Last 40k army...need your help :D

Got something to talk about? Be it video games, other tabletop or card games, even random stuff - this is the place to post!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Which army should I collect as my last army?

Imperial Guard (Cadians)
No votes
Orks (Speed Freaks)
No votes

Total votes: 0

Asmodeus
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Asmodeus »

Necrons:

1- the models look cool
2- they are pretty fluffy, and the entire book has a nice, dark technology feel to it, which I think is very cool
3- Everyone has a space marine army- don't be a statistic
4- They play a lot different then Dark Elves, so you can practice a completely different style of tactics.
5- There's nothing better then seeing the look on your opponents face the first time he plays against a Necron army, and sees the Monolith :twisted:
Witch Elves still suck ;).
Pmonti
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Pmonti »

Well I can give you some reasons of why no pick up Space Marines, for the others I prefer Dark Eldar or Eldar (but i'm too lazy to give you more reasons :mrgreen: )

WHY NOT TO CHOOSE Space Marines (or any other flavour of the sort (Chaos included, because they are the same) )

1 - Almost every one has space marines, so you will end up fighting against yourself lots of times.
2 - All models look the same, so from you general till your last trooper you will have a lot of (probably blue) tin cans.
3 - Every non Space Marine knows how to very easily destroy them (specially eldars, and dark eldars (my two armies) ).
4 - Lack of tactis. If you like tactics it will be way easier with other armies (eldar or dark eldar for instance xD)
5 - If you are used to druchii you will find them very slow. If you like speed dark eldar are your guys.
6 - If you want difference do not pick up them.
7 - Every non Space Marine player hates them.
Gillies
Warrior

Post by Gillies »

why you would want to leave/stop collecting Warhammer is beyond me, anyways:

maybe Dark Eldar, the 40k equivalent of Dark Elves, plus they really live up to their fluff as a very fast army.

Sisters of Battle, they are the underdogs, personally woudn't choose them cause they have a very limited range of models

Guard, a lot of models, could cost a lot since all of their infantry models come in blisters, except for Catachans, which I hate the look of, you could hold out until the Cadians box comes out. Their strength is in fire power, so you would have to avoid CC as much as possible.

Orks, a great army for a fun game, but just because they are funny doesn't mean that they suck.

This probably hasn't helped much, but just remember to collect the army you want to.
Asmodeus
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Asmodeus »

Oops, sorry about that post earlier No Fake. I thought those were the ones you were considering playing. Really sorry about that one :oops:
Witch Elves still suck ;).
Shockwave
Highborn

Post by Shockwave »

Considering that you allready have Tau and spacemarines. then i would go for Guard (if i do a second army it will be guard). There are many different types of list from basic guard and deathworld veterans to Chem dogs and Elysian drop troops. For all the alternate list out there is give a lot of conversion options to make your army look unique. Also the list are tournament legal. They also get the most supoort form forge world. Thats not forgetting that a Cadian list will be coming out in Codex: Eye of Terror.

My self i would go for a Catachen army (note NOT deathworld) or Elysian drop troops.
I'd rather lose a closely fought game then have it all sown up in a couple of turns.

Strangely, been here longer than most of the Admin staff.......
Grogsnotpowwabomba
The Aspect of Murder
The Aspect of Murder

Post by Grogsnotpowwabomba »

Orks for sure! And not those weedy Speed Gits! I mean true, foot slogging Orks that outnumber their opponents 3 to 1! They are my first GW army and still one of my favorites.

- Orks are versatile. They can actually shoot surprisingly well when you know how to apply their shooting. And obviously they are good in close combat. They can be a fast army. A horde army. A dreadnought army. Or they can be all of these things, since they are so damn cheap in points.

- Orks are fun to paint/convert/etc. The Ork Boy plastic sprue is one of the best I have ever seen, and you can make just about anything from this sprue.

- Not many people play them, so you stand out and often can catch your opponent off guard. Everyone always has fun playing against my Orks (and they thank me for not playing Marines).

- Much like Fantasy, Orks have one of the most balanced and fun army lists to play, with the heart and soul of the army lying in its Troops choices. And, as I said, they are so ridiculously cheap in points that you can field tons of them. It is very intimidating to opponents.

- Looted Vehicles are simply awesome. I love having a beastly close combat army supported by looted Plasma Cannons/Lascannons and a looted Leman Russ. It really throws your opponent's plans awry when he can't simply sit back and shoot at you with his heavy weapons while you charge at him.

- You get to roll an obscene amount of dice with Orks. For some reason this just brings me alot of pleasure.

- Nobz and Warbosses. I just love these oversized goons. And Nobz are arguably the best close combat unit in the game, all things considered.

- Gretchin screens are alot of fun. Just watching your opponent forced to use his heavy duty, expensive weaponry on lowly 3pt Grots is a riot. And then when the Grotz shoot and actually cause wounds it is even better.

- I can't explain it other than the fact that Orks are just extemely fun to play with/against. They are simply awesome (and quite powerful in the right hands)

- Orks are very different from the armies you already have. The Tryanids are somewhat similar, but also quite different in many ways.

Having said all of this, if Orks are completely not your thing than I would play Imperial Guard, because they are also quite different from anything you have. If you do want to play Guard, however, I would wait until GW releases the rumored plastic Cadians.
Oeric
Master Assassin

Post by Oeric »

if you have the army builder from wolflair then you could download the 40k stuff from there
Do not fear death so much, but rather the inadequate life.
Grogsnotpowwabomba
The Aspect of Murder
The Aspect of Murder

If you want all truks like that, you should just play Speed Freaks (although I am a not a fan of the list myself). The Truk boyz are only troops choices in a Speed Freak army. Speed Freaks are a strong list, but they are not as diverse or fun (or forgiving) in my opinion.

The total points cost of what you want would be about 500-700 points, depending on wargear and what not. A perfect Speed Freak force for the points you are aiming.

And all of the combinations you mentioned are legal.
Grogsnotpowwabomba
The Aspect of Murder
The Aspect of Murder

I'll just mention that I have been playing Orks in 40K for about 5 years now, and I have played many different lists and against many different opponents.

Feel free to ask me anytime about anything Orky. :)
Lalle- the pomegranite
Cold One Knight

Post by Lalle- the pomegranite »

hmmm...I'm really leaning towards the guard...comments?

Go guard!!!!!!! Ever wondered whta it would be like to have a gobbo army for wfb?
From experience of both armies- theyre rally close! get cadian figures (like me) spend over 400 bucks on alot of troopers, then give em flamers stick a few in apcs and charge! YOu get there, get out, shoot, get charged, die, run away, then shoot him with battle cannons on the way off the board- it worked for me.. i won most of my games. And to boot you can go on about how much harder than the marines the guard is! we dont need none of that ***** armour crahap! Aharr! Hand me a lasgun and off i go! Shove in a tank or 3 (five with two army lists combined) Throw in a few heavy weapons squads, charge then cover the retreat!!!!!! HARRR!

Ok.. ok.. ive calmed down. heres five reasons
1. the models are great
2. the fluff is realistic, i mean theres more ultramarines in this world that there is in the fantasy world by far
3. Earthshaker cannons.
4. Demolisher cannons.
5. BATTLE CANNONS!
6. The amazing power of the basic lasgun.I killed 3 terminators in one turn. (well, with a eeny bit of luck.)
7. You can have 5 heavy weapon squads- 6 heavy bolters, 6 mortars, 3 missile launchers. 9 templates and 9 str 5 shots- great for those ork armies you just cant get through!
8. Commissars! Dont like you officer? Has he expired? Like the commisar figure better? Never mind- we can shoot him!
9. Hellhounds. One of the few armies that cause auto fall back, you can crossfire easily.
10. Theres 5 ranges of figures to choose from
11. If you get back into the hobby theres gonna be a brand spanking new codex right there for you!
12. Theyre hilarious if you're good natured and like your hobby.
13. Theyre 6 points. 6!!!

As you can probably see, i like my guard. The extra money is definately worth it in the end.
Pomegranites- previously only seen in bad fantasy and famous five books (i know i shouldnt read them, but the ham is just too tempting) now theyre taking over the fruit world.
The word of pain
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by The word of pain »

Go Dark Eldar, they are without doubt the most under rated 40K army. Most oopo's laugh when they see them placed on the board, yet they can be devastating!

Imagine this - A Power Weapon armed space marine, with +1 I and -1 T, in a unit full of the same Power Weapon armed space Marines. and by the way they cost 25 points!
That's your Incubii, many look at the 25 point base cost and think, ooo far too expensive. They don't think of them within game terms!
Wytches are now awsome! Put them on raiders, give them Wych weapons and watch them sythe through most opponants. (The succubii has the agoniser!)
A 25 point jetbike that can turbo boost! Take a unit 0f 3, two with blasters, one of the blaster models is a Succubi, with a tormentor helm and agoniser. They will take on just about any unit in CC and do it very fast!
Your Lord with Shadow Field is obviously good, but what about a 15 point modle with a free agonsier? That's the warp beast beastmaster! They come with a 20 point item of wargear, for only 15 points total!
Warriors are great in units of 10 with 2 Dark lances. They make excellent fire support troops. Shove them in cover, firing those Dark Lances at any tank/transport that moves, doesn't move or even thinks about moving and watch your oppo waste unit after unit of shooting, trying to get at your Dark lances. (that's a 100 point unit!)
Any attack/defend Scenario, you attack! That's a great advantage knowing you are always on the offensive!
I love playing them and also love the smile that peoplwe have when they face me. I then know they have under-estimated the Dark Eldar again!
The Word of Pain

Most heard comment at UK GT...
"Please, not Wood Elves again..."