Diablo III

Got something to talk about? Be it video games, other tabletop or card games, even random stuff - this is the place to post!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Artein
Highborn

Diablo III

Post by Artein »

Guys (and gals), you should check this out
http://www.blizzard.com/diablo3/
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Metallic malekith
Executioner

Post by Metallic malekith »

:o awesome!

even screenshots etc.!

reminds me of good old times.
Facing the sun as they went to their grave
Burn like a dog or you live like a slave
Death is the price for your soul's liberty
To stand with the cathars and to die and be free
Moonblade
Cold One Knight

Post by Moonblade »

Yes-yes. I was already contacted by the half of my friends/colleagues who informed me of this happening ;) You know especially when you work in the game industry it's hard not to pay attention whenever Blizzard announce something. Diablo 2 was probably one of the best experiences I've ever had and so I barely manage to stay in one place from anticipation and eagerness to play the D3.
Game Designer. At last. Period.
Daicon
Corsair

Post by Daicon »

Oh boy, I think I just had a nerdgasm. I absolutely cannot wait for D3, the Diablo series has been my favorite gaming titles for as long as they've been on the market.
Mordru
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Mordru »

Gotta get lots of painting done before that hits the shelves.
To strive, to persevere, to conquer.
Artein
Highborn

Post by Artein »

The Witch Doctor looks cool, I like him. He reminds me of voodoo trolls from Warcraft
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Since Blizzard gave us World of Crapcraft and as such ruined amazing MMO market with their "creation" I'm very sceptic about them.
Will wait and see.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Cenyu
Khaindar

Post by Cenyu »

Woo-ha! :D

Diablo 3, Starcraft 2, what more could I want?
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Actual good and innovative game? :P

Not to be a spoilsport as I didn't dig into Starcraft 2 deep enough yet, but it seems like more flashy and prettier Starcraft with huge system spec.

Blizzard is good at making games, but they are crap at creating something new.
7th edition army book:

Mordru
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Mordru »

I make no claim to number among the illuminati of PC gaming but I quite enjoyed Diablo and Diablo II/Expansion and I expect to relish Diablo III.
To strive, to persevere, to conquer.
Coldeyes
Corsair

Post by Coldeyes »

wow checked it out and imo Diablo 3 blows Starcraft 2 and WotLK out of the water! two very cool classes wish they had more! and i liked the demo video they sent out too very nice.

didnt anyone else think that the barbarians abilities are exactly like the tauren chieftain and blademaster from WCIII?
Blood and souls for Khaine!
Artein
Highborn

Post by Artein »

Well, most of them are from Diablo 2
Discipleofkhaine
Noble

Post by Discipleofkhaine »

Dalamar wrote:Since Blizzard gave us World of Crapcraft and as such ruined amazing MMO market with their "creation" I'm very sceptic about them.
Will wait and see.

Perhaps they are realizing that long time Blizzard game players, the ones like most of us here who grew up with the classics like Starcraft and Diablo 2, are losing faith with them as they continue to pour money into WoW. I am sure that they are merely trying to rope us back in with the release of these sequels.

And I must say that with two powerhouses like SC2 and Diablo 3 up their sleeves, its going to be pretty difficult for me to resist their temptations. :D
Artein
Highborn

Post by Artein »

am I the only one who'd like to see Warcraft 4?
I want to continue the story of Azeroth, but not in the crappy WoW-way....
Thanee
Rending Star
Rending Star

Post by Thanee »

Dalamar wrote:Actual good and innovative game? :P

Nah, innovative is nice, but eventually irrelevant.

Good and long-term motivating. That's most important. I definitely prefer a game, that provides me with countless hours of fun over a game, that's woah cool for a few hours and then boring.

And that's exactly what Blizzard does. They don't do innovation (not really), but they make brilliant games, which you can play over and over and over again. :D

And you can say about WoW what you want, but 10 Million accounts clearly say this is the best MMO on the market. I was bored by it after a few months already, but that doesn't make it a bad game. And Blizzard does many things right (esp. high-level content), that other MMO-companies still do wrong these days. I just wasn't for me, as I'm not a Raid-player.

D3 looks promising, definitely on the must-buy list (although I found D2 a bit lacking... especially that there were no tactics involved... just big numbers (damage, protection, etc); monsters were more dangerous only because they did more damage; D1 did that better IMHO; D3 might be a step into that direction again), as is SC2, of course, can't wait for that one. :D

Bye
Thanee
Undeadcatd
Noble

Post by Undeadcatd »

I dont know..kind of disappointment..so many years and still 2D
Hellgate crap , but it has something new in it..just badly executed
But Diablo3 , Starcraft2 just seemd so "old school"..

(I will buy it however :oops: )
Thanee
Rending Star
Rending Star

Post by Thanee »

I'm totally glad they didn't mess with the general game layout... esp. that they didn't go the same direction as they went with WarCraft with SC2.

It's still the way it was (just more modern) and thus the way everyone loved it! :D

Bye
Thanee
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Artein wrote:am I the only one who'd like to see Warcraft 4?

Nope not the only one, I enjoy RTSes but there are far too little Fantasy based RTSes (finished Mark of Chaos Battle March recently so I need next one :P)

Thanee wrote:Nah, innovative is nice, but eventually irrelevant.

Good and long-term motivating. That's most important. I definitely prefer a game, that provides me with countless hours of fun over a game, that's woah cool for a few hours and then boring.

No one said innovative means boring after few hours though. Melee system in AoC is one of those innovative things that keep you stuck in.

Thanee wrote:And that's exactly what Blizzard does. They don't do innovation (not really), but they make brilliant games, which you can play over and over and over again. :D

They make good playable games. But they don't try to pioneer the market, they play it safe and push out more of the same, since it worked before. That's far from brilliant IMO

Thanee wrote:And you can say about WoW what you want, but 10 Million accounts clearly say this is the best MMO on the market. I was bored by it after a few months already, but that doesn't make it a bad game. And Blizzard does many things right (esp. high-level content), that other MMO-companies still do wrong these days. I just wasn't for me, as I'm not a Raid-player.

I had this discussion with someone else somewhere else... Numbers mean crap. Lineage 2 has 17million players worldwide so it beats WoW by a far margin but isn't as popular because it caters mostly to the huge asian MMO market.
WoW on the other hand is your fast food of MMOs. Easy and addictive. Doesn't make it good at all, unless you believe fast food is good, healthy change from home cooked nice food ;).
High level content in WoW is the worst, most dull and most pointless content I have ever played in an MMO. sadly games coming out after it copy it because it's easy to do and easy to sell (and then people quit, but hey, they already left us their money!)

Thanee wrote:D3 looks promising, definitely on the must-buy list (although I found D2 a bit lacking... especially that there were no tactics involved... just big numbers (damage, protection, etc); monsters were more dangerous only because they did more damage; D1 did that better IMHO; D3 might be a step into that direction again), as is SC2, of course, can't wait for that one. :D

Diablo III right now is like AoC was to me before release. Oh, cool another game that might be fun but no real reason to hype about it. It might turn out like AoC did for me, #2 MMO on my private list (#1 is pre-Trammel Ultima Online, but no one makes games like that anymore so I guess it will stay there forever :P), I'll wait and see, no rush. As for Starcraft 2... I'm more interested in Dawn of War 2 to be honest, innovative and fun instead of the same dish reheated in shiny new microwave.
Arquinsiel
Shadowdancer

Post by Arquinsiel »

UndeadcatD wrote:I dont know..kind of disappointment..so many years and still 2D
Hellgate crap , but it has something new in it..just badly executed
But Diablo3 , Starcraft2 just seemd so "old school"..

(I will buy it however :oops: )
Did you watch the same video that I did? It's clearly 3d in both graphics and effect.....

I've been looking for an old-school dungeon crawl for a while now, hope this can fill that void.
ImageImageImageImage
faerthurir wrote:Arq kicked me in the gyros.
Khel
Angel of Darkness

Post by Khel »

Hmm... Diablo is pretty much all farming and boss fights. But it's still awesome-super-tastic! I've been waiting for this game for so long!!! /Squeal

EDIT: Oh, and I find that Blizzard are excellent at creating run on/sequel games (such as Starcraft Online and Diablo 3 for example) but they are horrible at creating new games. Anyone else see it my way?
Saldrimek Xenan - WS6 / S4 / T3 / D5 / I3

Equipment: Executioners Axe (Rune of Beastslaying - Heroic Killing Blow), 2 Scimitars (Rune of Speed - Always Strike First), Dagger, Rune Branded Leather Armour, Executioner Helm, Fine Set of Throwing Knives (x4)
Inventory: Amulet of Darkness, Poison Vials x7, Deadly Poison Vials x8
Mount: Dark Steed
Gold: 163
Skills: Ambidexterity, Frenzy, Two Weapon Fighting, Ride
Class: Khainite
Rork
Lord of Khorne
Lord of Khorne

Post by Rork »

Khel wrote:EDIT: Oh, and I find that Blizzard are excellent at creating run on/sequel games (such as Starcraft Online and Diablo 3 for example) but they are horrible at creating new games. Anyone else see it my way?

When some of us were talking about this in the chat a while back I made much the same comment.

At least Blizzard's way we get to see more than a snapshot of the setting - Starcraft in particular gave us a vast background to process in terms of its setting and its characters (Kerrigan, Raynor and such).

Given the rarity of Blizzard releases, sequels work for them. They've set the standard for MMORPGs and (small-scale) RTS's and that works for them in the long run, particularly when a sequel arrives around a decade later. How many other games are played consistently for a decade? How many can you actually remember from 1998? (The closest in terms of games that 'Wowed' is Total Annihilation from 1997 from my point of view)

"Rork.. a wonderful guy :)" - Linda Lobsta Defenda

+++ Team Mulligans +++
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Rork wrote:They've set the standard for MMORPGs

And many MMORPGers who used to enjoy them *before* WoW came out pretty much despise Blizzard for dumbing down one of the best game genres... Hopefully Darkfall will bring back some of the awesomeness of the MMORPG - The free open world!
Trox
Slave on the Altar

Post by Trox »

I am so stoked for this. I had to find my old Diablo II discs just so I could play it again. :)
Moonblade
Cold One Knight

Post by Moonblade »

Sadly, Darkfall has pretty much failed already. They do had some awesome ideas however and I'm a big fan of open world/player-driven economics/sandbox gameplay/open PvP/full loot...etc myself :) Btw, you Dalamar may come to like the Earthrise game that is built on the same basis as Darkfall. It is still in development but you can check it out for yourself - http://play-earthrise.com

Back on topic. Ehh... Blizzard. They are especially talented at "extracting" what's really fun in a game. They probably do the best polished games ever. They just remove all the parts that aren't simply cool from the beginning. And they have careful planing in the long tern. And a bit lucky however ;) But that's life. You all probably know that warcraft started as a warhammer fantasy game but due to license disagreements Blizzard broke the agreement and separated from the whole franchise and created their "own" universe. However they did a great job apparently, exactly because they managed to recognize and apply only the best, most terrific and entertaining aspects of the setting.

The statement that Blizzard are only good for sequels and polishing and can't really do anything new sounds rather silly to me. First of all you can't say that Blizzard aren't capable of doing anything new just because they haven't tried so far. I'm sure that when Blizzard announce their new project (that is rumored to be set in entirely different universe) I'll be proven right. Besides, every single time so far when Blizzard attempted to include something "different" the faced an angry mob of fanbase that DOES NOT want anything new. Seems that most players prefer things to remain as they are and receive more of "the same".

Note, that I am NOT a fan of Blizzard myself. It always comes down to personal preference and Blizzard games aren't exactly what I want. BUT. As a man that works in the industry I respect them for they're a vivid example of how things are done properly even though they are not so original and innovative at concept. They just manage to put things together in a very pleasant way. I believe it was Thomas Edison who said that a brilliant invention is a result of 5% genius and 95% realization.
Game Designer. At last. Period.
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Earthrise looks Sfi-fi'ish... not my cup of tea and one of the reasons I don't play EvE :(

It's not that blizzard didn't try anything new... just look at their WoW expansions... seriously, someone else does pvp, they implement crap pvp, someone else has flying, they implement flying mounts, someone else does sieges, they have to have it too.

It's simple copying of *everything* out there and applying it in dumbed down, easy for 6yr old kid (my friend's 5yr old son could play her level 70 mage quite reasonably simply by watching her play for a bit) to understand and get hooked on.
7th edition army book: