Poetry, the Art of

Got something to talk about? Be it video games, other tabletop or card games, even random stuff - this is the place to post!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Angelique
Executioner

Post by Angelique »

No, not at all. I think it's very clear what I mean, and I'm certainly not taking it too lightly (like I said). So, I'm not afraid for any negative reactions in that department :)
Gnosis
Hard, but Fair

Post by Gnosis »

Angelique wrote:I don't understand your problem with the last 'kwatrijn' :) ? It says:
...and that...are thirty-five in one river." I didn't found any other suitable word to replace it with, but the most important thing is that the message is intact.

"That are thirty-five in one river" is not correct English. "That's thirty-five" would be better.
Count them:

Painted in 2013: 500
Painted in 2014: 600
Painted in 2015: 854
Belial
Modest Member

Post by Belial »

Actually in written english you cannot shorten words(I had no idea how to actually say this in english), so it would be "That is thirty-five in the river". "That's" is only spoken english. To be strictly correct.
Mpdscott
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Mpdscott »

Belial. wrote:Actually in written english you cannot shorten words(I had no idea how to actually say this in english), so it would be "That is thirty-five in the river". "That's" is only spoken english. To be strictly correct.

There's no such rule, infact there is a rule that states the opposite.
Why would there be a rule for spoken English that's wrong for the written form?
It's perfectly acceptable to abbreviate in that way.
that is = that's
is not = isn't
did not = didn't
could not = couldn't
would not = wouldn't
it is = it's
you are = you're
and so on and so forth
Sitting in the Torturer's Waiting Room......
Belial
Modest Member

Post by Belial »

From what I've learned in my english class, you would not use abbrevations in written english, unless you write something spoken. I could be wrong, but i'm fairly sure as thats what we are taught.
Mpdscott
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Mpdscott »

In current usage, abbreviations are more common than the extended versions of a significant number of word combinations.
It, non-abbreviation, is actually one way of adding import to a sentence.
For example:
Don't touch the fence.
Do not touch the fence.

No major difference, but it does give a little more emphasis. because it has a definate negative word "not", it will have more impact.
However, English, as a language, is full of contradictory rules and grammar, and so saying that there is a single set correct method isn't (is not) always true.
Sitting in the Torturer's Waiting Room......
Belial
Modest Member

Post by Belial »

I don't know. i have just been taught that when writing, (texts, not signs or anything) use of abbrevations are incorrect. to be strict. I realize that the use of abbrevations or not using them can add different falvor to writing. But I geuss you're right when saying that there are no single true method. Just thought there was, as that is what I have been taught(and is what I will be judged upon when I get to exams next year). Anyway, we are getting off topic.
Rasputinii
M-A-D

Post by Rasputinii »

I don't really like poetry.There is something about the vast majority of it that isn't very apealing to me. I like the words to have been carved afresh and a new out of the ethos and put together to create beatutiful sound as well as concept. To describe and to execute a concept, however sublime is only half of the art form from my point of view. Poety should be like music when you read it, it should dance in your head, the words like strokes of a pint bruush or note in a song.

And I don't get that from most poety. Or much poety. I know thats not a conventional point of view to told and know most people will disagree, but thats just my point of view. Words do very little for me as a person. They are fine as a every day form of communication, but as Art I don't find them massively impressive unless contruscted and crafted by some one who appreciates them for their sound as well as meaning.

For me Poetry will never be up there with Art or Music, I just can't see how it can be. But againt thats a personal thing...

Ras
Pleased to be back
Angelique
Executioner

Post by Angelique »

That's why this is a section to those who do like poetry :) ! Your opinion is interesting, but totally not in place. This is thread for people who want to post their poems and receive crticism from others, not a thread to talk about wether or not you like poetry.

Too bad you don't appreciate the beauty of a perfect sonnet or a soundful couplet... I take you aren't touched by a good book or play either ?
Too bad that your view on the arts is so limited... But then that's completely personal.
Rasputinii
M-A-D

Post by Rasputinii »

Too bad you don't appreciate the beauty of a perfect sonnet or a soundful couplet... I take you aren't touched by a good book or play either ?
Too bad that your view on the arts is so limited... But then that's completely personal.

Not a novel person really, greatly enjoy theater though. Why would you suggest that I didn't like the latter? I alluded to being of a visual persuasion, and plays are visual pieces, well audio visual, but meh, it doesn't matter. Its not really "so" limited, saying you don't like one thing is it? I mean I don't know anything about you in real life, so I cant make any assumptions on your knowledge of the arts but well being an Artist I would say that I know something about the subject and not liking poetry is hardly limiting...

Ras
Pleased to be back
Danceman
The Devil in Pale Moonlight

Post by Danceman »

I must say that is an arrogant statement. Art is in the eyes of the beholder and he simply does not appreciate this form of art as art. Much like some people enjoy certain types of music while others dont.

From what I've learned in my english class, you would not use abbrevations in written english, unless you write something spoken. I could be wrong, but i'm fairly sure as thats what we are taught.

There are no rules while writing poetry(although spelling mistakes can be pretty annoying to read)... unless of course you write in a fixed pattern or form, then you have to adhere to it if you cant it be viewed as such.

Anyways, I dont see why we should disuss if poetry is art or not as it clearly wasnt the intent of the poster(am I right).
"Dying is for fools." - Charlie Sheen
Rasputinii
M-A-D

Post by Rasputinii »

I didn't say its not art, I just said I don't really like it thats all. Just throwing my opinion out there.
Pleased to be back
Angelique
Executioner

Post by Angelique »

Words do very little for me as a person. They are fine as a every day form of communication, but as Art I don't find them massively impressive

I took this as your point of view, and based the rest of my reply on that. If you don't like poetry, that's fine with me. For example: I don't like metal, but someone may call it 'art'. Still, I wouldn't be so silly to reply to a thread that clearly has the opposite view on the matter (say, an 'Best metal songse ever' thread), saying that you don't see it that way. It's a little out of place, I feel.
Firestart345
Executioner

Post by Firestart345 »

I don't like metal, but someone may call it 'art'. Still, I wouldn't be so silly to reply to a thread that clearly has the opposite view on the matter (say, an 'Best metal songse ever' thread), saying that you don't see it that way. It's a little out of place, I feel.

It's like shouting " I LOVE CAKE " at a weight loss group :P

Ras: So you feel that language is just a form of communication? Yeah i think that sometimes, but then again poetry is trying to communicate something to the listener/reader. (My dad always talks to himself, and i'm like why the hell are you talking? I'm not listening!(My dads a fool.))
"Once i felt the tenderness and love of a warm, caring family, but they are gone. Whether they still live or not is of no importance, for emotion is a luxury that has long since been lost to me."
Lyhne
The Dane

Post by Lyhne »

Uhm... Could you please get back on the original topic, instead of discussing what Ras said...?
If Ras doesn't like poetry, then he doesn't like poetry, and there is nothing wrong with that.
+++Team Mulligans +++
Rorkie wrote:
Rork edit: Caps hurt my eyes. Don't hurt my eyes. If you do, I will hurt your soul.
Angelique
Executioner

Post by Angelique »

Good idea, nothing of importance has been posted in this page...

This isn't a poem, but in ryme, so most people will like it. My attempt at writing something funny:

"The shades are like ghosts from long ago,
secretly scouting for enemies (where? I dunno)

If your fond of your head then thou must handle with care
Executioners aren't friendly to you, only to the true heir
to the Ulthuan throne

Our horses are dark, the father is cursed
and the women here have a big thirst,
for the flesh of ?????

Isn't Nagaroth a fine place to reside ?
If you don't like it,
you'll end up as a toy for Khaines pretty bride !"

I just wanted to do something funny with the whole Druchii thing, so I wrote this. It isn't perfect, but I just made it up in my mind, writing as I came up with more stuff. It would be fun if people wrote more of these funny things, we could make something big out of this :) !
Angelique
Executioner

Post by Angelique »

Recently, it has been Kyoto Protocols Day. It inspired me to write something in honour of nature, how we can find ourselves back in it. I hope you like it.

Speech of Nature

Deep in the forest, under the screaming of darkness
The birds fly naked -
And light dangles on the tip of branches
Like tears on the lashes of children.

Deep in the sea, under the rule of water
The fish swim dressed -
And the sunked lies immobile and cold
Like the hands of the dying on their sheets.

Deep in us, embracing and merciless
Slumbers the night in his silentsleep language -
Without thoughts, without grammar
Like a flower before it breaks open.

Deeply planted in the Earth.