First real AoS game

The place for all game discussions on Age of Sigmar.

Moderator: The Dread Knights

gutpaunch
Trainee Warrior

First real AoS game

Post by gutpaunch »

Hi there,

Well, I played my first real game of AoS against a good friend where we used a new comp system to see how it played, and I have to say I loved it!

I used my new Dark Elves against a HUGE horde of angry dwarf layers including Fyreslayers and one of those magma beasties. It was quite impressive and terrifying to look at, but my Druchii won the day and won quite impressively.

The MVP of the dark elves had to be the Reaper Bolt Throwers which took out his magma beast and cannon by turn 2, and the Executioners which butchered the Fyreslayers to a man/dwarf for the loss of only 2 Executioners! They were awesome and will be a main part of my AoS Druchii army for the foreseeable future.

:D
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Re: First real AoS game

Post by Calisson »

Congrats for the win!
Just make sure that the game remains enjoyable for both players, if you wish to have partners for long.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Cornix
Warrior

Post by Cornix »

Congratulations, I too am enjoying it very much. My local store in running a league at the moment which has my gaming group enthralled. Virtually everybody I know who has played it (including several people that rage quit after 8th went) love it. So much potential.

I feel it's true strength lies in a scenario structure rather than a straight up pitched battle type game. The battle plans in the first AoS book are excellent. A friend of mine and I are planning on playing a huge game using "the ritual" battle plan. Nagash and at least one mortarch plus vast amount of other undead types against Malekith and a huge array of whichever Druchii I decide to bring.

Good luck, I hope you and your friends continue enjoying the game.
Regards and best wishes
Luke

The aim of the game is to win,
the point of the game is to have fun.
gutpaunch
Trainee Warrior

Post by gutpaunch »

Well, its the first time Ive really enjoyed playing AOS as Im a die hard 8th player but Im looking forward to playing more games using the comp system I tried.

I do think, however, Im going to have to limit myself to 2 RBTs as they are just SO powerful in AOS.
This means I get 2 more Warscrolls to consider and try some new goodies out in my next game.
But the Executioners are deffo staying, cos they ROCK!!

My mate seemed to enjoy it too and he deserved to lose because he stabbed me in the back in our last Triumph and Treachery game ;)
Cornix
Warrior

Post by Cornix »

Executioners are indeed very good. Their potential damage output is ludicrous, well depending upon your ability to roll 6's. Black Guard are slightly more consistent but don't if you trust your dice rolls the Executioners are the unit to take. I will have to try Sisters of Slaughter too at some point as I swore by them in 8th, but do need a vast amount of magical support.

Would also depend upon who your general is, Dreadlord on Black Dragon goes better with executioners whilst Dreadlord on foot is better with Black Guard.
Regards and best wishes
Luke

gutpaunch
Trainee Warrior

Post by gutpaunch »

Calisson wrote:Congrats for the win!
Just make sure that the game remains enjoyable for both players, if you wish to have partners for long.

Thanks for the congrats!
The game was a lot of fun for us both, a lot better than last time and his army was terrifying to face.
I had to really think about how to weaken his units before they hit me and take them on one at a time.
The RBTs were awesome at this tactic, probably too good, so I will rethink how many I use in future.
His slayers' death blows were disgusting, wiping out my dreadlord on dragon with 14 mortal wounds!!
But in return the Executioners Severing Strike ability was just pure filth!!

So we are both looking forward to our next match up using slightly different incarnations of our armies.
Watch this space!

8)
Barking Agatha
Corsair

Post by Barking Agatha »

Cornix wrote:Congratulations, I too am enjoying it very much. My local store in running a league at the moment which has my gaming group enthralled.

Out of interest, how does that league work?
Cornix
Warrior

Post by Cornix »

Really well, everybody that's playing in it absolutely love it.

The store has come up with a pick up and play comp system regarding lists.
Maximum of 8 warscrolls (may combine into maximum of one battalion)
Maximum wounds per warscroll is 20
Up to three warscrolls may be heroes (up to 2 of those can be wizards/priest)
Up to 2 warscrolls may be monsters/war machines

6 warscrolls from core of army with 2; 2 warscroll sideboards. Show each other core and then decide upon sideboards. However most have used same list.

Runs from early January to late February,3 points for a win; 2 for a draw & 1 for a defeat. The players that have played 5 or more games get their mean number of points per game with the top four qualifying for a knockout section a fortnight Saturday. Two of us are 5 from 5, my nemesis high elf player friend and myself. Expecting a (gentlemanly and sportsman like) grudge match in the finals.

My list has been
Dreadlord on black Dragon
Morathi
Shadowblade
20 shades
20 executioners
10 cold one knights
10 doomfire warlocks
Hydra

Although Malekith may decide the finals are worthy of his attention in the finals instead of Dreadlord.
Regards and best wishes
Luke

gutpaunch
Trainee Warrior

Post by gutpaunch »

Played my second game using my Dark Elves against my friend's combined Dwarf and Empire force and it was an exciting, close, fun and stimulating game.
We had to call it at the end of the 3rd turn and we called it a draw....he lost 5 war scrolls and I lost 4.

My MVP unit was the Executioners again. They took a charge from a steam tank and beat it to a pulp, then got charged by a big unit of Ironbreakers and butchered them to a man. They then charged Valten and the remains of a large Demi Gryff unit and killed Valten TWICE in the same combat turn before being battleshocked off the table. They were awesome!

The weakest unit was the Cold One Knights who bounced off the demis and did very little damage before being slaughtered.

Oveerall it was an awesome game and I am looking forward to my next game against Bretts+ Stormcast Eternals.

Any suggestions on what I can take to help me in that game?

Cheers

8)
Cornix
Warrior

Post by Cornix »

Executioners are magnificent. They won me a game on Thursday against Bretonians. They killed 10 knights of the realm and butchered 3x20 bowman with loss of only four models. Cold one knights don't do much damage unless charging but can take a reasonable amount (don't forget those rerolls) but I think most cavalry are similar.

Agains Stormcast Eternalswatch out for prosecutors but especially kill retributors before they have an impact. They're frightening.
Regards and best wishes
Luke

gutpaunch
Trainee Warrior

Post by gutpaunch »

Thanks for the comments particularly about the Retributors. I will ensure I target them first with my shooting and magic but I am really looking forward to this game as I haven't faced Stormcast Eternals before.

I am beginning to get a real feel for what is strong in the Dark Elves AOS armoury and what are weaker and can be left at home, particularly when only taking 10 scrolls.

The RBTs are awesome! Some people in my area feel they are OP and broken!
Executioners are stupendous!
Dreadlord on Dragon is mega!
Cauldron of Blood is tremendous!
Malekith is da boss!

Im still trying the other units out to see how they play and whether they are worth taking.

8)
Cornix
Warrior

Post by Cornix »

Doomfire Warlocks (especially in units 10+) are insane, doombolt 5+ to cast if ten or more +1 to cast and 6 mortal wounds!

Shades are superb, especially if you are limiting number of warscrolls. 2x attacks in each of combat and shooting phases on 4+ 4+ is great. What makes them spectacular is their deployment rules. Used defensively placed in terrain to limit their only weakness (save) or aggressively for extremely likely first turn charges. Their true strength is ability to help decide who goes first. If both players have the same number of scrolls having a few like shades or assassins that don't deploy using standard rules goes to making sure you get to pick who goes first.

Retributors are similar to executioners, individually better but possibly smaller units don't let them hit you.
Regards and best wishes
Luke

gutpaunch
Trainee Warrior

Post by gutpaunch »

Well, it is time for my 3rd game which will be against another friend's Chaos army.
This will be a challenging battle as he summons large blocks of Warriors and Knights, and his Khorne dudes pack a serious punch even when they are killed!

So, my plan will have to be to take out his summoners on Turn 1 before I begin to whittle down his big units before they reach my line.
Really looking forward to this game, my mate is a really fun guy to play 8)

Watch this space!
Cornix
Warrior

Post by Cornix »

Good luck,

killing summoners is a great plan, I would also try to concentrate fire and use battleshock as your friend. Any battleshock losses will really hurt as he will have to remove whole models and as they have multiple wounds it gets through quickly.

Please let us know how it goes.
Regards and best wishes
Luke

gutpaunch
Trainee Warrior

Post by gutpaunch »

Thanks Cornix, I certainly will let you know how the game goes and thanks for the battleshock advice.

8)
gutpaunch
Trainee Warrior

Post by gutpaunch »

Played the game today against a friends combined nurgle chaos and skaven army and it was a hoot!
Thanquol and Boneripper are stupendous with a shooting attack that did 8 mortal wounds to my poor hydra without having to roll a dice!!

But in the end it was another victory for the druchii!!

The combination of RBTs and Executioners was just too much for his chaos scum but we both had a blast and it was a lot closer than the last game.

Definitely loving the druchii in AOS 8)
Cornix
Warrior

Post by Cornix »

Congratulations

Most importantly glad you seemed to both have a great time. Also pulling in another Druchii victory is always fantastic. Executioners are insane. In my opinion they are the best 1 wound infantry model in the game.

What worked well? Anything not live up to your expectations?
Regards and best wishes
Luke

gutpaunch
Trainee Warrior

Post by gutpaunch »

Played another game today against another friend, this time using 105 wound armies.
So my opponent brought a heavily magic, summoning and shooting army of Tzeentch and it proved to be a very very hard nut to crack!
I killed his Tzeentch DP twice, his Tzeentch chariot twice, his herald of Tzeentch 3 times!
His horrors, herald, chariot and Kairos Tzeentch magiced and fired Malekith off the table before I eventually ground out the win.
It was a very difficult game where I could do little to combat the offensive and defensive magic and summoning of the army, but once in combat, my Executioners and dragon finally won the day.

Overall, a very challenging but fun game for us both 8)