Please help - Questions on crime for US & UK residents

Got something to talk about? Be it video games, other tabletop or card games, even random stuff - this is the place to post!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Madlarks
Executioner

Please help - Questions on crime for US & UK residents

Post by Madlarks »

Hey I'm a criminal justice student and I'm working a paper for my finals. I was wondering if you guys could help me out by just anwsering the following questions. People are England and London are who I'm looking for in particular but everybody is welcomed (and encouraged) to respond. Besides the following questions could you also post where you live. (London or New York or just what country you are in.) Thanks a bunch guys.

The questions would be as follows:
What country (United States vs England) do you think has more crime?
Do you think crime is a big factor in London?
(Residents of London only): Does the fear of crime affect your daily life? (Avoiding certain areas, carrying protection, walking in groups)
Do you think crime is a big factor in New York?
(Residents of New York only): Does the fear of crime affect your daily life? (Avoiding certain areas, carrying protection, walking in groups)
Which city would you be more afraid of crime in?

Yes or no anwsers are best where they apply. I don't mean to get too personal and this is just a brief survey. The survey is open to anybody with two of the questions ment for residents only.

Rork edit: I've made the title a bit more explicit.
Venkh wrote:Overall, DE are a kind of swiss army knife of an army. We can do everything, just not quite as well as a dedicated tool.

Skaven 5-1-3
WE 2-0
Quatters
Executioner

Post by Quatters »

Currently live in Sydney, Australia, but I did spend the last two years in London.

USA
While there seems to be alot of crime reported, I personally have never been a victim of crime, even though I lived at the most dangerous tube station in London (Walthamstow)
(Residents of London only): Does the fear of crime affect your daily life? (Avoiding certain areas, carrying protection, walking in groups)
Not hugely. I always keep my eyes open and stay aware of my surroundings, but this is wherever I go.
NA. I've never been to New York so I can't really judge.
(Residents of New York only): Does the fear of crime affect your daily life? (Avoiding certain areas, carrying protection, walking in groups)

I've only really heard of the crime in New York, but never really been there which gives you a better idea of what it's really like. For example, Naples is supposed to be an incredibly dangerous place, yet I spent almost two months there and never saw a single thing. I guess I would be slightly more afraid in New York but I wouldn't allow it to affect me.
MOTHERBOY!!!!!!!!!!
Crazyhorse
Highborn

Post by Crazyhorse »

Well since I have family in NY I think I can have an opinon. While I have never gone to the "bad" parts of NY I can tell you I felt pretty safe in NY. The biggest negitive I have ever scene/heard about came from hollywood(we all know that is full of cr*p. I don't know much about England but I would have to say NY has more crime. hope this helps.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted then used against you.
Slerac fellblade
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Slerac fellblade »

I am from NYC and I will say if you compare our crime rates to London we probably have a higher crime rate especially in violent crimes involving firearms. Honestly Guiliani and Bloomberg as much as I hate Bloomberg really they did alot so that NY would be safer. I imagine the only thing that ups the crime rate in London is a soccer riot or as the Europeans would call it football.
Ian: We are trying to help as many starving children as possible
Me: Wait a day and there will be less of them
Gnosis
Hard, but Fair

Re: Please help - Questions on crime for US & UK residen

Post by Gnosis »

Proportionally speaking, the UK.

Probably, in the suburban areas of London. Don't quite know, haven't been there since I was a kid.

Manhattan itself is very safe, but again the suburban areas are worse.

London.
Count them:

Painted in 2013: 500
Painted in 2014: 600
Painted in 2015: 854
Madlarks
Executioner

Post by Madlarks »

Thanks for the edit Rork and thanks for everybody who has responded please keep responding. I wont put up any of my research just yet, trying to maintain a small amount of scientific approach.
Venkh wrote:Overall, DE are a kind of swiss army knife of an army. We can do everything, just not quite as well as a dedicated tool.

Skaven 5-1-3
WE 2-0
Loki
Brolock
Brolock

Re: Please help - Questions on crime for US & UK residen

Post by Loki »

madlarks wrote:
Probably England if you are going by percentages and not by simple numbers.
Probably as much as any other large city, in short, yes.

Yes I do, but New York is probably one of the safest big cities in the US

London, just because I've never been there before and wouldn't know what to expect.

EDIT: Sorry, I live in Pennsylvania, US. A nice rural area.
+++ Team Mulligans +++

FAQ
Malekith's psychologist
Beastmaster
Location: can't u feel my breath on the back of ur neck?maybe the cold steel on ur throat gives u a clue

Post by Malekith's psychologist »

US, although Britain (remember england is a part of Britain, unless you're comparing NY state with england, then england would have more crime), is close proportionally IMO

Not a BIG factor, as most cities it has it's "red zones", but having 1 CCTV for each 4 Londoners should make it a relatively safe city

I live in Manchester (in Spain ATM)

It seems it used to be so, i presume it's lower now, but still high compared to most european cities (being easier to buy guns there than in europe)

Well i can't judge coz i've never been to NY, but i presume that i'd be a bit more aware in NY if i ever go there
DiscipleOfKhaine said:
Im not saying that makes them unworthy of a model, Im just saying...that Malekith is the greatest elven king in the history of the world and I will never concede otherwise.
Amarel
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Amarel »

I used to go out in London quite a lot so...

As a percentage or a flat number? Flat number is definitely USA and percentage probably is, but this is skewed by the higher amount of violent crime in the US (as this is generally more commented on, and thus remembered).

Petty crime, perhaps. What exactly do you mean by 'big factor'?

Certainly when I went out in London I felt less safe than I did in my home town, but I never thought to carry 'protection' - I just kept my head down and walked quickly.

New York - more violent crime.
Still Serving Slaanesh
Owner of one too many armies...
Marauder mitch2
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Marauder mitch2 »

As I have been living in London for 4 years i feel i can make a comment.

I think US have more crime over GB because of the prevelance of firearms which means gun crime is a lot more likely.

Crime is not a big factor in London. Some places in London you are more likely to experience it but after living here you tend to know where to go and when to go. I used to live in Haringey one of the poorest boroughs but now i live in Finchley/Barnet and there is a big difference.

Fear of crime does not affect my daily life but when the gangs of school kids are out is when most the problems occur.

I have never been to New York so i am afraid to comment.

cheers rob
DJ Dizzy Posted: Jul 1 2009, 08:13 PM

Horror

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,989

My daemon record is 2 wins and 12 losses... Yep, I suck at warhammer
The_everchosen
Beastmaster
Location: Trying to think of something witty to put in this box

Post by The_everchosen »

England

Yes

Yes

New York (without spiderman!) ;)

Hope that helps
History will be kind to me for I intend to write it - Winston Churchill
Madlarks
Executioner

Post by Madlarks »

Thanks for all the replies and dont be afraid to comment if you havent been there. Also the questions arent just for those in New York or London. Peoples perceptions of those places are just as important as those who live there.

Skaven 5-1-3
WE 2-0
Viper
Highborn

Post by Viper »

I would say that per capita small town USA has more crime.
Let us say populations of 25k or less. You would be surprised how many small towns are major Meth production areas.
-Omaha, Nebraska,. USA
Good, bad, I am the guy with the reapter bolt thrower.
Angelofdarkness
Dark Rider

Post by Angelofdarkness »

US from what i can see on the media the US seems to have significantly more violent crime

Petty crime yes but there is much more violent or organised crime in other areas of the country.

No not realy no more infact than anywhere else in the country some areas are worse like Peterborough which is a horrible place. As for protection most "protective" things are in fact illegal and could lead to a prison sentance so unless you mean protection in the form of a packet of condoms in which case it is encouraged.
new york by miles
Monsterofthedeep
Dark Rider

Post by Monsterofthedeep »

Well i live in the south of England and im like an hours drive away from London.
There is a hell of a lot of petty crime here,and recently there was an outburst of stabbings in London related to gang warfare. some ignorant idiots playing G unit got out of hand.

yes,from what i hear there are more shootings(maybe if they would stop selling guns in America...)

America,because im more likely to get shot in the US
not meant as an offensive comment to Americans, but if it werent for an ignorant few and their 'gun lobby' then there would be many innocents stil alive, take virgina last week....
Madlarks
Executioner

Post by Madlarks »

Thank you all for all the information. I think I have enough feed back I can share some of my findings with you guys. astonishingly enough London has more crime than New York. By miles in fact. I'm not sure what you guys consider petty crimes so I'm going to guess burglary. 103,694 accounts of that in London as opposed to New York City's 22,950. For Robbery (stealing with the use of a weapon or threat of force) NYC numbers barrly changed and London was still twice the amount with 44k+. Murder is what people guessed. NYC has more, but only 400 more. (600 in NYC 200 IN london) There were 900 more cases of rape in London (also only one in every 19 of those arrested will actually be convicted of rape in London) Assault is the most astonishing. London has 200,000 cases of assault with NYC 14,000. Figuring that one out of every ten assaults is actually reported to NYC that still leaves London pretty far ahead of them. London (and England as a whole) is increasing in crime the last decade where NYC and US have been decreasing.

I'm being biased either. My original theory was that the US has more crime but with the numbers the way they are there was no way I could argue that point. Why would two cities who are pretty similar have two drastically different amounts of crime: Guns and Fear.

Maybe because criminals know that everybody in american owns a gun that they have to choose people very carefully. As you guys said most forms of protection (excluding trojan) are illegal. Since most criminals do not follow the law anyways and carrying illegal weaponry, where does that leave the law abidding people?

Thanks for all the help!!

Skaven 5-1-3
WE 2-0
Amarel
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Amarel »

I find those stats to be really, almost unbelievable Madlarks, do you have a source? Mind you, you are comparing the busiest, most over-crowded city in Britain with one of several far less packed cities in America, so perhaps we're actually seeing stats that reflect that. Also, how are you working out actual crime figures vs. reported crime figures? Have you statistics on the percentage of crimes that go unreported in each city?

I do know that gun-related deaths (not crimes, just deaths) in the USA (which has roughly four times the population of the UK) was recorded at 29,000 last year while in the UK it was just 100. That's a massive difference.
Still Serving Slaanesh
Owner of one too many armies...
Madlarks
Executioner

Post by Madlarks »

Those numbers about gun deaths sound fairly accurate to me. I was just as surprised as you were to find the statistics and all the numbers out. Believe me my life would have been easier had it been so.

http://www.met.police.uk/crimefigures/

http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/html/pct/cspdf.html

I believe those two sites where the places I got my information from.

I'm not trying to figure out actual vs reported crime. Thats the governments job. I merely said that even if guess the rates at being one reported for nine not.

Skaven 5-1-3
WE 2-0
Xzanth
Trainee Warrior

Post by Xzanth »

US

sometimes

Yes

New York
Loki
Brolock
Brolock

Post by Loki »

Madlarks: Are those the rates (Crimes per 100,000) or just the raw numbers? Because that would make a large difference. NYC has a larger population by almost 1 million and more than double the population density. Also, NYC is one of (if not the most) the safest large cities in the US. Im sure if you compared the numbers to a place like Washington D.C. or Los Angeles, you would find quite different results.
+++ Team Mulligans +++

FAQ
Gooner
Corsair

Post by Gooner »

I currently live in rural Staffordshire,England, but up till recently lived in one of the most crime ridden districts of London, Camberwell. The experiences may have prejudiced my views somewhat, but I am not at all surprised by these figures. Within a year of moving to the area 6 out of the ten people I lived with had been mugged at knife point. You couldn't go out in anything less than groups of three, and even then you weren't safe.
Madlarks
Executioner

Post by Madlarks »

They are not based on per 1,000 or something. Those are flat numbers. Yes I'm quite sure that Los Angles would be alot different but most people dont know that NYC is so safe, neither did I. If you look at the results from ten years ago NYC was right up there with London on crime but has drastically dropped.

Skaven 5-1-3
WE 2-0
Rasputinii
M-A-D

Post by Rasputinii »

I'm a Londoner. Lived here all my life...

I would hate to guess. Proportionally its probably similar. I guess the UK has more crime, because the USA has more people in Prison not committing crimes. Ha ha. I don't know in short.

Yes and no. There is a great deal of crime in the city, but London is a vast city and any two peoples experiences of it are going to be vastly different

(Residents of London only): Does the fear of crime affect your daily life?
Ummm. I wouln't put it quite that way, but yes. I am aware of what the dangers are in my city and in my area and I am aware how to minimise them. Its born out of advertising, logical thinking and multiple experiences as a victim as a kid. As a secondary school child it did effect me greatly. But being specific its not crime per sae, but street robbery / mugging and yobbish behaviour. Now I'm older I wouldn't say I was fearful, but I am aware, all the time. I guess it has just become me and my routine rather than it being a conscious act to be warey. I assume in much the same way that people brought up on a farm just know not to go hitting bull's with cricket bats or what have you.

Going on what I have heard no. The zero tollerance crackdown coupled with a repressive and conservative set fo laws and legal thingiemagigs Crime was massively reduced in the City (at what cost though?). It wouldn't surprise me if currently NYs crime rate is half that of the UK or summit. 10 years ago I reckon NY probably had more. But then one might want to throw in the whole thing of NYs fall from grace and Londons Growth with respect to culture.

NY, because its not my city, and although I can assume things are fairly similar the dangers are different and I wouldn't be familar with what to look out for in quite the same way. But I wouldn't be fearful of that, all those lifts on the other hand. Now that is scary.

Hope that helps.
Pleased to be back