Thoughts on the Canadain WD

Got something to talk about? Be it video games, other tabletop or card games, even random stuff - this is the place to post!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Underway
Silver Khaine Winner

Thoughts on the Canadain WD

Post by Underway »

Well for those of you who have picked up your latest US WD in Canada and read the Canadian supplement you will have realized that Canada will be getting its own WD comming the end of May.

It will first be released at Games Day, and then in the stores thereafter. I was wondering what people thought about Canada going all the way with their own magazine. I know there will still be many articles from both the UK and the US in there but Canadian Content is good right??? Or is this perhaps because of the Canadain content rules from the federal Gov't and has nothing to do with acutally doing a Canadian WD.

As for those of you in Canada who want to write arcticles, it shouldn't be to hard to do so. There are far less GW players to compete against than if you wanted one of your articles in the US WD now.
Langmann
Malekith's Tastetester & Physician

Post by Langmann »

To be honest, I'd rather stay with the US WD. I'm afraid that the number of people just won't provide the quality - such as it is - for a decent WD every month. But then again we know its just a flag-leader for advertising their models anyhow! Who knows maybe it'll surprise me.

(Damn Shrieking Shiela Copps and her Canadian Content anyway!@#$)
While running a million dollar company, singing at weddings, and his frequent jetting to Spain Elton Jon style, Dark Alliance found the time to stand on the doorstep of Games Workshop like Moses and the Pharoah and calmly state, "Let my people go."
Arduhn
Executioner

Post by Arduhn »

Maybe the price will go down, that would be good, plus maybe now it won't be bagged and we can look in it before we buy it to see if it is worth it.

Personally I think it can only get better...or at least it can't get much worse.
Always forgive your enemies...nothing annoys them more.
Prince of arnheim
Renegade Reaver

Post by Prince of arnheim »

I hope it isn't anything like the Canadian Website which is pretty much useless as it is right now....it's ok and all but I would rather go to the Uk site cause it has so many more articles...same with the Us site. I think it's a good idea though if the depth is there. I have gotten fed up with WD cause it is full of so many advertisements that are repeated issue after issue. I will be interested to see if the new CD WD if gonna actually be something new or just a reprint of collaborated stuff.

ACtually that almost goes for alot GW does these days, they really need to get something exciting going cuase what i'm seeing with all the choppy plastic models and typo filled rule books really cheeze me off for how much they cost. Anyways.....sorry to speak my mind, don't mind if anyone cuts me down .....
Fr0
Trademaster

Post by Fr0 »

I'm annoyed at you for mispelling Canadian twice. :x

Now that we've got that clear.. ;)

I thought we were doing just fine with getting US White Dwarf, and sometimes UK WD. I think that since GW has expanded a LOT in Canada over the past couple of years it's a very good thing that we have our own WD coming out. This will allow some aspiring writers to have a chance to get published, and also for the great talent we have here (amongst other places I realze that, I'm not ignorant)

Prince of Arnheim wrote:I hope it isn't anything like the Canadian Website which is pretty much useless as it is right now....it's ok and all but I would rather go to the Uk site cause it has so many more articles...same with the Us site.

I'm sure this will change in the very near future, as for me I favour the UK site as it's layout is infinetely better and the content is far more in depth.
Fr0
Seanzala
Death Jester

Post by Seanzala »

I don't think you will have a problem with content. Us Aussies have had our own WD for ages now, and you have about 10 million more people than us. It might be a bit slow to start off but it shouldn't take too long.

Sean
Underway
Silver Khaine Winner

Post by Underway »

langmann wrote:To be honest, I'd rather stay with the US WD. I'm afraid that the number of people just won't provide the quality - such as it is - for a decent WD every month. But then again we know its just a flag-leader for advertising their models anyhow! Who knows maybe it'll surprise me.

(Damn Shrieking Shiela Copps and her Canadian Content anyway!@#$)

Always complaining against Shiela eh Langmann, she used to be my MP. Ahhh good ole Shiela, member of the Rat Pack, Deputy PM, Martins Arch nemisis, oh and now I think her job description is advisor to anyone who can beat Tony Valeri in an election!!

Not that I'm against Canadian content, there only has to be a certain % of it published in the zine anyways, and then they can poach articles from the rest of the WD's. However the content from the Canadian supplement does not leave me with that warm fuzzy feeling. Hmmm, looks like I'm going to have to start submiting articles to Steve....errr I mean "The Hukush". (BYW I have played games against all those guys before, Steve esp).
Langmann

Post by Langmann »

Underway wrote:Always complaining against Shiela eh Langmann, she used to be my MP. Ahhh good ole Shiela, member of the Rat Pack, Deputy PM, Martins Arch nemisis, oh and now I think her job description is advisor to anyone who can beat Tony Valeri in an election!!

Yes, you got that one. You know I almost joined the Lieberal party just to vote for paul martin to keep her out until I realized that somehow the party scrounged up enough people of moderate intelligence to say no to her... I know imagine that langmann joining the lieberals, don't worry I had my fingers crossed.

Not that I'm against Canadian content, there only has to be a certain % of it published in the zine anyways, and then they can poach articles from the rest of the WD's. However the content from the Canadian supplement does not leave me with that warm fuzzy feeling. Hmmm, looks like I'm going to have to start submiting articles to Steve....errr I mean "The Hukush". (BYW I have played games against all those guys before, Steve esp).

Well you never know. I'm not holding my breath. Though it is possible that the silly attachment never attracted serious people.

Still as most assert, its really an advertising corporate flag waver.
While running a million dollar company, singing at weddings, and his frequent jetting to Spain Elton Jon style, Dark Alliance found the time to stand on the doorstep of Games Workshop like Moses and the Pharoah and calmly state, "Let my people go."
Philleehellphia
Assassin

Post by Philleehellphia »

I'm actually scared of Canada getting their own WD. Like.. seriously, will there actually be enough content? I'd rather stick with the US White Dwarf, which really should be called North America WD.
Edmonton Oilers Western Conference Champions 2006
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Dictator »

should be called North America WD.

Oh I like that statement, and keep the quality up for the canadians ;)
"The Cowards never came, the Weak died along the way, the Brave arrived, the Tough remained." -unknown American pioneer
VC painting log
My blog
My Lizardmen
Seralkith
Beastmaster

Post by Seralkith »

Does any one know if it will be the same size as the US White Dwarf? If it is I'd be intrested.
Underway
Silver Khaine Winner

Post by Underway »

Should be the same size. I just expect that a certain % of articles need to be canadain content as per the Fed Gov't regulations. I think about 25% or something IIRC. Just means that they have to insert a Canadain article or two in there. Canadian Golden Deamon stuff, canadain tournament armies, some conversion articles etc...

I wouldn't be surprised if all the bat reps were done elsewhere and all the normal interviews with Gav etc... were still in there.
Vorchild
Master of the Red Legion
Master of the Red Legion

Post by Vorchild »

I rather like it actually as it will get a bunch of people I know, and hopefully myself, printed up in a magazine - and that's always an exicting thought. :) Also, as the Canadian tournament system is completely different than the US, advertising and whatnot should be a lot easier.

That being said, I don't normally read the mag anyways, so I don't think I'll pick up a subscription.
_
The storm is coming...
Are you ready?
Fr0
Trademaster

Post by Fr0 »

Exactly.

It will have a certain percent of Canadian content required by law(which is appaulingly low) but still excellent nonetheless.

Underway, are you from Canada?

Fr0
Doriili bariiliia
Raiding Baron

Post by Doriili bariiliia »

i was unaware that Magazines had content requirement? can some one point me to the Laws text?
"Khaine is pleased with my service brother, I care little for your opinion. The Old world is my playground. Our family lands in Naggaroth are yours."
Fr0
Trademaster

Post by Fr0 »

Can't say that I can give you a reference myself, I was told it long ago, and don't doubt it due to the fact that Canadian television stations require 50% Canadian content, so I'm thinking that there should be a similar law concerning books.

I could have heard wrong, but it's concievable.

Fr0
Seanzala
Death Jester

Post by Seanzala »

Apart from English, American, Australian and now Canadian, are there any other White Dwarfs or not?

Sean
Cathel
Noble

Post by Cathel »

seanzala wrote:Apart from English, American, Australian and now Canadian, are there any other White Dwarfs or not?

Sean

Sure, we got our own WD in Germany.
How much they copy from the UK one I'm not sure.
I don't know exactly what GW is up to, but in the shops you can't get english army books that easily anymore.
If they were not sitting on our land, I would not spend a single bolt on the Asur.
How to tell apart the elves:
Men run naked - Asrai
Women run naked - Druchii
Don't know whether man or woman - Asur
Gnosis
Hard, but Fair

Post by Gnosis »

seanzala wrote:Apart from English, American, Australian and now Canadian, are there any other White Dwarfs or not?

Sean

A French one, for a start, distributed in France, Switzerland and Wallony (French speaking part of Belgium). An Italian and Spanish one as well, I believe.
Count them:

Painted in 2013: 500
Painted in 2014: 600
Painted in 2015: 854
Langmann

Post by Langmann »

Fr0 wrote:Can't say that I can give you a reference myself, I was told it long ago, and don't doubt it due to the fact that Canadian television stations require 50% Canadian content, so I'm thinking that there should be a similar law concerning books.

I could have heard wrong, but it's concievable.

Fr0

The MAPL (Content) laws only cover Radio and Television I believe. (Those laws are crap, they favor established artists like Bryan Adams, Celine Dion etc. over new ones. Perfect example of unintended consequences. The cream will rise to the top, we've never needed crappy laws to sell good CDN stuff in the States and the rest of the world - in fact they are hungry for our humour).

The magazine laws you are thinking of are called: Foreign Publishers Advertising Services Act. I don't know if any of it really applies to this situation (unless GW is so fricking poor that they are now looking for CDN subsidies), because the magazine is really a book that they produce just like an army book and not really a magazine that they are selling advertising for.

I think they're just doing it to try and encourage us to participate and buy more stuff.
Fr0
Trademaster

Post by Fr0 »

Ah, see I wasn't too sure but I was told something similar, but as stated it's not completely unreasonable.

langmann wrote:I think they're just doing it to try and encourage us to participate and buy more stuff.

I thought you were like a Swede or something? :? Goes to show how much I know about our members.. though I guess you could stick needles into people anywhere.. ;)

I look forward to seeing the WD, I can't say I'll buy a lot but I will check it out.

Fr0
Eldacar
Loremaster

Post by Eldacar »

Apart from English, American, Australian and now Canadian, are there any other White Dwarfs or not?

AFAIK, almost all of GW's websites will have a corresponding WD, if they don't already.
"I live in hope and fear. Hope that once more the Lords of Caledor will ride on the backs of Dragons. Fear that if we do, when we do, it will be our last ride." ~Imrik, High Prince

Initiative Leader - Editors
Mmckeddie
Assassin

Post by Mmckeddie »

The only way this makes sense for the subscriber/purchaser is if the price goes down. It went up substantially when they started doing the supplement. So when we start getting our own WD without that extra pack it "should" go down. But of course it won't because they want to continue to make the extra dough. That kind of cheeses me off.
Death becomes you