
- 20 attacks, on 4+, 5+ (re-roll 1's)
- Another 20 attacks on 4+, 5+ (re-roll 1's)

This latter case, the best and most impressive one, would yield this number of wounds before saves:
14-21 wounds, before saves.
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
Phox532
Executioner

Post by Phox532 »

Okay sweet, yea that was sounding a little bit to go to true. I see what you're saying about Murderous Prowess on the combat phase now which sucks, but I went back and re-read Orgy of Slaughter and it doesn't mention the combat phase.
Phox Jorkarzul
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

It says the unit can pile in and attack twice. That exact sequence only occurs during the combat phase so I presume that it applies only during combat. That's how I see it anyhow :p
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

I agree. Reading the rule it looks to only be of use in melee.
Phox532
Executioner

Post by Phox532 »

Well that sux !mad! :shock: :( :oops: :evil: :killed: . I thought I had a cool little combo here that could give me a way of doing some good damage at range while I was able to get in position for a charge with my other units.

I guess it still works with my executioners, but they seem pretty squishy so not sure if they will survive a round to make this work, or if the Helleborn herself will survive to make that combo work.
Phox Jorkarzul
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

Ehm, while 14-21 wounds is not as impressive as originally hoped, that's still a lot of wounds coming in. Elite infantry has a 4+ save which halves your chance of scoring kills. The end result:
That's still a lot of damage. It will have to be a big unit to strike back, and survive the battleshock that follows.

Admitted, I think there are more powerful combinations out there, but this has the potential to be very dangerous to most units.

- The stiff breeze
Icon hack
Druchii Anointed
Druchii Anointed

Post by Icon hack »

They have shorter range, but it seems like a unit of 20+ Corsairs with a Fleetmaster would offer better probabilities.
Wishing everyone the very best, to the end of your days.
Phox532
Executioner

Post by Phox532 »

Yea, it will still do some damage, but dang. I thought that I had it. I thought that it was a killer synergy that was going to impress all my mates here and they were going to be like, "WWWWHHHHHAAAAATTTTT that was so cool." Now it's going to be. "Welp, time to charge some crossbow guys."
Phox Jorkarzul
Crowsfoot
Trainee Warrior

Post by Crowsfoot »

Phox532 wrote:Yea, it will still do some damage, but dang. I thought that I had it. I thought that it was a killer synergy that was going to impress all my mates here and they were going to be like, "WWWWHHHHHAAAAATTTTT that was so cool." Now it's going to be. "Welp, time to charge some crossbow guys."

Sit them behind some black guard to soak up any incoming charges.
Checkout my Lizardmen and others Here
CAPTAINxDEE
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by CAPTAINxDEE »

Crowsfoot wrote:
Phox532 wrote:Yea, it will still do some damage, but dang. I thought that I had it. I thought that it was a killer synergy that was going to impress all my mates here and they were going to be like, "WWWWHHHHHAAAAATTTTT that was so cool." Now it's going to be. "Welp, time to charge some crossbow guys."

Sit them behind some black guard to soak up any incoming charges.

That's exactly my strat. I use the Exiled Blood Cult formation, and I run as many Black Guard as I can field (up to 20). They soak up hits, and are also pretty good in combat I think. And all you have to do is position yoru Executioners well. You HAVE to make sure they are the ones that charge, not get charged. It's all about positioning for them. If you can and you think it's a threat, you should charge them into a monster or hero
Cornix
Warrior

Post by Cornix »

Not quite as powerful as you were anticipating but a unit of shades have 2 attacks in each of combat and shooting phase hitting on 4+. Through in a dreadlord on a dragon whose re-rolls to hit command ability does not specify which phase it applies to could be very powerful. 25 shades would get 100 attacks going to 75 hits (assuming no casualties on shades first) potentially charging first turn due to their insanely good deployment rules. They are extremely squishy but I've found them to be invaluable.
Regards and best wishes
Luke

The aim of the game is to win,
the point of the game is to have fun.
Phox532
Executioner

Post by Phox532 »

Cornix wrote:Not quite as powerful as you were anticipating but a unit of shades have 2 attacks in each of combat and shooting phase hitting on 4+. Through in a dreadlord on a dragon whose re-rolls to hit command ability does not specify which phase it applies to could be very powerful. 25 shades would get 100 attacks going to 75 hits (assuming no casualties on shades first) potentially charging first turn due to their insanely good deployment rules. They are extremely squishy but I've found them to be invaluable.

Shades are amazing. I currently have 15, only 5 painted, but they have saved me like no other. In the the last three games i played my Shades turned the tide.
Phox Jorkarzul
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

I like my shades in AoS as well.. They're pretty decent shooters but they get munched in any serious combat :)

- The stiff breeze
Cornix
Warrior

Post by Cornix »

Hugging cover is so important with them.

On top of the number of attacks they can unleash the initiative bonus they can generate in deciding who goes first is invaluable.
anything which gives them re-rolls makes them insanely good.
Regards and best wishes
Luke

The aim of the game is to win,
the point of the game is to have fun.