Anyone here do 40k?

Got something to talk about? Be it video games, other tabletop or card games, even random stuff - this is the place to post!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Lordkolchak
Corsair

Anyone here do 40k?

Post by Lordkolchak »

Ok, i would post on the games workshop site but its not very good for getting questions answered so...

I wanna go for a 40k. After looking at all of them i have narrowed it down to:
1)dark eldar-similar to dark elves it seems but they look cool, prehaps a bit too similar.
2) Imperial guard-love the models, after watching band of brothers and savin private ryan i was inspired. Probably go for cadians of ice troopers of valhalla and continue the old russian theme (lord kolchak=commisar kolchak). Anyway if the cadian plastics come out these are high up on my lsit.
3)Space marines-not ultramarines dont worry. i was thinking of inventing a chapter and going for assault with a few tanks.
4)the nercrons and tau are also options but im not too sure.

The main one is imperial guard. i'd love loads of tanks and do WW2 style. So if anyine has any advice on any of the above or any websites i'd be much appreciative.

Thanks alot

LK
You can no more win a war then you can win an earthquake.
Lateo
Noble

Post by Lateo »

Go for Dark Eldar, I´ve played both them and Blood Angels. The swiftness, extreme speed and flexibility of them is very good as they are the fastest army in 40k.
music
Oeric
Master Assassin

Post by Oeric »

im just starting up IG, the fluff is great as you can base it upon real life, e.g. Hitler or some other damned being!!!! If u give me ur email adress then i can email u a "tactica guard" helping with guard tactics, its about 15 pages size 8 or 30 pages size 12, quite long
Lordkolchak
Corsair

Post by Lordkolchak »

That would great, i PM'd you my email address. I'll look into dark eldar as well as a friend has got the game and is using the space marines so that is also an option, thanks alot for the replies guys

LK
Dobo-x
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Dobo-x »

I use Space Marines but thats my opinion
"...And they will have no fear..."
Lordkolchak
Corsair

Post by Lordkolchak »

yeah i know someone who does space marines so i wouldn't really want to do space marine vs space marine wars (though he collects ultra marines).

I think i've narrowed it down to imperial guard now :D .

now i need some more opinions. Which ones of these looks the most WW2.
Ice troopers of valhalla look like the old russian army on the eastern front.
Cadian storm troopers look like the old americans from normandy.
And the steel legion looks like the germans.

1)Now i know the cadians are coming out in july, does this mean they are gonna get the same attention as the catachans with a codex and unique troops etc cos that'd be really cool.

2)Also are all of there IG troop types (mordian, tallarn,vallhallan) gonna get these updates and how quickly is this likely to happen.

3)And thirdly i really like the look of the steel trooper heavy weapon teams, they look proper WW2 (rocket launcher looks like a RPG/bazooka and the h. bolter if fired from a lyting down position, amaing:D ) so do you reckon if i went cadian i could have steel trooper squads/h weapons.

4)Finally the steel troopers have got a 10 man metal squad in a boxed set do you know if they are gonna get anything else (i.e plastics)

Well thanks for the replies up till now and keep em coming in :)

LK
Lord ruerl
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Lord ruerl »

Oeric wrote:"tactica guard" helping with guard tactics, its about 15 pages size 8 or 30 pages size 12, quite long

would that be off the dakka forums? i've got the death world vet and steel legion ones' of those as well if you want them, an interesting read if nothing esle FOR THE EMPEROR!!!, ahem *looks round* i mean Malekith ;)
for every idiot proof system desgined, a new improved idiot will arise to overcome it
Linda lobsta defenda
Witch Elf
Witch Elf

Post by Linda lobsta defenda »

answers:

1: might. the new ig codex is also comming out for the summer campaign so it might have some rules for the different regiments

2.nope. no way no chanse. never sorry

3. sure you could

4.nope they wont get any plastic. sorry

as you might can tell i do play the guard. :) it is a wonderful army. setting up 126 men and 4 tanks in a 1500 p battle scares most opponents silly :D
Decheran
Evil Henchman

Post by Decheran »

i have just started IG. all i need is 3 tanks to get to 1700 :D

the valhallans IG would fit the red army very well (obscene amounts of troops and tanks)
"Intellectual brilliance is no guarantee against being dead wrong."
-Carl Sagan
Oeric
Master Assassin

Post by Oeric »

for germans, i would definately say steel legion, u might be able to use the steel legion heavy weapons w/ cadians, except i would consider converting cadians with the steel legion models being the basics.

would that be off the dakka forums

im not sure, i got asked by someone if i wanted it on the gw board nd said yes to it
Do not fear death so much, but rather the inadequate life.
Lordkolchak
Corsair

Post by Lordkolchak »

Hello again, heres another one for all you helpful people. I've got the IG book and looking through it therre seems to be a ffew things missing that i hae heard people talk about:
Lascannon on sentinals
preachers
and various other things, are these all in the codew: armegeddon, imperial armour or are they in some othe white dwarves as well.

If they are, any idea of the (UK) issue no.

thnaks again.

LK
Oeric
Master Assassin

Post by Oeric »

i know that the sentinals are in armageddon, but i really want to know about preachers as they seem really good, just as support, anyone. Hows that tactica guard going, read all 30 pages yet??
Dekhalan
Highborn

Post by Dekhalan »

I play 3000 points Dark Angels and 3000 points Imperial Guard. Not all of it is in working order however...

Both Imperial Guard and Dark Angels are awesome armies.
...And so it came to pass that the foul elf known as DEKHALAN CHILLWIND invaded our fair shores. This fiend began a campaign of killings, rapings, lootings, enslavings and burnings, sparing neither age nor sex...
Chronicle of Walter of Lyonesse
Lordkolchak
Corsair

Post by Lordkolchak »

Ok, codex armegedon(sp?) next for me then. I've read the tactica but most of it is a bit confusing lol, i need to get the rule book so i can understand certain things like pinning and AP 1, 2 etc. got the codex so i've worked out a bit but for example i dont know what would be good in a combat command HQ, i gathered that ypou want assult weapons andd pistols but i dunno what they do so i cant individually chose what would be best. It is extremly interesting though and as soon as i get the rulebook i can use it properly.

Just a question, can you pin space marines wth sniper fire and mortars? i know tey are like strong willed or whatever so im not sure if it affects them (ultramarins).

Thanks to you all

LK

(anny one have a 40k rule book that they dont need, recent edition, im willing to buy it, just PM me :) )

LK
Linda lobsta defenda
Witch Elf
Witch Elf

Post by Linda lobsta defenda »

yes you can pin marines. :)
Oeric
Master Assassin

Post by Oeric »

does anyone know where preahers rules are
Lordkolchak
Corsair

Post by Lordkolchak »

Ok heres my first attempt at an army list, 1500pts against sapce marines with no particular mission in mind, most likley to be a pitched battle.

HQ CHOICE
Command HQ
215pts
Captain w/ bolter
2 guardsmen w/ auto cannon
1 Medic
2 guards men w/ plasma guns
Chimera w/ multilaser + smoke grenades + extra armour

Heavy weapons support
95pts
Mortar Squad

125pts
Lascannon squad

100pts
2 Auto cannons and 1 heavy bolter

TROOP CHOICE
Command
50pts
Lieutenant
2 guardsmen w/ lasguns

1st Platoon
Squad1
75pts
8 guardsmen w/ lasguns

Squad2
75pts
8 guardsmen w/ lasguns

Squad3-AF
171pts
1 guardsman w/ plasma gun
7 guardsmen w/ lasguns
Chimera w/ multilaser +smoke grenades + extra armour

2nd Platoon
Command
35pts
Lieutenant
4 guardsmen w/ lasguns

Squad1
68pts
9 guardsmen w/ lasguns

Squad2
68pts
9 guardsmen w/ lasguns

Squad3-AF
148pts
10 guardsmen w/ lasguns
Chimera w/ multilaser +smoke grenades + extra armour

Heavy support
Griffon-75pts

Elites
9Ratling Snipers-99pts

Fast Support
50pts
Sentinel w/ lascannon
50pts
Sentinel w/ lascannon

Total Points-1499

Basic idea is to have a solid firing base and use my 2 squads in the chimera to flank the enemy (space marines) and provide some heavy fire from the rear. The mortars and griffon will provide indirect fire to pin and disrupt his advance and the snipers will help them. I don’t know what’s good against marines but I figured if auto cannons can take out vehicles they’ll do nicely, I also fell in love with plasma weapons .

Ok, I know it’s really bad. But any comment welcome and they would be extremely appreciated. Remember, main opponent ultramarines and he’s a newbie too. Plus if you think my list is absolutly rubbish(very likely) then just throw in some tips and pointers against marines.

Thanks a lot

LK

Oh yeah, just a questions, how much does a sentinel w/ lascannon cost as I figured it w/ 15pts for the lascannon, as it is on other vehicles.