Wounding Question for AoS

The place for all game discussions on Age of Sigmar.

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Saintofm
Malekith's Best Friend

Wounding Question for AoS

Post by Saintofm »

Hello, the prodigal druchi is back and wanted to try this out. That said I have a couple questions about wonding.

If you kill something and still have wounds left, do they get allocated to other enemies in the enemy unit or does that single target just become a gooier pile of bits.

Example: A field Trebuchet from the Brettonia PDF.

At full health and crew, it has 2 attacks that wound on a 3+. Both of those are going to cause D6 damage.

So if this baby has one attack that manages to hit a unit of 10 Skaven clan rats, wounds and gets through the saves, and deals 6 damage, is this going to be one very dead ratman or 6 dead ratmen?
Who needs sanity? I have a Hydra
Haagrum
PhD in Dark Magic

Re: Wounding Question for AoS

Post by Haagrum »

You'll have 6 very dead rat-men in the example given. Excess wounds carry over within the same unit.

Each attack in AOS is directed against a unit, rather than a specific model. Once wounds are suffered (i.e. after all to hit, to wound, saves and D3/D6 Wounds rolls have been made), they are allocated to models within a unit as the owning player sees fit. Once you allocate one wound to a model from one set of attacks which have been resolved (i.e. for which all those rolls have been made), you have to keep allocating wounds to that model until it is dead (in which case, you pick another model and repeat the process) or you run out of wounds to allocate. This stops multi-wound models from having too great an advantage.
"The wrath of a good man is not to be feared. They have too many rules."

"Good men don't need rules. Today is not a good time to find out why I have so many."
Saintofm
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Saintofm »

Haagrum wrote:You'll have 6 very dead rat-men in the example given. Excess wounds carry over within the same unit.

Each attack in AOS is directed against a unit, rather than a specific model. Once wounds are suffered (i.e. after all to hit, to wound, saves and D3/D6 Wounds rolls have been made), they are allocated to models within a unit as the owning player sees fit. Once you allocate one wound to a model from one set of attacks which have been resolved (i.e. for which all those rolls have been made), you have to keep allocating wounds to that model until it is dead (in which case, you pick another model and repeat the process) or you run out of wounds to allocate. This stops multi-wound models from having too great an advantage.

Nice. What if I chose to focus on a character, will any extra wounds carry over to any nearby unit or no?
Who needs sanity? I have a Hydra
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

No, characters are a different unit.
Actually, that's bad for characters as they are liable to suffer a lot from shooting and magic missiles.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Haagrum
PhD in Dark Magic

Post by Haagrum »

Calisson wrote:No, characters are a different unit.
Actually, that's bad for characters as they are liable to suffer a lot from shooting and magic missiles.

Agreed. I think AOS really pushes towards having characters on huge slobberin' monsters - they're going to get shot at anyway, so you might as well have lots of mobility, extra wounds and a decent save from the monster they're riding.

Magic is less of any issue generally, since you can unbind spells more readily than was the case in 8th edition (assuming you're in range) and the spells aren't quite as threatening, generally. Arcane Bolt is somewhat underwhelming unless you're near a Dreadstone Blight (but a decent infantry-character sniping spell), Mystic Shield is substantially better as a tactical option in most cases, and most of the current crop of AOS spells are somewhat lacklustre. Most, but not all - there are a few that can be very nasty.
"The wrath of a good man is not to be feared. They have too many rules."

"Good men don't need rules. Today is not a good time to find out why I have so many."