Destroying ourselves.

Got something to talk about? Be it video games, other tabletop or card games, even random stuff - this is the place to post!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Philleehellphia
Assassin

Destroying ourselves.

Post by Philleehellphia »

I just want to present a fact to everyone here.

Canada is the only country in the world that tracks and counts the amounts of Suicides everyday. On Average, everyday, atleast 1 person in Edmonton Alberta, Canada, commits suicide. Edmonton is about 1/5 of the population of Alberta. That means that there's on average about 5 suicides in Alberta everyday. Alberta is about 1/8 the size of Canada. So.. about 40 suicides in Canada everyday.

Canada's population is about the population of California USA, being 32.5 Million. That's just a simple fraction to the population of the world.

There's like what...7 Billion people in the world, so...

7000000000(people in the world)/3250000(people in Canada)=2153.8

2153 x 40 = 86120.

That's an average of 86000 people per day committing suicide, whether that being by the noose, or by an overdose or something really stupid.

So if ever you are completementing suicide, or just thinking about killing yourself, please don't become a worthless statistic.

-Phil
Edmonton Oilers Western Conference Champions 2006
The Dane

Post by Lyhne »

What ? Aww... I thought it was a original idea... *removes suicide from the to-do list*

But that is by statistics, maybe it's very high in that area of canada, so it's quite difficult to say by that...

Cheers
Lyhne
+++Team Mulligans +++
Rorkie wrote:
Rork edit: Caps hurt my eyes. Don't hurt my eyes. If you do, I will hurt your soul.
- human
Adept of Khaine

Post by - human »

I get the point, but...

You can't take the suicide statistic from ONE city and apply it to the world. Just so you know. ;)

But suicide is useless, you're right. I've heard Sweden has the highest suicide rate in the world.
- Human
Rork
Lord of Khorne
Lord of Khorne

Post by Rork »

Since this is quite an emotive subject, may I just remind people to think before they post on this.

Lithuania has the highest number of suicides per 100,000 people.

"Rork.. a wonderful guy :)" - Linda Lobsta Defenda

+++ Team Mulligans +++
Lord hajjij
Rotting skull on the Glottkin trail

Post by Lord hajjij »

- Human wrote:You can't take the suicide statistic from ONE city and apply it to the world. Just so you know. ;)

especially when that city is in canada. if i lived in canada, id kill myself too ;)
So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong and to strike at what is weak.

-Sun Tzu
Heptzul
Trainee Warrior

Post by Heptzul »

Piffle and hogwash, nice to see you though, Phillie.

Canada is the only country in the world that tracks and counts the amounts of Suicides everyday.

On a daily basis, perhaps, but many, many countries keep track of the number of suicides per year.

You can't take the suicide statistic from ONE city and apply it to the world. Just so you know.

Exactly! The suicide rate in Africa is going to be starkly different to that of any Western country or country in Europe. The Eastern countries are not going to have as high as suicide rate due to the fact that it's supposed to stop you getting into heaven or something that the Muslims believe. In a lot of countries, suicide isn't even considered. China's and India's suicide rate is exceedingly low I believe.

Think, if I said that the population growth of the world is equal to such and such and I knew this because I had taken the statistics from some where like Ghana, it would be way out!

if i lived in canada, id kill myself too

Re-read what Rork wrote and learn to punctuate. Please.
Rasputinii
M-A-D

Post by Rasputinii »

Don't be mean/rude to any one on this site, particularly a member as good and amazing as Hajjij.
Pleased to be back
- human
Adept of Khaine

Post by - human »

I don't see that as being too mean or rude, in fact less rude than Hajij's comment. Even though it was just a playful stab. :)

I love canada, but if I didn't live near toronto/vancouver I'd probably kill myself too. But that probably goes for most areas of the US, as well as plenty of other countries in the world. Let's leave it at that.
- Human
Slerac fellblade
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Slerac fellblade »

Eevery place in the world is different and has different rates at which people off themselves. Doesn't Finland have like one of the highest rates. Also do these suicides include Muslim, Christian, Jewish, Buddhist and all the rest of the worlds fundamentalists who strap bombs to themselves in the name of their deity and blow people up?
Ian: We are trying to help as many starving children as possible
Me: Wait a day and there will be less of them
Gnosis
Hard, but Fair

Post by Gnosis »

Slerac Fellblade wrote:Also do these suicides include Muslim, Christian, Jewish, Buddhist and all the rest of the worlds fundamentalists who strap bombs to themselves in the name of their deity and blow people up?

Ah yes, I can see it happening: Abdallah, madly in love with Fatima, is turned down in front of the Mosque. In his rage, he walks through the desert with Bullet for my Ramaddan on his iPod, slits his wrists with the knife he was recently circumcised with, enters his corner of the tent he calls his home, then devises a plot to make a difference in this cruel society.
Count them:

Painted in 2013: 500
Painted in 2014: 600
Painted in 2015: 854
Mornedhel
Cabal without a cause

Post by Mornedhel »

RasputinII wrote:

Don't be mean/rude to any one on this site, particularly a member as good and amazing as Hajjij.

Okay, remind me again where in the Forum Rules it says "Members who often engage in interesting dicsussions with moderators are allowed to break the rules, and other members who remind the aforementioned members to not break the rules may be called rude."?

On suicide, it is bad, but I think there are some cases where it is understandable. I´d just advise everyone who considers it to speak to all the people he hoped were friends about it before he does it. Because you might be surprised how many people actually like you if you just ask them.
Last edited by Mornedhel on Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It´s nice to be important, but it´s more important to be nice.
Getwisteerd
Highborn
Location: The duke's forest (yes that's the name of the town I live in)

Post by Getwisteerd »

I thought that Japan had the highest suicide rate :?
but you really can't do that, calculating the suicide rate by taking the suicide rate of one western town/area (or whatever it is)

(and you really can't blow yourself up in name of Buddha, fanatical Buddhist sweep te streets before them so they don't step on bugs and kill them)
Rork
Lord of Khorne
Lord of Khorne

Post by Rork »

I'm thinking it's best to lock this.

"Rork.. a wonderful guy :)" - Linda Lobsta Defenda

+++ Team Mulligans +++