Bloodwrack Sisterhood

The place for all game discussions on Age of Sigmar.

Moderator: The Dread Knights

gutpaunch
Trainee Warrior

Bloodwrack Sisterhood

Post by gutpaunch »

After having a lot of fun and a lot of success with the current incarnation of my DE AoS army, I bought the Grand Alliance Order tome to see what formation would grab my attention and spark things up a tad.

Looking through al the formations, the one that stands out is the Bloodwrack Sisterhood:

1 Cauldron of Blood
1 unit of Bloodwrack Medusae or Bloodwrack Shrine
1 Death Hag
3-6 units Witch Aelves, Doomfire Warlocks, Sisters of Slaughter

This formation looks like it will play the way that I have been playing recently only minus the dragon and executioners.

Does anyone have any feelings about the new formations or have you used any of them yet?

Many thanks
Haagrum
PhD in Dark Magic

Re: Bloodwrack Sisterhood

Post by Haagrum »

The formation bonus isn't particularly reliable, but when it works, it's hideously good.

The special bonus for the Corsairs formation (Realm Reavers) is flat-out brutal, particularly when combined with the Fleetmaster's command ability, but that's offset against the general not-awesomeness of Corsairs and the Fleetmaster. There aren't any wizards or priests in that formation, but they're easy to add. Although we don't have Reapers any more, you can always add them from the old warscroll - they don't have any direct synergies with the formation units so you're not losing effectiveness from including them.
"The wrath of a good man is not to be feared. They have too many rules."

"Good men don't need rules. Today is not a good time to find out why I have so many."
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Re: Bloodwrack Sisterhood

Post by Daeron »

Ohh, thanks for sharing Haagrum. I have but limited experience with these units in AoS, playing mostly with my bloodbound force atm... But I'll be making a Dark Elf comeback when they are painted! ;)

I did see the Cauldron of Blood and Witch Elf unit (28 large it was) munch through a Duardin army, before they had this formation. I gave them some support to lure away some of the firepower, but yeah... the Witch Elves will be quite devastating in close combat when there's a hag nearby. The ablity of the COB to grant them immunity from battleshock "for free" gives you more playing room with your command abilities.
Reading the formation as you present it, it looks like this army could be made with just 1 COB kit. That's nice to know.

And another tip I read somewhere on this forum... (I can't remember where) If you take Sisters of Slaughter, then I'd recommend getting an extra warlock unit to help them with Arcane shield. With Arcane Shield and cover, these Sisters get a 2+ save in close combat, and return half of their saves as mortal wounds. That's one heck of an anvil. I never tried this myself though.
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze