Skeletons vs Zombies

Got something to talk about? Be it video games, other tabletop or card games, even random stuff - this is the place to post!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Zombies or Skeletons

Zombies
No votes
Skeletons
100%

Total votes: 17

Grogsnotpowwabomba
The Aspect of Murder
The Aspect of Murder

Skeletons vs Zombies

Post by Grogsnotpowwabomba »

I have started this discussion on a number of forums and figured I would start it here as well since we seem to have quite a few Vampire Counts players. Here goes...

Discuss the pros and cons of Skeletons versus Zombies and why you would use each (or if you wouldn't).

I personally see little use for Zombies other than being summoned as speed bumps, because it seems Skeletons are a MUCH better buy for 8 points. Zombies seem like they would almost be a hindrance in combat, even in a flanking maneuver, since they will die so horribly and negate all the advantages the flank maneuver provides. But I wanted to hear from you.
Dark Alliance
Morathi's Favoured
Morathi's Favoured

Post by Dark Alliance »

My son plays VC very well and he never, well very very rarely, takes zombies. For the reasons you state.

In my opinion, you are correct, the only time I see them being used effectively is in large blocks of 30 or 40 strong. But fast armies then just go around them, and if the unit they are in combat with also causes fear then they lose a big advantage.

But used correctly via, invocation and vanhels, they are a right royal pain in the a**!
Lord Thalack
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord Thalack »

Yep, I also prefer skeletons.

Bye
Lord Thalack
Lord happyslave
Malekith's Best Friend
Location: Supporting for Kim Clijsters, world's best tennisplayster

Post by Lord happyslave »

Lord Thalack wrote:Yep, I also prefer skeletons.

Me too! Probably because they look cooler than those gore zombies.
But 'cause i don't have the VC army book, I really have to go fvor the looks and then the skeletons win!
Salvation will arrive

on the second of februari

The release of Halo 2
Anaryin
Lord of the 7th Convent

Post by Anaryin »

as well since we seem to have quite a few Vampire Counts players

hehe i'm one of them. zombies, in my opinion are worthless. only as speedbumps really. imagine a charge of those guys against heavy armoured dwarfs, armed with great weapons... they strike before the zombies. lol it's really annoying. my army consisted of 60 skellies 20 grave guard a banshee a vampire lord (strigoi) and 2 necromancers. oh and spirit hosts and fell bats. zombies..naaa.....too slow
Grogsnotpowwabomba
The Aspect of Murder
The Aspect of Murder

Zombies just seem overpriced to me for what they do.

I think either a points reduction or a bump up to T4 would make them more viable. I would prefer the Toughness increase as I think it would represent them better.

I think I'll go with one big block in the middle just because I like the models.
Grogsnotpowwabomba
The Aspect of Murder
The Aspect of Murder

I have also heard from some players that against elite infantry Zombies are a better choice to use, since they are cheaper and the Skeletons will die just as easily.
Dark Alliance
Morathi's Favoured
Morathi's Favoured

Post by Dark Alliance »

Are you starting VC as your second army then instead of skaven? ( probably missed your posts where you have already answered this :oops: )

I view zombies in the same light as swarms etc and slayers, there to piss off the opponents elite units! You get the best laughs if you raise them during the game, behind the enemy lines, charge, they fail a fear test and run away right into the path of your knights or grave guard! :lol: :lol:
Grogsnotpowwabomba
The Aspect of Murder
The Aspect of Murder

Dark Alliance wrote:Are you starting VC as your second army then instead of skaven? ( probably missed your posts where you have already answered this :oops: )

Yeah, I played Skaven for a little while and realized they are not for me. They win with their shooting which is not what I want in a horde army. I also simply felt guilty playing them :(

I am currently trying to sell them, and it seems I have a few interested in the Clan Rats. I have a post in the Trading Section if you or anyone you know is interested.

VC was the first army I ever considered, but at the time it seemed to me almost half the players in my area had an army of them, so after a long debate with myself I chose the Druchii. I don't regret it for a second, but its time I got my Undead horde going... Its long overdue. :)
Kragg the dragon lord
Cold One Knight

Post by Kragg the dragon lord »

I like zombies but just for the models..... skelletons are just a lot better than these zombies....

As some of you say : thei're the same thing against heavy cavalry or even elite foot units.... ( pretty much crap)....... :D :D

But i like VC a lot, and thei're probably mi second army...

Bye

Kragg
"Mine","Oi ! ", "Gerroff ! ", "I saw it first..."
Powerfulfawn
Cold One Knight

Post by Powerfulfawn »

I don't play VC but i've had a glance at the rules and i would never take zombies over skeletons.
Poisonblade
Beastmaster

Post by Poisonblade »

Skeletons with a Strigoi with Infinate hatred will shred any non-elite regiment in the game.
Hate is my weapon.

Post by Guest »

I would probably play Strigoi if the models weren't so awful.
Vorchild
Master of the Red Legion
Master of the Red Legion

Post by Vorchild »

Zombies have their uses more in tune with speed bumps, but I've seen the used effectively in conjunction with Vanhel's to get rid of fast cav unit or to take a cav unit in the flank and sometimes they even break the things. If you raise enough (all the more probable over skellies) you can get ranks, a flank bonus and maybe a kill over their kills (few if attacking the flank) and their possible standard. If you raise enough you can dealy them for a long enough time to get those GG in there and if lucky can even autobreak them in the first round (especially chariots). If you are lucky...
_
The storm is coming...
Are you ready?
Poisonblade
Beastmaster

Post by Poisonblade »

I have seen people take a big unit of 40 zombies and keep them on their flanks. It is a good way to keep flankers busy. Also, if you try and avoid the zombies to attack the skeletons or grave guard, the zombies will end up flanking you the next turn. Still though, Skeletons are much better for the points.
Hate is my weapon.
Drakfien venomblade
Shade

Post by Drakfien venomblade »

I think Skeletons are much better overall but, I routinely take two units of zombies in my 2k VC army. Zombies are useful as cheap ablative armor for my Necromancers and can be used similarly to Swarms tying up a flank for quite a while. The extra Zombies you get when raising them helps to offset their dismal performance in HTH. I think that an advantage of skeletons over Zombies that hasn't been mentioned yet has to be that you can paint them about ten times faster.
What is best in life?

To crush your enemies,
To see them driven before you,
And to hear the lamentation of their women.

Also a good slave to kick around isn't bad.
Dungeon_god
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Dungeon_god »

I have not ever used Zombies except when I raised them in my first game as VC-never again will I use them. They don't even really make that great of speed bumps-they usually just allow the opponent to run through them, although they don't do a half bad job of doing that...Frenzied opponents-required overrun-although, Skeletons will probably fare about the same in that instance. :D
Well, time WOULD be nice...
And, Storm of Chaos is here. Are you ready?
Linda lobsta defenda
Witch Elf
Witch Elf

Post by Linda lobsta defenda »

zombies are good. my single zombie unit (i play lahmians so i don't want more). have always done me proud.

they have higher unit max so easier to outnumber the enemy and you can raise them a lot faster then you can skellies. also painting skellies all the time is BOOOORing.
M'tarl thornblood
Warrior

Post by M'tarl thornblood »

Skellies cause they (to me) are easier to paint. I don't play any VC or TK but i do have about 20 or so skellies painted up for use in skirmish.