Pleasure Cults

The place for all game discussions on Age of Sigmar.

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Cornix
Warrior

Pleasure Cults

Post by Cornix »

I have just picked up the Grand Alliance Chaos book, gives some indication of how order may go. Not expecting Druchii/exiles to go quite yet.

It brought me to thinking of the Cult of Slaanesh army from storm of chaos book years ago. So thought of doing a list to represent the 7 deadly sins using the comp system of my local shop (see below). The freedom AoS gives us is incredible.

Ezada Cyn (Keeper of Secrets, all)
Sidonia, Mistress of Desire with Carnal (supreme sorceress on black dragon, lust)
Hubris riding scorn (Slaanesh lord on daemonic mount, pride)
Vestals of Vengeance (20 witch elves counting as cultists, wrath)
Lethargy and his unit ennui (4 scourgerunner chariots, sloth)
Avaricious Assailants (6 chaos knights, greed)
Covetous combatants (10 hellseekers of Slaanesh, envy)
Gluttonous Guardians (10 fiends of Slaanesh)

3 exile units 3 mortal chaos units and 2 daemons but seems characterful but reasonably good too, any thoughts?

GW Plymouth comp system
Up to 8 warscrolls (may make one battalion)
Each warscroll may have maximum of 20 wounds
Up to three heroes (two of which may be wizards or priests)
Up to two warscrolls may be monsters/war machines
Regards and best wishes
Luke

The aim of the game is to win,
the point of the game is to have fun.
Darkprincess
Chosen Babe of Slaanesh

Re: Pleasure Cults

Post by Darkprincess »

I was one of the last members of our group to start playing WFB, though I had been interested in it for much longer, I started playing in 6th edition and one of the first things I did was to write up a Druchii army list that was Slaanesh-themed. Then, in 2004 when GW released the official Cult of Slaanesh list, it turned out to be very similar indeed to my own list. I've basically been playing this list ever since - we're a bunch of old veteran gamers now so we still play 6th edition, with a few of the choice bits from 7th thrown in - since we only play in each others' homes and not in tournaments, we are free to play whatever house rules variations we wish.

Getting on to your post, however, it's awesome to see somebody else looking to adapt the old Storm of Chaos Slaaneshi DE list to the new system. Although we don't have any interest in Age of Sigmar, it's nice to see a Cult of Pleasure DE army still being used - Kudos to you for keeping the spirit of Slaanesh alive and well in these troubled times :)

I love your idea of theming the army around the seven deadly sins too - that's quite inspired and very Slaaneshi (my own Slaaneshi DE have more of a kinky BDSM theme with a bit of Hellraiser-inspired viscerality (is that even a word?) thrown in for good measure). If you have any photos of your army, I'd love to see then, so perhaps you would consider showing them off in the Painting & Modeling forum.

Good luck with your army - I'd be interested to see how it all works out...
The Dark Princess
High Priestess of the Cult Of Pleasure

Give yourself over to absolute pleasure
Swim the warm waters of sins of the flesh
Erotic nighmares beyond any measure
And sensual daydreams to treasure forever
Cornix
Warrior

Post by Cornix »

Thank you for your kind words.

Warhammer 6th/7th (especially 7th) was the best period of warhammer rules wise imnsho. Unfortunately the army will need some work most of my Druchii are genericly painted. Mostly Dark Green with deep red as spot or contrast. My army was 25000 points in 7th. So time to paint another unit of witch elves in more sinful way, if possible. Once done I will post some pictures for you. I also have a Slaanesh army for pretty much every system GW do. Easily the best Chaos God. Hope they find Him/Her soon.

Doing sloth was the most difficult choice as Dark Elves and Slaanesh tend to be fast. Theme wise charioteers pulling monsters behind them is probably best fit.

Are there any pictures of your army? Would be great to have a look.

Thank you again and hope you continue having a great time.
Regards and best wishes
Luke

Darkprincess
Chosen Babe of Slaanesh

Post by Darkprincess »

Cornix wrote:Easily the best Chaos God. Hope they find Him/Her soon.

Indeed so. GW may have misplaced Slaanesh but I haven't and by the sound of it neither have you. Slaanesh is alive and well and always will be. GW can do whatever they want but Slaanesh ain't going anywhere :twisted:
The Dark Princess

Cornix
Warrior

Post by Cornix »

Indeed Princess.

I understand GW's problem with Slaanesh, with the age range of customers from 8-108 there are occasionally things that aren't suitable for all. I think many of the issues stem from a large section of the community focusing too heavily on the lust aspect. Although as sins go it's a fantastic one, virtually all of the 7 deadly sins are the province of Slaanesh. Gluttony could be argued to be Nurgle, but both fit and Vengeance could be debated as Khorne but his followers tend to kill too indiscriminately for any rational trains of thoughts such as revenge.

Having read the Grand Alliance Chaos book I'm not expecting Slaanesh to go anywhere, perhaps a change in focus or imagery. There are definite views within my gaming group that a Slaanesh/Morathi hybrid is potential, don't know but look forward to finding out.
Regards and best wishes
Luke

Darkspear
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Darkspear »

Darkprincess wrote:I was one of the last members of our group to start playing WFB, though I had been interested in it for much longer, I started playing in 6th edition and one of the first things I did was to write up a Druchii army list that was Slaanesh-themed. Then, in 2004 when GW released the official Cult of Slaanesh list, it turned out to be very similar indeed to my own list. I've basically been playing this list ever since - we're a bunch of old veteran gamers now so we still play 6th edition, with a few of the choice bits from 7th thrown in - since we only play in each others' homes and not in tournaments, we are free to play whatever house rules variations we wish.

Darkprincess I remember you, one of the veterans of the civil war. It is good to know that you are still playing the game, especially the Cult of Slannesh. I have been away from hobby for a few years (community nearly died with the end of the 7th ed), and I have only recently found people to play Warhammer (AoS) with in the recent months.
In my land, everyone calls me the darkspear. The most famous spearmen commander of all.
Darkprincess
Chosen Babe of Slaanesh

Post by Darkprincess »

Cornix wrote:Having read the Grand Alliance Chaos book I'm not expecting Slaanesh to go anywhere, perhaps a change in focus or imagery. There are definite views within my gaming group that a Slaanesh/Morathi hybrid is potential, don't know but look forward to finding out.

Well as far as I'm concerned, Slaanesh will always be what She is - at least as far as my own army and fluff are concerned. GW can do whatever they like - I still have access to the old hardback 3rd edition rulebook and the two Realm of Chaos books (Not to mention my own copy of Liber Chaotica) and that's the version of Slaanesh that I like. In fact, if you read the early fluff, you will see that Slaanesh has already been considerably toned down in terms of Her perversions compared to the older fluff - When the original Chaos fluff was written (oops, I mean plagiarised from Moorcock), She was quite obviously intended to be a sex god above all else - the other aspects came much later on as GW tried (spectacularly unsuccessfully, it has to be said) to move the narrative away from Her lustful ways.

A Slaanesh / Morathi combo really doesn't make any kind of fluff sense at all - the best that Morathi could ever hope for would be to become some sort of daemon princess of Slaanesh. As for Tyrion (whenever I hear his name, I have a mental image of that Prince Charming idiot from Shrek 2) kidnapping Slaanesh and locking Her away in a dungeon somewhere (Slaanesh would probably get off on that anyway :mrgreen: ), this just proves that GW desperately need new fluff writers as their current crop are suffering from the kind of brain rot that would keep Nurgle in business for a few millennia.

No, Slaanesh's fluff was created way back in the 80s, and once something exists, it becomes a part of the community's pop culture, and you mess with it at your extreme peril. Slaanesh is as Slaanesh was. Nothing GW say or do with the concept will ever change my views on this (or those of anyone else I know who has an interest in the hobby). Trying to retcon the fluff after all this time is just heresy and will be totally ignored (particularly by the veterans). If anything, the more that GW try to sanitise Slaanesh for the kids, the more extreme and perverted She will become for the long-time gamers who don't like the 30 years of canonical lore being messed with :twisted:

GW may actually own the name Slaanesh, but the larger community owns the fluff in every way that actually matters on the ground...
The Dark Princess