Guys, some important questions..., About IB, English school.

Got something to talk about? Be it video games, other tabletop or card games, even random stuff - this is the place to post!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Zurvidol
Cold One Knight

Guys, some important questions..., About IB, English school.

Post by Zurvidol »

Guys,
I need your help. My parents want to send me to UK, Cambridge to learn for IB - International Baccalaureate, and I'm a bit happy, a bit sad (cause I don't want to leave my friends and so on...), but my real problem are....
Subjects...
I don't know how much they differ from those in Poland, I meen how are they taught, what do u do there, what do u have to learn...
If u can help me please I would like to know everything about:
IB (is it hard, have anyone passed it...)
History
Economics
Maths Methods
Maths Studies
Classical Studies
Art
Environmental Systems
Psychology
Geography
Biology
From those and some others, which does not interest me I have to choose 6 difrent, including:
English A2
Maths
Science Course
Humanities course
My own language
and 6th is what I want...
I would also like to know what do I need to learn to go for Law, History, Psychology, philosophy and other "rather similar" things...
I'll be really greatful for every kind of help

Zurvidol
Sin have only the begining, never the end -Polivios Dimitrakopulos
Voodoomaster
Lord General Of Khaine

Post by Voodoomaster »

well first things first is what age is this i take it is 16+ and therefore AS and A2 Levels.

Currently i am Studying A2 Law and History (modern) and AS ICT and Politics, but i also took AS Maths last year, which i did not enjoy personally.

Law, is a great subject i feel although it is alot harder in the A2 year, the AS year however you study the basics of the English Legal system with exams on Sources of Law, Interpreting law (i think it was in jan 05 that i took that) and Legal personal.
A2 is more focus upon the Crimes of Law, with exams on Crimes etc with the Exams focusing upon Fatal and Non Fatal Offences Etc, and then Robbery and Burglary etc etc.
the Exams are Crime 1 and Crime 2 and then the special Study which for me is on Burglary Robbery and Theft.

History AS i took the Rise of the Nazi's although i also had the option for Russia and Tudors and the exams i took were all about the rise of the Nazi's up to 1939, this year however for the A2 i took the Cold War and Decolonisation, with Exams coming up, next month infact on The Cold War, Vietnam and Decolonisation.

i hope that helps a bit.
rgds
VM
"For every victory there is a defeat, for every defeat there is a victory. My victory, my defeat are for all to see..."
Khael Vraneth, Lord-General of Khaine.
Zurvidol
Cold One Knight

Post by Zurvidol »

Thx Voodoomaster, i'm 16 and it's 16+, btw how old are u? One thing, in Poland on history we are made to remember dates and so on... And how does it look in England? What is english style of teaching?
Voodoomaster
Lord General Of Khaine

Post by Voodoomaster »

i am 18, and have taken the AS and A2 history for two years now, and basically the style of teaching is slightly different i feel, it is not simply remembering dates and putting answers to what these dates were etc, in this case we are asked specific questions about certain events and we must evaluate them and draw a conclusion, if you wish i can find my AS Course hand book for history and scan you parts of it for you to browse through.
"For every victory there is a defeat, for every defeat there is a victory. My victory, my defeat are for all to see..."
Khael Vraneth, Lord-General of Khaine.
Zurvidol
Cold One Knight

Post by Zurvidol »

I would be bery happy if u would do that :D...
Belial
Modest Member

Post by Belial »

What I'm about to write about won't be about any of the techincal stuff, not even school, education, so on.

You're writing that you'll feel sad, 'cause you'll be leaving friends. Anyone would feel sad.

BUT let me say this: You moving away will be a great test of who your real friends are. Sorry for being a cynic, but you WILL loose contact to may people. On th eother hand, you'll keep strong ties with others.

Your bonus, socially, will be that if you move on to a place you live with others(college, border school, whatever) I will PROMISE you, frindships that are true friendships. Friendships that last for life. In Denmark we have a kind of school where you live, though not being an actual boderschool, but the friends I've made there are... well... REAL friends. I lost contact with EVERYONE I knew before, and now I look back, I see how litle they actually were my friends. We spend all time together, but they weren't real friends.

No. When you live with people, you get to know them. Really know them. And then you'll have the best friendships imaginable.

Lastly: It's a big decision you're making. I hope you take the right choice. And I hope you go. 'Cause leaving home, in another country, studying, and making new relations, it matures you, educates you, and will make you.... you.

I hope it'll be as pleasant an experience as I think.

-Belial
Rasputinii
M-A-D

Post by Rasputinii »

The problem Voodoo, is I believe that like me your are doings As and not the IB. The IB is a cmpletely different kettle of fish, and one I have no knowledge of. Personally I would hate to do it. I would much rather Do A levels, then GCSEs mkII.

Any idea which school you would be going to? Not many do the IB over here. Most of them are either awfully posh or girls schools (or both). I don't really know what point I am trying to make, but it seems odd to come to England to do the IB. You would probably be better off in a european school (maybe French or Bavarian) to do the IB where it is more established. In the UK the A level is the most common level of higher education, and you might as well take "advanatge" of that if you are comming to the UK. Or not. Just a thought.

But yeah, unless I am mistaken Voodoo is taking A levels, in which case his work is not an accurate reflection of the IB, as it is far less detailed then the IB. Also I think the IB is the same (or practically) the same in every country that does it, so finding our details shouldn't be difficlt at all, and you should have some info on it ona polish education site or summit like that.

If on the other hand you wanna talk about A-levels then I can help you there (much better then the IB for sure)...

Ras
Pleased to be back
The dark prince
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by The dark prince »

The International Baccalaureate Diploma Progam (I assume this is the one you are talking about) is offered at my school and I'm probably going to be doing it next year so I may be able to help you in some way.

The IB is pushed at my school as the program for the more advanced and smarter students. The general consensus is that if you're smarter, the IB will maximise your potential and you will achieve higher results than you would in the VCE (our State program). Much of the reliance (around 90-95%) for your final marks is in your final IB exams at the end of your schooling, so I suppose this adds more pressure than other programs. To summarise, the program is said to be harder, but you get more reward for your effort.

The program is basically crafted in an attempt to mould an 'all-round' student. There are seven different parts to the IB:
1) Language A: This is your first language. For me, this is English. For you, presumably Polish.
2) Language B: This is your second language. Could be anything from English to French to German to Chinese. It depends on what the school offers.
3) Individuals and Societies: This is all Humanities subjects such as Law, History, Geography, Economics, Philosophy and Psychology etc.
4) Experimental Science: This group includes all standard Sciences such as Biology, Chemistry, Physics etc.
5) Mathematics: Pretty self explanatory.
6) Arts: This includes both performing and visual arts.

The seventh category includes a 4000 word extended essay, a 100-hour Theory of Knowledge component and 150 CAS hours, which stands for Creativity, Action, Service. For more information about this category, go here.

You must select at least one subject from each of the first six categories, however an Arts subject is not compulsory and can be dropped allowing you to pick up another subject from groups 3 or 4. At least 3 of your subjects have to be done at Higher Level, which indicates a more advanced course, while the remainder are done at Standard Level.

The scoring system is as follows:
- Each subject is scored out of 7.
- A minimum of 1 point in each subject and a total of 24 is needed to pass.
- 3 'bonus' points are available from successfully completing the components of category 7 to a satisfactory level.
- The top score possible is 45 points.

Its hard to explain everything here, if you want to know more simply look here and here, or PM me.

It is basically a good program to do if your an all-rounder, and especially if you plan on studying overseas because it is acceepted as standard across the globe at many of the world's leading universities. Whether it is worth uprooting your life to move to England, especially when Ras says it is not a very mainstream choice over there, I'm not sure.

Hope I helped a bit,
TDP
Philleehellphia
Assassin

Post by Philleehellphia »

My school is an IB School... and I could've taken some IB courses but I strayed away due to the fact that.... c'mon.. it's a waste of time, IMO.
Edmonton Oilers Western Conference Champions 2006
Shade

Post by Eluiasur »

Actually i go to a french school (curriculum and everything is given by "leducation national " ) in the US (chicago) and i am doing the french Baccalaureate (for the next 2 years) and i have many freinds who used to go to my school in middle school (cause my school does both) who chose to go to another school in highschool for the IB program , and from what i understand the Ib program isnt takn much into account in french and american universities... the french bac for example can easily get you 1 year college credit in american schools, but i went to northwestern for a model UN conference and talked to a bit of the staff and i forget what the word is ...but IB isnt great, basicly what they said... and this is just a specific example...
Not meaning to discourage you but as previously said why not take advantage of all the great UK programs...not that i know much about them, i mean IB in the states is basicly whole lot of extra work for not very much credit...

oh yeah and my freinds that are taking IB...are in an all honours school and if you know what that means ...they basicly ave no life cause they work 24/7 :shock: ...i get more credit ...get more agnalogment for my work and work less, well this year i did ayways... the only down part is that being in a french school its gonna be "harder" to get an exellent grade on my SATs....

As i have the option of tking the IB still , i would be very interested in knowing why youre going to IB instead of any more common program?
Waerik
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Waerik »

why youre going to IB instead of any more common program?

Because it might be fun with something different... That's at least why I choose it...

(around 90-95%)

Nopes... Around 75-80% of your total grade comes from exams, and then I'm not counting the extra points from ToK and the EE. The spare 20-25% comes from internal assessment, e.g. lab reports in sciences...

you to pick up another subject from groups 3 or 4.

You can also take an additional subject at B level.

History I did not read history, but I have friends who did. To me it seems a bit woofly, e.g. you could incorerpate some bullshit in your answers and still get a good grade, you write your answers in essay form.

and from what i understand the Ib program isnt takn much into account in french and american universities...

Hmm, that's od... The american univeristy in paris (or whatever it is called) was very keen on getting IB students, and if you had a half decent grade, the school would give you the maximum offer for financial aid...

I also know of a guy who got 25 out of 45 in his IB exams, got into the university he wanted and could skip one year since he had done the IB...

From my understanding the IB has a very good status in the US; there have been some controversities in the "bibel belt", the IB was accuesd of beeing egalitarian, non-christian (e.g. do not support the christian creation thingy), beeing international and stuff...

Economics My favourite subject, the very thing that I'm gonna continue to study at university... There is a good book for it too, (was written by my teacher :P, Matt McGee, it is very easy to follow...) I found economics to be very fun, and easy. But I do however have a very good mind for those sort of things... Examinations are done via essay answers...

Maths Methods This is the mathematics cource that I took, it really is basic mathematics, nothing difficult or fancy really... You solve problems of varying length in your exams...

Maths Studies This is the ciddy version of maths, it is a nerfed methods cource, where they have taken awy basic calculus and stuff... I think that you only should concider taking methods if you suck at maths, you may very well find your knowledge of maths beneficial in other subjects, e.g. sceinences.

English A2 I think you mean english B here, that's the one I read... A B language focuses on the understanding of the language, while an A language focuses on analysis of different forms of literature, your A1 language is usually your mother toung, and as a basis you only read one A language.

Psychology There is a lot of reading to do here... i.e. the subjcet focuses more on knowledge of terms than understanding... Examination is done via short essay answers and extended response answers (longer essays...)

Biology I took physics as my science, but I have friends who took biology... It is supposed to be a rather hard subject, and among other things you need to be able to draw different things such as cells...

The IB is pushed at my school as the program for the more advanced and smarter students.

I think that the IB is designed for normal inteligent but ambisous students...

they basicly ave no life cause they work 24/7

That does not have to be true...

I have never really done any homeworks ever in my life, only hand ins... The only time I ever actually studied was before my final exams, and then I started a week a head... And I will still be locking at grades around 38 (which is equal to the top grades in the swedish system, so I don't need more...)

Shure, I am way over normal inteligence, but I'm still far from beeing a friggin genious...

That said, you can have long school days from time to time... The worst I have had was from 8.10 to 17.45... That combined with a two hours trip home made it tedious from time to time, but on a whole it wasn't that bad...

If you would like to no something more specificly, just ask me... I did my IB exams in may this year (so I just graduated, and have everything in fresh mind...)

And the IB does not have anything to do with the english school system... The IB is designed by the IBO, who are an independent international organisation, there are IB schools on around 110 different countries...
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
Rasputinii
M-A-D

Post by Rasputinii »

From my understanding the IB has a very good status in the US; there have been some controversities in the "bibel belt", the IB was accuesd of beeing egalitarian, non-christian (e.g. do not support the christian creation thingy), beeing international and stuff...

American Uis love foreign schooling programmes, because they go a year further, and so students can skip the first year or just do very well at it. Its like with A - levels. If you get 3 As you can get full scholarships to almost all American Unis...

[/OT]
Pleased to be back
Jamesfazzolari
Highborn

Post by Jamesfazzolari »

@ The Dark Prince; your quite wrong.

The IB is undertaken primarily if your interested in studying abroad, otherwise it is really no different to the VCE.

As for acheiving more by doing the IB - I can safely tell you that if your smart, you will do just as well in VCE as you will in IB, perhaps better as VCE allows for strategic subject selection and IB does not.

What school are you going to? I cannot think of why they would make up something like that and feed it their students.

I attend Camberwell Grammar - ranked 1 in the state for VCE for boys schools - and we are a VCE school, not an IB, it really doesnt matter which you do - choose the subjects that appeal to you.

james fazzolari
It is better to try and fail than never having tried at all.
Niterabbit
Rabbit Solitaire
Location: Posing as a member of Team Shenanigans, or with Rork, Loki, DP, Cal, Silas, Geo, and Morn

Re: Guys, some important questions..., About IB, English sch

Post by Niterabbit »

Zurvidol wrote:Guys,
I need your help. My parents want to send me to UK, Cambridge to learn for IB - International Baccalaureate, and I'm a bit happy, a bit sad (cause I don't want to leave my friends and so on...), but my real problem are....
Subjects...
I don't know how much they differ from those in Poland, I meen how are they taught, what do u do there, what do u have to learn...
If u can help me please I would like to know everything about:
IB (is it hard, have anyone passed it...)
History
Economics
Maths Methods
Maths Studies
Classical Studies
Art
Environmental Systems
Psychology
Geography
Biology
From those and some others, which does not interest me I have to choose 6 difrent, including:
English A2
Maths
Science Course
Humanities course
My own language
and 6th is what I want...
I would also like to know what do I need to learn to go for Law, History, Psychology, philosophy and other "rather similar" things...
I'll be really greatful for every kind of help

Zurvidol

Damn, I wish I had seen this a whole lot sooner. I passed my IB exams last year, so I would probably be able to help you. Again, you should really take whatever you like, but I took HL History, Economics, English, and SL Chemistry, Math Methods, and French.

HL History focused mainly on European History since 1890, namely the two World Wars and the subsequent Cold War. HL Economics was divided into two parts over two years - the first year we focused mainly on Microeconomics while the second year was devoted to Macroeconomics, the kind of stuff I actually see first-year University students doing, come to think of it. English was World Literature; the toughest thing you would do if you take this course is probably the Cantebury Tales or 100 Years of Solitude if you're still 1st year (IB English 1).

Chemistry at standard level, I don't really have much to say about. It's Chemistry and it was tough - labs are, as always, very important. Math Methods is about standard in terms of difficulty level (Math Studies is for those who really suck at math while HL math is for those people who want to do a Maths degree in university or something. You learn trigonometry, algebra, and basic calculus as well as some other stuff). Finally, foreign languages are simple at Standard Level if you've picked one language and stuck with it throughout school. You shouldn't have any problems here.

Ultimately, the tough work begins in the second year. TOK is a fun course if you like philosophy but it's hit and miss. Some people like it because it's interesting and engaging while some people hate it and don't see any practical application to it. Just remember that you get bonus points on your diploma for a well-written TOK Essay ;). The Extended Essay should be in your best subject - be sure to pick an advisor who is really good at the subject you are taking and check with them regularly. You will need a lot of sources - I used about 5 or 6 books for mine and I did it in History (incidentally, 5 or 6 is about the amount I use for university level essays right now, though they don't have to be 4000 words).

Those are all my thoughts for now. Good luck with your courses. If you have any questions, ask me and I'll try to answer as best I can.
Damnation wrote:If you're too tired to read your codex, you're too tired to post.
Waerik
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Waerik »

You will need a lot of sources - I used about 5 or 6 books for mine and I did it in History

It could be worth mentioning that not all extended essays will be based on books...

I wrote mine in psychology (HL), and there you may only use books, scientific magazines etc.

But in economics for example, you are suposed to colect data directly...

The difference between higer and standard level in a B language is rather small...
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
Zurvidol
Cold One Knight

Post by Zurvidol »

WOW!! I haven't been here for a while and what...
Thx to all of you for your help... For me IB I've chosen:
Polish (SL)
English (HL)
Psycho (HL)
History (HL)
Biology (SL)
Maths Studies
My school is Impington Sixth Form (near Cambridge). If you have any more comments I would be very glad.

Zurvidol
Zurvidol
Cold One Knight

Post by Zurvidol »

2nd post... God know for what....
Niterabbit
Rabbit Solitaire
Location: Posing as a member of Team Shenanigans, or with Rork, Loki, DP, Cal, Silas, Geo, and Morn

Post by Niterabbit »

So you're taking HL English and History. I did those two. Good luck - as long as you enjoy the subjects they shouldn't be too hard for you. Practice your commentary skills because you will do an Oral Commentary at the end of your second year. Never done psych so I can't comment on that, but your SL subjects look fairly simple. I wish my parents had let me take Math Studies...then I wouldn't have gotten such a pitiful grade in my Math section. Anyway, it looks like you've got a fairly solid and easy-to-pass program with your hardest subjects being History and English.

Good luck with your courses.
Damnation wrote:If you're too tired to read your codex, you're too tired to post.