Rediscovering AoS

The place for all game discussions on Age of Sigmar.

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Icon hack
Druchii Anointed
Druchii Anointed

Rediscovering AoS

Post by Icon hack »

Hello there old friends.

I liked a lot of things about the initial release of AoS but after some play stopped messing with it due to the balance problem. Got involved in lots of other things, but just recently found out that GW came out with the Match Play rules. Picked up the 2017 General's Handbook and I'm trying to piece things together here, but boy is it confusing. Doesn't even look like GW really supports it by trying to look through their website (Warscrolls are no longer available, the army-builder they have doesn't allow most units to be selected, and everything redirects you to purchasing new models - big surprise there, huh?). Anyone care to help brief me on what I need to have to play, and if there are any usable army-builder tools out there?

How about some of the army lists people here are using? I was hoping to find some in the AoS Forum, but I'm not seeing anything.

Thanks for any comments on this.
Wishing everyone the very best, to the end of your days.
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Re: Rediscovering AoS

Post by Daeron »

I haven't used the army building tool for a while (didn't play AoS for a while). For playing a game, the general's handbook gives a lot of information but it's best paired with the battletome specific to your army. That said, old armies only have the old tomes which lack many of the special rules and tricks that all other tomes give.
IE: my bloodbound army has some army specific tricks, items and rules which are further enhanced by army battalion scrolls. If I were to battle an army from the old PDFs, I'll probably be smashing them with tricks that are out of their reach.

I guess... If you have a few players that still play 8th ed armies, then the old PDFs should be enough to get started.
But if you want to play with the AoS community, then the latest tome for your army in combination with the general's handbook is recommended.
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
Archamedius
Black Guard

Post by Archamedius »

this is an old post so I am not sure if you already solved this, but battlescribe is a tool you can use as an army builder. You still need your battle tome or warscroll cards for the rules, but the tool will print an effective army list to meet the standards of any Tournament Organizer so you should have everything you would want on the army list, using the resources purchased from GW for rules, etc.
------

- Pain is Temporary, Knowledge is forever.
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

Battlescribe is pretty good. If I'm not mistaken it has a mobile version.

For AoS there is also a GW sanctioned website army builder:
https://www.warhammer-community.com/warscroll-builder/
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
Icon hack
Druchii Anointed
Druchii Anointed

Post by Icon hack »

Thanks for the direction. I've actually found that a builder isn't nearly as useful or necessary as it used to be with older versions of Warhammer where there were a lot more options.

Still, I do miss the printup with all the units and their stats that you used to be able to get from AB. Flipping through pages is a pain :o
Wishing everyone the very best, to the end of your days.