New to AoS and Dark elves

The place for all game discussions on Age of Sigmar.

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Sozu
Slave on the Altar

New to AoS and Dark elves

Post by Sozu »

Hello everyone,

I hope this is the right place for my post. I bought couple month ago a starting box of AoS to start playing warhammer. Quick i choose to build my own army and i decide to build a Dark elves army called the exiles now correct me if i am wrong.

The guys from my shop told me with the General's Handbook, i should be able to play them with no problem just need DL the warscroll from GW website.

so far this is my army

1 x Dreadlord/sorceress on blackdragon
1 x Black Ark fleetmaster
2 x sorceress
1 x 10 black ark corsairs
1 x 5 drakespawn knights
1 x 5 dark riders
1 x 10 executioners
2 x 10 dreadspears
1 x 10 witch aelves

I would ask if this is a correct setup to start play them in AoS, and if not what should i change.

PS: battletome for orders is important ? since the warscroll are availble on the website ?

Thanks for your help
Sozu
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Re: New to AoS and Dark elves

Post by Calisson »

Welcome Sozu to D.net! :)
I would merge all dreadspears in a single unit.
Otherwise, try to play them and see which units do what.
Sometimes, it is better to concentrate on a smaller force and get the underdog objectives.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Sozu
Slave on the Altar

Post by Sozu »

thx for your answer Calisson

I am still little confused from what i read today, since Dark elve are kind of split into different sub section of exile and they released the full dark elve compedium can i play them both way ?
full Dark elve / or separate faction ?
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

The Dark Elf compendium was released temporarily, waiting for the Grand Alliance of Order to be released.
Now, you can play whichever you wish if I'm not mistaken (I ceased to follow AoS months ago).
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Shadowspite
Bronze Khaine Winner

Post by Shadowspite »

Officially, you can still use the DE Compendium warscrolls to play a combined 'Exiles' army. However, the points values in the General's Handbook are technically for the newer versions of those warscrolls (i.e. the multiple subfactions like Daughters of Khaine and Darkling Covens). You really ought to get the approval of your opponent before using the old Compendium scrolls in a Matched Play game. I think most people would be fine with it, though.
"Sometimes, Brother... I dream that I am sane." - Uros the Faceless

Some of my minis - now on Imgur rather than Photosuckit.
Sozu
Slave on the Altar

Post by Sozu »

Thx guys for you answer

Sorry for being such a noob but i am still confuse about the great army book. this book came out before the general handbook and also i think the dark elfe compedium. It's seems we can combine all subfaction togheter.
Shadowspite
Bronze Khaine Winner

Post by Shadowspite »

Yeah, you can use units from different subfactions together. You still need to field enough Battleline units (depending on your army's points total) if you're playing Matched Play, though, and for a mixed DE army your only Battleline units are Darkshards, Dreadspears and Bleakswords.

The other issue is that units from different subfactions generally don't benefit from each others' abilities because of how the keywords work. For example, a Cauldron of Blood gives no benefit to anything that's not a Daughters of Khaine unit.

You can also use warscrolls from the Compendium that have not been updated in Grand Alliance: Order (these 'orphan' warscrolls all have points values in the General's Handbook). But again the keywords might be an issue. Taking a Master with Battle Standard in an army mostly of newer warscrolls is pointless, because his banner only boosts Exiles units and the updated DE warscrolls in GA:O don't have the Exiles keyword.

To summarize:

Units from the DE Compendium that do have an updated version in GA:O
(E.g. Dreadspears)
You can still use the old warscrolls, but technically they have no points values. If you're playing a Matched Play game, you need your opponent's consent to use the points values from the General's Handbook (which are technically for the updated warscrolls). But they're all 'Exiles' units as far as keywords work, so they can benefit from each others' abilities. In Narrative and Open Play games, you can use the old warscrolls no problem, but it would still be polite to let your opponent know beforehand.

Units from the DE Compendium that do not have an updated version in GA:O
(E.g. Shades)
You can use these, and they have fully legal points values in the General's Handbook for Matched Play games. However, be aware that they might not work well with other units from newer warscrolls, as they still have the 'Exiles' keyword rather than any of the new subfactions.
"Sometimes, Brother... I dream that I am sane." - Uros the Faceless

Some of my minis - now on Imgur rather than Photosuckit.