Beer

Got something to talk about? Be it video games, other tabletop or card games, even random stuff - this is the place to post!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

The_vicar
Beastmaster

Beer

Post by The_vicar »

Just wondering what the beers are like around you're neck of the woods, the local type that is anything special worth having a look for? I live between bath and Oxford and in bath there is a beer called horizon which is awesome its like drinking soilk so smooth and its got a real bautiful colour to it, a dark rich amber colour. There is also a beer called doombar which well is a fruity little number its more ale than anything but its quite nice. In oxford well anything from the wychwood brewery or the hook norton one is quite good a pint of old hooky goes down quite well on a summers afternoon.
Rebmonk
Shade

Post by Rebmonk »

american here and have to promote my two favorite anheuser busch beers:

landshark: its like a corona, but no skunk or aftertaste. a great pizza beer

shock top belgium white: its a wheat heffeweisen beer, and its really good. kind of on the lighter side, but so is my pallate. Goes excellent with any dinner.
Nagathi
The Exiled One

Post by Nagathi »

I am 21 years old, but have been Straight Edge and an absoluteist since before I was allowed to drink.

However, lately I have started to try some beer brands to see if there's something I like. I tried the Spendrups beer. It sucked. I tried a brand called Åbro. It sucked. And right now I'm holding a can of Carlsberg, and I love it.

~ Nag
Nooodle
Corsair

Post by Nooodle »

16 and legally allowed to drink! Holland is awesome on those matters.

I haven't had much tastes yet simply due to my preference to Cola..

But Amstel is quite good and Bavaria sucks at first but it gets better with each sip :lol:
Hainzy
Dark Rider

Post by Hainzy »

Hey guys!!
Down here in the land of OZ I guess the the most popular beers are VB (Victoria Bitter) and another called Carlton Draught.
NoNoDLe is have just recently come back from the Netherlands and I agree that Amstel is quite a nice drop!
Oh and the country side of the Netherlands is just magnificent!
So green and lush especially when compared to Australia in which we are experiencing the worst droughts in a long time!
You can take your vamp lord on zombie dragon, 48 graveguard, blackcoach, 3 wraiths, 2 units of dogs and your 3 units of 10 piddly zombies and shove them up your f&$%ing a$$.....

Worst game of warhammer I've ever played.....

"3/4 of games are won by deathstars. Copy this into your signature if you still use real tactics to win"
Comrade igor
Daemon in Disguise

Post by Comrade igor »

I'm a bit of a big girl's blouse when it comes to beer, i like my cider.

Magners, Bulmers and Kopperberg are my drinks of choice, i also like a turbo shandy (beer + smirnoff ice 50/50) when watching the footy. Every now and again i do like a Carlsberg thought..
Best Regards, Comrade Igor.

Where there's a Whip there's a Way
Arquinsiel
Shadowdancer

Post by Arquinsiel »

Just for the hell of it, you know Magners and Bulmers are the same right?
ImageImageImageImage
faerthurir wrote:Arq kicked me in the gyros.
Slerac fellblade
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Slerac fellblade »

on the domestics Sam Adams and this weird beer made with Sorghum called Bard's Tale Beer

on the foreign beers

Stella Artois, Spatten, Warsteiner and actuallymany others.
Ian: We are trying to help as many starving children as possible
Me: Wait a day and there will be less of them
Dggrj
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Dggrj »

Locally the beers have far too much hops for my taste, so I try to avoid Pacific Northwest beers. My favorites are usually European (gee, I wonder why? Say 500+ years practice with many of them?)
Konig Ludwig, Warsteiner, Paulaner, Guinness, most tripels.
For beers from the new world, though... Abita Purple Haze, if the selection is limited, say at a bar, Red Stripe or a Mexican beer (but not Corona and not Negro Modelo), Fat Tire's Abbey...
Can't remember more right now. Conveniently, I'll blame last night's drinking ;)
Cheers!
Linda Lobsta Defenda wrote:dggrj is correct
Woot! If it's only ever said once, I couldn't ask for a better person to say it.
Loki
Brolock
Brolock

Post by Loki »

I feel bad for all of you, simply because you don't get to try any Yuengling. Also, Harrisburg is a pretty good center for microbrews, there are just so many different ones that they outnumber the big names when I go to the distributor,
+++ Team Mulligans +++

FAQ
The_vicar
Beastmaster

Post by The_vicar »

Cool i love the variety of beer you can get from the micros to the big breweries and the different countries where you can buy it. Personally i find lager good for the 1-2 pints on a hot summers day in the beer garden and ale and bitter for well the rest of the time. Is there just lager or do you get proper sticks and twigs beer in your local?!
Stand and deliver sir!, lest I cleft your head in twain....
Mr_piechee
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Mr_piechee »

Recently i've been drinking lost of ale. you can't beat a homely feeling pub a a good pint of ale! London pride and hobgoblin are two favs.

As for the south of England as a whole we suck for beer! large supermarkets often sell some good stuff, but its really hard to find a good pub these days! A guy from uni was telling be of some pubs back home where they would have 20-30 different drinks on tap! awesome stuff, i'm lucky to see 10!
[hope you don't mind my random babel] ~ Take a look to the sky just before you die, its the last time you will ~ my pics
Amarel
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Amarel »

Hey, Southampton might be lacking, but not all of the South of England ;). There's plenty of great watering holes in smaller places, it's just that a lot of city centres tend to cater to the younger market which means flat lager, bottled cider and alco-pops.

On the subjec tof beer - Doombar is very good, as is TEA from the Hogsback Brewery (nr Guildford) and Summer Lightning. Although I'm not adverse to giving anything a quick taste :D.
Still Serving Slaanesh
Owner of one too many armies...
Lord temnir
Executioner

Post by Lord temnir »

My favourites are the true Budweiser Budwar (from the Czech Republic ;) ), Samson (cheap but good) and for some reason i don't really know myself Zipfer and Passauer Stadtbräu.

Just sad that I have a light allergy to some components of beer :(
Victory is messured by the blood spilled.
Loki
Brolock
Brolock

Post by Loki »

Something that you Americans might want to try is Rogue's Dead Guy Ale. Rogue is a brewery out of Oregon, I believe, and I'm not sure how far out of the states it goes. Its a pretty good all around beer, for whatever you're eating. I highly recommend it.
+++ Team Mulligans +++

FAQ
The_vicar
Beastmaster

Post by The_vicar »

As much as i love going on the raz i do find that beer after about 6 pints thers no going back its a case of how bad will i be in the morning, 'm not a massive or heavy drinker wold never want to be but its good to test your liver and gut..lol I do enjoy what mt piechee described, a nice old pub, roaring fire, a winters night with good company nothing finer ...joy...
Stand and deliver sir!, lest I cleft your head in twain....