Looking to start a new AOS DE army

The place for all game discussions on Age of Sigmar.

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Thor0298
Slave on the Altar

Looking to start a new AOS DE army

Post by Thor0298 »

Picked up want I think is a whole warhost of naggaroth box from a buddy getting rid of all his stuff for almost nothing. So figured I'd start a dark elf army. Everything is on sprues still. Any tips for some decent army builds. We usually play scgt at 25, 50 and 100
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Re: Looking to start a new AOS DE army

Post by Daeron »

Hey, that's great! Unfortunately... I've been so casual lately, I can't recommend a proper army. I'm going with what I like to see, rather than rules at the moment. I'm planning on fixing that, but until then I can't make many recommendations :(
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
Lord hajjij
Rotting skull on the Glottkin trail

Post by Lord hajjij »

Luckily that box set (which was generally crap in WHFB) actually gets you a great headstart to the coolest new faction - Scourge Privateers!
So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong and to strike at what is weak.

-Sun Tzu
Tullbeard
Slave on the Altar

Post by Tullbeard »

The warhost of Naggaroth is a great box set and a fantastic start to an army. I agree that Scourge Privateers look, seem and also play cool. They have a fun formation in the new Grand Alliance: Order book which you have a good foundation for. If you were to build the Chariot as a Scourgerunner (giving your army some extra agility and more ranged power) and add a Kharibdyss (giving your army a hard hitting monster which synergises with the corsairs battle shock ability); you would complete this formation and give your army a nice aesthetic which plays well on the battlefield. The formation essentially lets you make one extra action of your choice a turn, it's quite powerful stuff!

Ultimately though, I would recommend building your army based on the look, feel and style of the type of army you would like to have. For example, I'm building my army to resemble an almost city-guard feel - with spears, crossbows etc. My backstory is that I'm a Dreadlord defending a strategically important watchtower in the middle of the Realm of Shadow. I've got battle hardened warriors who know their duty. Due to the type of warfare and tactics that defending a watchtower would consist of, I don't have any Witch Elves and things like that; but I do have Dark Riders (to scout the surrounding areas) and some cold One Knights/chariots to act as shock troops storming out of the fortification.

Is there a style of play or a particular aesthetic that stands out for you?

Overall I'd say that the box set you have is a great start to an army and will allow you to develop as you desire going forward.
Thor0298
Slave on the Altar

Post by Thor0298 »

I started out basically as a hobbyist about 2 years ago. Only painting. When the fyreslayers came out I really liked the models and started actually playing too :)
Now I do quite a bit of both. I always like the look of the dark elf models which is why I kept looking into them. After getting the starter box new for a great deal, I am ready to try them out I think. Was mostly looking for something that was a bit faster paced than my fyreslayers. I think I will pick up the Kharibdyss and run the Realm Reaver formation. Now I just need to find some more to fill out the army and which builds for the cold one knight box and the 2 boxes of dreadspears