Where we get our names

Got something to talk about? Be it video games, other tabletop or card games, even random stuff - this is the place to post!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Crazyhorse
Highborn

Post by Crazyhorse »

I have always admired great warriors so I just choose one person from my list of people. If for some reason you want a short overview:
http://www.pbs.org/weta/thewest/people/ ... yhorse.htm
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted then used against you.
Belial
Modest Member

Post by Belial »

Eh. I think the name Belial rolls off nicely on the tongue. It sounds kind of demonic, which is why I chose back in the days. It actually was a name I came up with for use on d.net, though at that time it was Lord_Belial. Coincidentally, I had also just taken to listening to metal, and two weeks or so after, I found out that there was a band called just that. Originally, I got the name from the first Diablo game, where he is mentioned as the lord of lies in hell, one of the lesser evils who threw out Diablo and his brothers. Since then I too found that titles, even the short(and very fitting) "Lord", so I got rid of it, only to find that there was already a user called Belial, who wasn't using his account though, so I couldn't use that. I added a dot to the end, and problem solved. Though I'd like to be able to remove the dot some day...
Lordofthenight
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Lordofthenight »

Oh, so that's why the dots there. I always wondered.

I use the username for everything. If I can. That of Lordy, which is one of the nicknames generated for me from my name.

I can't remember why I started with it though, so I'm afraid I couldn't say.
Punishment leads to Fear. Fear leads to Obedience. Obedience leads to Freedom. Therefore, Punishment leads to Freedom.

Kuyoz Nightkiller
WS: 4 S:3 T:3 D:4 I:4
Repeater Crossbow, Short Sword, Shade Cloak, Light Armour
5 throwing daggers, 90gc
Ilokir lúinwë
Asur Bane

Post by Ilokir lúinwë »

That's a coincidence Belial... I choose my name from another god of lies.. Loki

In the elven languages of Tolkien, Ilokir means 'swift as a snake'

'Luin' means Blue.. Do I have to say Ilokir is a forsaken Asur? Like all Druchii are in a sense ;)
Class: Warrior
Ws: 6 dex: 4 str: 4 T: 3 Int: 4
Skills: Awareness, Defensive fighting, Parry
Equipment: Medium armor, Longsword, 2 Throwing daggers, 50 gold coins

Don't forgive, don't forget
Holt
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Holt »

One of Rob Zombie was called the Devils Rejects.

Awsome movie so I just adapted it a little and got my name.
Want some tips on controlling those frenzied units? http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=71791&highlight=
Nagathi
The Exiled One

Post by Nagathi »

My favourite character in the Dark Elf book is and has always been Morathi. I like her name too. So a simple addition of the Drukh Eltharinn word for "cold/chill" ("Nag(g)") and "Morathi" ends up in "Nagathi".
Pretty neat, pretty unique (google it and you'll find me and some Indian sex-advisor).

~ Nag
Kefka
Malekith's Best Friend
Location: That's for you to know and me to find out! Do I get a hint?

Post by Kefka »

This is my nickname I got from my friends. We were mountain biking one day, decided to race down the hill. Everyone started passing me, getting annoyed I jumped off my bike to kick my friend(we're violent at times) and ended up landing on his bike.
Granted I wasn't expecting to do that so I crashed seconds later, but theats how I got my nickname.

Fiat Obsidian - WS5 / S5 / T4 / D5 / I4
Equipment: Halberd, Zukhil Shield, Bastard Sword, Heavy Armour, Seadragon Cloak, Helmet of Slaanesh, Blackthorn Dagger
Mount: Locke (dark steed)
Gold: 488
Skills: Supernatural Awareness, Defensive Fighting, Intimidate, Drukh Kaganth (1)
Class: Warrior
Camaris
Black Guard

Post by Camaris »

Camaris is an honorable, stereotypical knight in the Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn series that kicks some serious butt. I'm not sure why I picked that in a druchii forum.
Drainial
Prophet of Tzeentch
Prophet of Tzeentch

Post by Drainial »

When I started collecting dark elves I had to come up with a name for my general, I was about 12 at the time and so came up with Shadowheart as a fairly unimaginative house name, Drainial just sounded the best of all the options I could think of. When I started out on Druchii net I desided that for simplicities sake I may as well keep the name.
Moding a group of Druchii.net players is much like directing the musical 'Cats' using actual cats. Frustrating, difficult, chaotic but ultimatley satisfying and a great deal of fun.

Arch Deacon of the RPG forum
Gentleman of Moderation
Artein
Highborn

Post by Artein »

It was a mix of Artemis Enteri and Zaknafein/Soulafein from times when I was into Forgotten Realms, Drows, R.A.Salvarote etc.
Bloodyangel
Black Guard

Post by Bloodyangel »

I choose the name Bloody Angel, mostly because I like the symbolism of it. I picture a black-winged, beautiful female angel, with her hands spread wide... covered in blood flowing from her eyes, and from various wounds across her otherwise alabaster-flesh. Her attire would be old-style gothic... though torn and tattered. In the back, maybe a full moon, or a thunderstorm... maybe some kind of shattered ruin of some sort. I was thinking of getting a tattoo of it across my back.

Now that my morbid foray is over... I choose the name for my general Illiiya, because she is an angelically beautiful druchii woman of fine features and flawless grace... but she is also cruel, remorseless, and full of the bloodlust and fury of Khaine that all true Druchii possess. Thus, she is a bloody image of Khaine's fury. Beautiful and terrifying at the same time.

Or, I could just be a crazy goth freak.
Anyone looking for awesome art, here's the girl to see... her stuff is amazing!

http://www.angelfire.com/rebellion/fuju ... index.html
Mr. anderson
Dark Illusionist

Post by Mr. anderson »

hehe. mine is pretty straightforward:

i love the matrix movies (except the last one because its focusing too much on action - second one is DA BEST!!!), i wanted an avatar that looks cool (found one) and my surname is Andersson. i figured that Andersson doesn´t look very good and Anderson was what i came up with after a second of thinking.

HUZZAH!
When I think of something witty, I shall put it here.
Draknir
Dark Artist

Post by Draknir »

Draknir Reaverblade; Just something I made up. All started when I began to think of the name of my general. The name Draknir went through countless generations in my head. I can't even remember what was the first version- all I can remember that I first planned to name my general Moloch, but I came to the conclusion that it was too common and not Elven enough. i began twisting the name around the syllable Drak that I thought to be interesting at that time, and tried to add it fitting additions. I concluded it to Draknir. yes. only then the family name- I began the same painful twisting, and came up with Helgar- which I happily used as something extraordinary until I read a White Dwarf with a model of a female Dwarf called Helgar. Female dwarf... brr. I changed it to an epiphet, with a very common ending, -blade. I made a couple of searches through the D.net, and I came to the conclusion that I was the only to call himself Reaverblade.

EDIT: on the other hand, by googling Draknir I find tens of pages matching my nick. *sigh* maybe one day I can come up with something extraordinary...
Last edited by Draknir on Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Angelique
Executioner

Post by Angelique »

This name has been with me for a long time. I got it when I was born, and it has stuck on me ever since :P. I use it in many forums I participate in, and personalise it through customising the title or my signature.
Skazna
Corsair

Post by Skazna »

First night I got absolutely drunk, and it was given to me as one of the random names from the Discworld MUD, and some how it stuck in my mind and I used it a lot, then people knew it so it stuck.
Sacrificing minions: is there any problem it can't solve? -Xykon
Lordsaradain
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lordsaradain »

Page 64 of the Dark Elf army book.
Click here to find out how to convert cooler and cheaper models!
(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < ) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination!
Lextalionis
Beastmaster

Post by Lextalionis »

Hmmm. Well I know I found mine in a biographical dictionary. But I'm not sure that I remember it's origin. I think it was a roman term which meant roughly general of the emperor. But that was a long time ago so I could be wrong.

A quick check of an etymological dictionary did not help.
Lextalionis
Shade
WS:5 S:2 T:4 D:5 I:3
Basic Stealth. Stealth. Precision Shot. Rapid Fire. Acrobatics
Equipped; Short Sword, 2xDagger, Repeater Crossbow, Repeater Crossbow Pistol, Shade Cloak

225 G
Ranieth
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Ranieth »

Ranieth is something I made up back when I joined druchii.net I am quite sure. Familyname Bloodheart, I read a story about a dark elven guy in a WD around albion-times called Blackheart I think, and decided to go with Bloodheart, reasoning that it was quite similar and as such quite druchii, but even cooler :)

Which is also my general's name, of course.
Jormungand
Trainee Warrior

Post by Jormungand »

well, my name just comes from a pretty large snake or something but i thought it was written "Jörmungand" but i didn't know how to type those points so i made it "Jormungand" ...lol
Aut vincere aut mori... and I mean it!
Nightblade183
Assassin

Post by Nightblade183 »

I chose Nightblade as it is similar to Shadowblade the Master of Assassins and the assassin was my favorite part about dark elf fluff. Even though they are iffy in the game when I take an assassin he is always the newest up and coming assassin striving to be like shadowblade.
...__i___
...))))) r
.\OOOOO/
~~~~~~~~~
We can't possibly be the only people on this forum who love plundering and pillaging can we? Come join the Brotherhood of The Coast, and raid til your heart's content.

Beeing ilitterit makes dis forem stewpid

8th Edition Game Tally
W/L/D
2/1/1
Hidaus morbusa
Executioner

Post by Hidaus morbusa »

I usually call myself "Jones" places like this, (My first name is Jonas), but it was taken already i think.

Anyway; Hidaus Morbusa is my general's name. He has a long fluffy list of sisters and brothers and a just as fluffy CV, which I shall bore you no longer with...
Lord malek
Beastmaster

Post by Lord malek »

Well I was steveb which is just my name Stephen Bridges.

But now I am Lord Malek my Druchii warhammer general.
(I fancied the change) Oh and Malek because I always liked the name Malek since I herd it in the game blood omen many moons ago...
Sa'an'ishar
The buoyancy of water
Highborn

Post by The buoyancy of water »

Years ago when I first joined the site I became a mod of the RPG section under the name Skitterslick (Skaven general). The mods were chatting away in the mod forum and someone asked if they could call me Skit or Skitters for short. I replied with "Whatever floats your boat." One of the other mods then (wrongly ;)) claimed that the buoyancy of water floated his boat and I thought it had a good ring to it and that's where the name came from. It is of course the buoyancy of the boat that keeps it afloat, but nevermind...

I came back to the site site after a year or two out and couldn't remember my password so I was tBoW for a bit. Then I managed to get my password reset and my post count was reset for some reason... Grr!

Cheers,
Dave

P.S. Of course, by "mod forum" I mean a different place altogether where the mods go (lets call it "Mod Speaking Network"). There are no mod forums on druchii.net...
There certainly isn't! -Belial
Lenya Talos

WS: 4
S: 3
T: 2
D: 4
I: 5

Equipment: Short Sword, Repeater Crossbow, Shade Cloak, Small Brass Ring. 5 Gold

Skills: Basic Stealth.
Lyhne
The Dane

Post by Lyhne »

'tis my middle name. Nobody (save my family) has used my fristname for the last 11 years (and I am 16), so it is just as normal for me as my first name. Actually more, since I respond better to "Lyhne" than to "Morten" (which is my first name)

-Lyhne
+++Team Mulligans +++
Rorkie wrote:
Rork edit: Caps hurt my eyes. Don't hurt my eyes. If you do, I will hurt your soul.
Tich
Highborn

Post by Tich »

@ lord Malek- thats strange I always thought you got your name from Lord Malek on star wars KOTOR.
"I have this magic sword, it kills people when you stick it in them"