get to know your nick...

Got something to talk about? Be it video games, other tabletop or card games, even random stuff - this is the place to post!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Ilokir lúinwë
Asur Bane

get to know your nick...

Post by Ilokir lúinwë »

I want to know what the meaning is of your nick..? I know this is and old topic, but rather than to commit threadomancy (or however it's called?) I want to revive it. I know there are a lot of new members, and from some of them in particular I want to know what their inspiration was for choosing their particular nickname..

I got mine from a Dark Elf name generator. It struck me because of the reference to Loki, Norse god of betrayal and evil. Suits a Dark Elf well :twisted: .
Class: Warrior
Ws: 6 dex: 4 str: 4 T: 3 Int: 4
Skills: Awareness, Defensive fighting, Parry
Equipment: Medium armor, Longsword, 2 Throwing daggers, 50 gold coins

Don't forgive, don't forget
Morvai
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Morvai »

Don’t forget he is also the prankster god.

I got mine from a book from Raymond E. Feist.
The Morvai in the book is a really cool dark elf character.
I liked that character a lot so I decide to use his name as my nickname here.

Ps. the avatar isn’t a picture of him by the way.
Masters of Mischief (NC background)
The Black Blades (DE). W: 2 D: 2 L: 1
Atarinkë
Slave on the Altar

Post by Atarinkë »

Atarinkë is the mothername of Kurufinwë, the fourth son of Fëanáro.... A cunning and vile elf :twisted:
Neves
Black Guard

Post by Neves »

Well, my name is quite good chosen.

First of all, my real name is Sven, turn that backwards, add an "e" and voila: Neves

Second: Neves spelt backwards is Seven, also my lucky number :P

Third: my Canadian uncle always spelt my name like Seven instead of Sven

I also found out that Neves is the middle name of some Latin American musician.

Neves is also a Belgian company that makes sliding doors...(also availabele for closets :twisted: ) EDIT: built in closets that is :D

Well there you go! :D
On my signal...unleash Hell.
Linda lobsta defenda
Witch Elf
Witch Elf

Post by Linda lobsta defenda »

since i get the question quite often. *dep breath*

well the Linda part is easy, it is my name (or when i picked the nick it was the name i wanted to have).

Lobsta Defenda is from another forum (Ultima Thule over on dellphiforums), where one member was called Lucy Lobsta and her avatar was a lobster, and she played as a lobsta. and some other members always wanted to *gulp* cook her. and then i started to defend her and was granted the LObsta Defenda Sword and got the title Linda Lobsta Defenda
Rasputinii
M-A-D

Post by Rasputinii »

Rasputin as in the mad monk. The second because, well the first is dead :lol:. Just something I thought up when I was a kiddy, and has stuck. Everyone Warhammery related calls me Ras IRL as well now. I like that, its like my warhammer name :D
Pleased to be back
The liger
Malekith's Pet Cat

Post by The liger »

Mine is a bit sad. Basically it started out as bladeliger11, which I chose as some random nickname on a website (the Lego website I believe) because I'd just randomly watched an episode of Zoids (Blade Liger was one of the big machiney things that was sehr kool) and I happened to be 11 years old at the time (ah, those were the days :P ).

I used that nickname on about every forum I went on, but then about 6 months ago I changed it, to make it sound just a bit more "proffessional" if you like, and got rid of the 11, as well as capitalising it - Blade Liger. Then soon after, since I hadn't watched Zoids in about 4 years, I just renamed myself The Liger, and now that's my nickname on all forums. Not as inspired or exciting as others, but still, at least the avatar fits now as well (more than the random Witch King picture which I installed in 2004 :P ).
"Purrrrr...."

Venkh wrote:I wish i had been told about the "A-Team effect" that druchii experience with their shooting.

i.e. move into position, huge ammounts of shooting, nobody gets killed.
Cervantes3773
Cold One Knight

Post by Cervantes3773 »

From Miguel de Cervantes, the author of Don Quijote.

When I first began Spanish classes in high school, we chose a Spanish name to call ourselves. Most kids chose the Spanish version of their real name... Mike-Miguel, John-Juan, etc.

I picked Cervantes... 'cause I figured that someone needed to use a famous name.
¡Viva la revolución!
Kida
Undercover Asrai

Post by Kida »

Kid A is actually one of Radiohead's albums. Most daring and most controversial album I know. And very, very good, actually. It is also the only album I know that managed to top both UK and US charts without ever releasing any single :D (not that it matters, but it is interesting to know).

Also, when it came to picking nick for myself, I kinda wanted something not directly related to a specific race or even Warhammer. That way I could use the same one on all forums without felling silly (I actually used to be a 'Waywatcher' on a domestic forum, then took the same name on a Rainingglade forum, which turned up to be a bit awkward, since there already were a couple of those on other forums. Then I changed it to just 'WW', as usually people called me that way on the forum. After the merge of that forum into Asrai.org, I just took the name from this forum, as well as the avatar).

my Last.fm page in case anyone is interested...
D-boy
Warrior

Post by D-boy »

mine is from Johhny the Homocidal Maniac (my Favorite comic) D-Boy is one of the Pilsberry doughboys that follow him around and encourages him not to kill himself.

origanly i was planing to use the name Nailbunny but D-Boy sounded better

the other doughboy was MR. eff

Rasputin isent the the man that took the throne in WWI Russia?
I am the doctor of death and I have come to cure you of life

Name: Thandahr
Ws3 / S3 / T2 / D5 / I5
Equipment: Short Sword, Repeater Crossbow, Shade Cloak
Skills: Basic Stealth
Rasputinii
M-A-D

Post by Rasputinii »

D-boy, nope that was Lennin. Rasputin was about earlier, he had it away with the Tzarna, was incredibley unclean, some sort of mad religous bloke and was impossible to kill (which is wherethe real fascination comes from). Even after being poisoned and shot several times he was still alive. So they chained him up in a capet and through him in a freezing river.
Pleased to be back
Hunter_commando
Dark Rider

Post by Hunter_commando »

Mine is from another wargaming system. A Hunter Commando is a 4 meter tall, Airdroppable assault Meca with a bazooka. I used it to set up my e-mail account years ago, and in the user name, I could not use a space.
Doc Z
Tzares
Cold One Knight

Post by Tzares »

Tzar from Tsar the russian rulers.. +
Ares from the god of war =
Tzares 8)
The Exiles - 5000+p Dark Elf
The Pestilence League - 1500p Warriors of Nurgle
Nonus
Shade

Post by Nonus »

I chose Nonus Aequilibrieth for my first good nick at one mmorpg. It’s from the Emperor’s IX Equilibrium album. In school I learned more Latin and got to know that Nonus means ninth and Equ… I don’t know it in english maybe counterforce is close enough. My Nonus named character made himself a celebrity and I got called Nonus in real life. Of topic but I just wonder does it sound like Malus which is also Latin. Maybe they might be brothers…
Hear me while I live!
Lord hajjij
Rotting skull on the Glottkin trail

Post by Lord hajjij »

el Hajjij is the name of my favorite M:TG card of all time, way back when I used to play (3rd edition)
So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong and to strike at what is weak.

-Sun Tzu
Deathwing
Cold One Knight

Post by Deathwing »

Deathwing, pretty obvious as Dark Angels player.;) and I like that name.
Voodoomaster
Lord General Of Khaine

Post by Voodoomaster »

mine is a Long Story, way way way way back at School in year 7, some 7 years ago now at least we used to have games evenings on the school computers and we all had our own clans. Now after the crisis that led to the fall of Half Life from the Computers we had to rely on Quake II for our entertainment instead. After us young year 7's looked around the skins we found the Female Voodoo Skin, now being the leader of this young clan i took the name Voodoo1, and the other 3 members that were playing at the time took the names 2-4 respectivly. However, soon a Year 8 whom i was friends with shouted out a few weeks later, "Hey Voodoomaster one on one in the pit now" The name has stuck ever since.
"For every victory there is a defeat, for every defeat there is a victory. My victory, my defeat are for all to see..."
Khael Vraneth, Lord-General of Khaine.
Gnosis
Hard, but Fair

Post by Gnosis »

Nonus Aequilibrium wrote:maybe counterforce is close enough

Equilibrium = balance.

My nickname is derived from one of my all-time favourite albums by Opeth. Simple as that.
Count them:

Painted in 2013: 500
Painted in 2014: 600
Painted in 2015: 854
Eeeeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Eeeeron »

Nickname my hallmates came up with at university, it can be spelt with a varying number of e's depending on how you feel, 4 has kind of stuck as standard though.

And no they don't know what the inspiration for it is and didn't then either.
Don't hate the player, hate the game.

Bring on the dancing squirrels!

Consolecommunity.com - For all your gaming chat and meet-ups
Fr0
Trademaster

Post by Fr0 »

My nick is my RL nick that I've had for eleven years or so. I add the zero cos' it's the internet. ;)

Fr0
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

I searched a lot of names on a elf name generator and that gave me inspiration to come up with "Daeron" and it gave me the name "Syriath", the family/house name of my character. I chose those names because I like the sound of them and because "D. S." are the initials of my name, handy for artwork based on the initials. :)
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
Belial
Modest Member

Post by Belial »

Well... I remember readig somewhere that Belial was supposed to be the lord of lies in hell. And sounds good, IMO. Nothing more to it. I later learned there was a band called the same.
Azimyth
Beastmaster

Post by Azimyth »

My nic is a quirky spelling of my second name (which everyone uses anyway, not many people know my first name) and my surname.
South African Players: http://www.warhammergenerals.co.za
Religion: A cult for the masses
God Protect Me ... From Your Followers
ETC: Rules for whingers who still want to play 7th
General kala
Blasphemer and Heretic
Blasphemer and Heretic
Location: Sowing the seeds of evil in the hills of Austin, TX

Post by General kala »

Mine was the name of a bit character from the dorky 80's Flash Gordon movie. General Kala was the leader of the armies of Ming the Merciless. She was just so vicious and fanatically loyal to her emperor that I thought she would made a great Druchii.

The scene in my signature line goes something like this:

Red Shirt: General Kala, War Rocket Ajax is returning.

Kala: With Gordon's body?

Red Shirt: I presume so. Communications are down.

Kala: Are they on the proper approach pattern for today?

Red Shirt: Negative.

Kala: Open fire.

Red Shirt (stunned): On Ajax, General?

Kala (furious): OPEN FIRE! All weapons! Charge the Lightning shield! NOW!

- blizzard of energy weapon fire -
Because anyone vicious enough to shoot down her own battlecruiser because there might be a traitor at the helm deserves to have a Druchii namesake.
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

My name is taken from a secondary character in the Elric of Melnibone books.
Last edited by Dyvim tvar on Fri Jun 30, 2006 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Truly These are the End Times ...