military?

Got something to talk about? Be it video games, other tabletop or card games, even random stuff - this is the place to post!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Which one would you do?

Army
42%
Navy
5%
Air Force
25%
Not for me, thanks.
27%

Total votes: 92

Sidorio
Assassin

military?

Post by Sidorio »

just a general question from a curious person.
how many of you would consider joining the military in your country?
just a question as we all play a military based game and i wonder how many would do it for a job.

*i notice that i have accidentlly left the Air Force out of the poll. if anyone knows how i can change that tell me. otherwise just say what in your post.
Vash’nir - WS5 / S4 / T4 / D5 / I3
Equipment: 2 asrai short swords, assassins dagger, silver dagger, modified repeater crossbow (20/20), hunting spear, Cloak of Dusk, full leather armour
Inventory: talisman of protection, talisman of night, smoke bombs x6, rope x2, healing balms x10, climbing axe x2, skinning knives, winter gear, Vikarh map, pouch of powder, 4 fire bombs
Mount: Dark Steed (Falken)
Gold: 2270
Skills: Stealth, Two Weapon Fighting, Basic Ride
Class: Shade
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

Army, i was strongly considering it as my next option after leaving school but my girlfriend didnt want me to join up so i went to college instead. Its still a possibility for the future.

Air force and especially Navy (no offence Cal ;) ) i wouldnt do, im not afraid of flying but i dont really like planes, and after almost drowning i would never go in the navy..

i voted Army

- i think you need another poll option for "i wouldnt"
Last edited by Kinslayer on Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Uman
Cold One Knight

Post by Uman »

I think Army. I'd maybe join the Air Force, but it wouldn't be as a pilot, only an engineer or a techie....

Can't see myself as a Narvy man!

U
Cenyu
Khaindar

Re: military?

Post by Cenyu »

Sidorio wrote:how many of you would consider joining the military in your country? just a question as we all play a military based game and i wonder how many would do it for a job.

Never ever. I am a pacifist at heart.
Zakath the slaughterer
Master of Puppets

Post by Zakath the slaughterer »

Me too. So I'm joining the army next month to make sure peace endures :)

I voted Army, navy people are at sea months at a time so I wouldn't be able to play WH for too long a time :( And do various other things too but you get the idea..

Flying just isn't cool at all so only army is left
Master of puppets I'm pulling your strings/
Twisting your mind and smashing your dreams/
Blinded by me, you cant see a thing/
Just call my name, `cause Ill hear you scream
Mdk
Slave on the Altar

Post by Mdk »

And how about "none"? I've been in the army for 2 years (Bosnia in 1995), and well, I have to advice you not to join the army, air force, navy or the ground forces. I have done some thing i regret and all I got back was a letter in witch they asked me to test for cancer ... yeah, I love the army.
You’re a wreck, an accident.
Forget the freak, your just nature.
Keep the gun oiled, and the temple cleaned shiz
snort, and blaspheme, let the heads cool, and the
engine run. Because in the end, everything we do,
is just everything we’ve done.
Rork
Lord of Khorne
Lord of Khorne

Post by Rork »

I added the none (and the air force)...I tried when I added the air force, but you know, technical issues *sigh*. You should be able to add options to a poll by editing your post.

---

Getting shot at doesn't appeal to me. Fair play to anyone who signs up for it, though. I think the military can be taken for granted in some countries, which is a terrible shame since they're tasked with doing things that the vast majority of us could never stomach.

"Rork.. a wonderful guy :)" - Linda Lobsta Defenda

+++ Team Mulligans +++
Loki
Brolock
Brolock

Post by Loki »

I think you all are mistaken about the Air Force (well, at least the US Air Force). From having 2 brothers in the USAF, I can tell you that you can pretty much do almost any career field. Medical, Computers, Special Forces, all those are available in the USAF (damn I sound like a recruiter). Though the biggest reason is because they treat you much better than the Army does. I would venture to say that most of the jobs in the Air Force aren't flying.
+++ Team Mulligans +++

FAQ
Farodin
Assassin

Post by Farodin »

I am going to join the army in two years, I think it will do me good, make me stronger and i just want to serve my country for a few years. I dont really like ships so the navy won't do and the airforce seems ok, but then I want to be a pilot and for that I need to take physics :oops: don't know if that is the correct word sorry for that.Anyway, I really suck at that subject so that was a not an option.
I will at least stay for a few years and if I like the army then I'll stay longer but I think that after a few years i just quit and then I try to start my own shop, in Warhammer ofcourse but also other stuff 8) .
We are Druchii, the cold-hearted blades of destiny.
We shall cut through the world and bring forth Khaine's Kingdom...
...and all shall know their masters
Tar-ciryan
Warrior

Post by Tar-ciryan »

I would never join the military just because I disagree with my country on a political basis. But if I was to it would be navy or RAF.

Navy because alot of my family through history were in the navy, but flying is just plain cool.
(°°) Cthulhu themed corsairs FTW!
/()\ Brotherhood of the Coast!
Lazarus
Phlebotomist of Khaine

Post by Lazarus »

Have alerady spent my time, a couple of years in the Marines and a few more in the Army. Wouldn't consider it with today's administration, but if I were to do it all over again, the Air Force would be first choice. Better accomodations, better choice of duty stations, better treatment all the way around. All of that may seem contraindicated to someone with a dream of more combat oriented training, but once the training is over, the work day begins, and you might as well be able to enjoy your after work time.
I've been to Middenheim,
I've been to Ulthuan,
I've been to Cathay too,
So what, so what
so what so what you boney little f***
Milney
Beastmaster

Post by Milney »

Loki17 wrote:I think you all are mistaken about the Air Force (well, at least the US Air Force). From having 2 brothers in the USAF, I can tell you that you can pretty much do almost any career field. Medical, Computers, Special Forces, all those are available in the USAF (damn I sound like a recruiter). Though the biggest reason is because they treat you much better than the Army does. I would venture to say that most of the jobs in the Air Force aren't flying.

Exactly.

There seems to be a common misconception within the modern world that the Military just crowbars people into three roles: Boats, Planes and Infantry.

The truth is far from it - as you guessed most roles in (well the RAF for sure as that's my countries airforce, but from what you said the USAF aswell) an AirForce are actually nothing to do with actually flying the aircraft, but are involved in other processes.

As an example of the relative rarity of actually flying in the armed forces, in the RAF (and the Army Air Corps and Naval Flight Wings) each and every pilot holds an Officers commision. The "RnF" (so-to-speak) don't get in the aircraft, with a few notable exceptions.

And for those interested in "Combat", in the British Military most of our current "combat" is in and around the airbases in Afghanistan which are actually garrisoned by the RAF Regiment - Infantry trained and maintained by the RAF for that purpose. Only the Surface-to-Air missiles at an RAF field are actually manned by Army personel (Royal Artillery).

Likewise on a Naval Vessel, there is a "Warfare department" - basically an Infantry troop stationed on the vessel used to defend and board other ships.

The military is far from Black and White. Personally, after I was chosen to attend a Sandhurst selection day to become an Officer in the Army I had hoped to join the Army Air Corps (the flying tooth-arm of the Army). It turned out in the Leadership exercises however that I had too much "independent thought" to serve in the current British Army (i.e. I actually prioritised my Platoons safety over the ammo boxes in the excercise when time was limited) and so instead I went to University. Best choice I ever made I reckon.
"Give a man a fire, keep him warm for a night. Set a man on fire, keep him warm for the rest of his life!"

W : D : L (7th Edition)
6 : 1 : 4
Andruillius
Highborn

Post by Andruillius »

Zakath the Slaughterer wrote:
Me too. So I'm joining the army next month to make sure peace endures :)

I voted Army, navy people are at sea months at a time so I wouldn't be able to play WH for too long a time :( And do various other things too but you get the idea..

Flying just isn't cool at all so only army is left

I'm sorry, but I need to press the bullshit button on this one. You freely go into a profession to do armed combat, and you try to call yourself a pacifist? You need to buy yourself a dictionary, because you obviously don't understand what the word means. I'll let you have the "enduring peace" argument, though in essence it is people like you, who take up arms to defend your ideas, who make sure the world will always see war.

Me, I managed to convince (so far) the army that I shouldn't be a conscript, even though military service is compulsory in Norway. I don't feel like being a soldier, and I think the profession in itself is wrong. I'm not a pacifist, though. I'm not as brave as Cenyu.

Anyhow, I shan't open a discussion where one would actually talk about the ethics of armed forces, as that would take the debate beyond technical issues, which is certainly not condoned on this site (anymore). My apologies.
Unofficial and self-appointed ambassador of
www.battleglade.com
Rebmonk
Shade

Post by Rebmonk »

im sure there was some sarcasm in his post.

Anyways, i voted army, because when i was figuring out what to do after highschool i came down to two choices: fly helicopters or government agencies. I chose the government, and love my college classes. However, every time a helicopter flies over i wonder. And going to air shows that have black hawks and apaches doesn't help.
Ming
Black Guard

Post by Ming »

I spent one year in italian army's anti aircraft artillery.
I was a radar operator.
Military service was compulsory in my country until 2000.
I had the unfortunate duty of targeting serbian MIGs during Nato - Serbia 1999 conflict.

Life in the army is not for me; and I wouldn't use firearms (or any weapons) against other human beings unless my life was in immediate danger.

WH is a military based game as chess, and I believe that playing games is a very peaceful activity. !smile!
... and Justice for all!!!

.... and enthusiast member of the league of extraordinary druchii gentlemen
Dictator
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Dictator »

That is why you should all read a great book called "On Combat." It states that most people are sheep: Who can't/won't fight for something that they take for granted everyday they sit and chat online on a forum they think I should read because all they do is talk and never take a stand for what they believe.

Then there are the Sociopaths: that are able to kill whenever and whomever and not feel guilty doing it. This is the worst group as they are leeches on society in general.

The last group is Sheep Dogs: who protect the sheep from the sociopaths and other sheep dogs that would do harm to the sheep they protect. That's why Military service should never be compulsory. Simply because we all have our dreams and stations in life.

So in the end if you are lead to be a pacifist then that is your station in life. If you dream about being a fighter then fight for the people who can't. HOWEVER, if your ideals deep down inside grow from an evil that makes you want to do harm without reason then go see a doctor.

To close I am proud to think we all come into the world the same way we end it. So live each day to the fullest your dreams can carry you. After all we are the same under our skin/language/hair/etc.
"The Cowards never came, the Weak died along the way, the Brave arrived, the Tough remained." -unknown American pioneer
VC painting log
My blog
My Lizardmen
Milney
Beastmaster

Post by Milney »

dictator wrote:That is why you should all read a great book called "On Combat." It states that most people are sheep: Who can't/won't fight for something that they take for granted everyday they sit and chat online on a forum they think I should read because all they do is talk and never take a stand for what they believe.

Then there are the Sociopaths: that are able to kill whenever and whomever and not feel guilty doing it. This is the worst group as they are leeches on society in general.

The last group is Sheep Dogs: who protect the sheep from the sociopaths and other sheep dogs that would do harm to the sheep they protect. That's why Military service should never be compulsory. Simply because we all have our dreams and stations in life.

So in the end if you are lead to be a pacifist then that is your station in life. If you dream about being a fighter then fight for the people who can't. HOWEVER, if your ideals deep down inside grow from an evil that makes you want to do harm without reason then go see a doctor.

To close I am proud to think we all come into the world the same way we end it. So live each day to the fullest your dreams can carry you. After all we are the same under our skin/language/hair/etc.

I laughed!

And then I dried a little inside as I realised that people will actually believe that drivel you wrote :?
"Give a man a fire, keep him warm for a night. Set a man on fire, keep him warm for the rest of his life!"

W : D : L (7th Edition)
6 : 1 : 4
Valeron the forgotten
Warrior

Post by Valeron the forgotten »

Holy S*** that was way too philisophical for me. This started off as just a poll to see what most people would do if they had to pick one wasn't it??? I say again WOW where did that come from :S????????
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

The military is there to serve. In a democracy, they stand to protect your freedom and fight for your interests (not my favorite part) and your ideals (OK, the ideals are brought forward mostly when converging with your interests, but still they are ideals).
Their sence of service goes to the point of being prepared to die and to kill, if necessary (neither option is desirable but we prepare for that). The key point to understand is the necessity.

I respect the right of anyone to be antimilitary, but I believe that it is an opinion against a tool, tool that can be used for the good and for the bad. In my mind, this opinion should better consider the will behind the tool, i.e. the politician.

Oh, by the way, don't forget: History shows that there is always an army in your country. If it is not yours, it is your neighbour's.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Gnosis
Hard, but Fair

Post by Gnosis »

Regular Army for me. All my forefathers, right up till Marshall Michel Ney under Napoleon, were infantry or cavalry commanders.
Count them:

Painted in 2013: 500
Painted in 2014: 600
Painted in 2015: 854
Frosty
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Frosty »

I'm presently an Anti-Tank Detachment commander in the TA (reserves) Infantry.

Although If I went full time I would probably go Royal Air Force as they get better working conditions than the army. Too old to consider that now though :0(
Cenyu
Khaindar

Post by Cenyu »

Andruillius wrote:I'm not a pacifist, though. I'm not as brave as Cenyu.

Remind me again what this has to do with bravery? I didn't tell stories about me stopping tank columns by standing in their way, did I?

I think peace is an ideal state most people should be able to agree upon - in principle. The degree of violence each one would endorse to reach this ideal differs from individual to individual. To make things short and not turn this thread in a debate about ideologies:

I, for once, refuse to carry a weapon or kill a person. And that's just what being a soldier means in a nutshell. So I couldn't be one.
Gibious
Highborn

Post by Gibious »

They are very broad options...

Id be planning to go join the royal artillary. Purely to say my gun is bigger than yours =D
...Well thats the end of my post
Langmann
Malekith's Tastetester & Physician
Malekith's Tastetester & Physician

Post by Langmann »

You know pacifism is all well and good, it definitely has it's roles. It is especially easy when one lives in a happy free first world country.

However if it weren't for the "sheep dogs", as dictator puts it (from a well known book), I wouldn't be here so I personally thank god for them and feel a real bond of sorrow for the people who died or got hurt so I could be around.

What is the role of pacifism when your family is being attacked for no reason but sociopathic hatred or racism? Could you stand and quote Ghandi while your children, wife, husband or parents are being murdered? I would do anything to save my child because I could not watch the pain, I would hope god would forgive me later.

I am not saying one should blindly follow one's country's leaders.

For me it is military medicine. It is not on the list but generally comes under army.
While running a million dollar company, singing at weddings, and his frequent jetting to Spain Elton Jon style, Dark Alliance found the time to stand on the doorstep of Games Workshop like Moses and the Pharoah and calmly state, "Let my people go."
Zeb
Noble

Post by Zeb »

Spent one and a half year in the Swedish army, being attached to the Paras in the end. Great time, but Sweden hasn't really been in war for 200 years either...

And for what branch of the military: "You can't really trust any one with white shirt to fight a war.... !" :D (I have the uttermost respect for the Navy, and it would be my second choice...)
"We are the Pilgrims, master; we shall go
Always a little further; it may be
Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
Across that angry or glimmering sea ..."
from 'Hassan' by James E. Flecker