Six years o_O

Got something to talk about? Be it video games, other tabletop or card games, even random stuff - this is the place to post!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Loki
Brolock
Brolock

Post by Loki »

Do I get shotgun?
+++ Team Mulligans +++

FAQ
Rork
Lord of Khorne
Lord of Khorne

Post by Rork »

Lord Veshnakar wrote:still playing dark elves!

Well, Chaos keeps on cocking things up for me in that regard. Waiting for the release of HoC in 6th stopped me getting DE, I did manage to get Dark Elves OF CHAOS (ahem) when they rolled out and then Daemons threw a spanner in the works for the latest version (for now).

At least I have some Black Guard command ready to go...well, to be built.

Well, to be taken out of the blister pack.

Err, cupboard.

...Yeah...

"Rork.. a wonderful guy :)" - Linda Lobsta Defenda

+++ Team Mulligans +++
Langmann
Malekith's Tastetester & Physician

Post by Langmann »

Yep got mine.

I remember when I got the note from GW lawyers asking Kitrik to cease. Gav T was kind enough to give us advance warning it was coming.

One thing we should do is put up the stencils for the production of T-shirts and allow people to make their own. That can hardly be illegal. Someone should ring Vorchild about that as I think he actually produced the shirts.

Dyvim Tvar wrote:Here's one for you other old-timers:

How many of you have a Druchii.net T-Shirt?
While running a million dollar company, singing at weddings, and his frequent jetting to Spain Elton Jon style, Dark Alliance found the time to stand on the doorstep of Games Workshop like Moses and the Pharoah and calmly state, "Let my people go."
Andruillius
Highborn

Post by Andruillius »

Damn younglings, the lot of you! (except some).

D.net was a better place in them early days, I feel. Fewer fourteen year olds, and those who were here (like me) were taken well care of, and allowed to be silly. D.net had the best Humour Forum ever on a Warhammer site, but for some reason the management got too uptight to keep it. Where are the 10 little dwarf poems now? The Five? The mods with a sense of humour? The OT forum here is so dull I moved to U.net, which has the best OT forum in the Warhammer webworld.

Hell, in the old days this place even had a text based Druchii MMORPG - the most awesome RPG ever. An insane idea that almost crushed the moderators. Sneaky, you're sorely missed.

It really went down after the Druchii got their revision, which was ironically one of the main purposes of this site. GW publishing the URL of this place was a blessing to newcomers and a curse to some of us oldtimers.

Maybe I'm just nostalgic and grumpy. But to me there isn't much of the old Druchii.net except for the beautiful husk.
Unofficial and self-appointed ambassador of
www.battleglade.com
Belial
Modest Member

Post by Belial »

In all the time I've been here, Rork has been there as a big red, cutzy overseer. And who could have asked for better.
I remember when I first found the site, because of some ill-fated attempt at starting a dark elf army(4-5 years later, I still don't own a single model)... It didn't take me long before my curiosity got the better of me, and I clicked the "chat" tab in the menu.

The chatdays(which for me, is over), was a great time, and though I wasn't a very esteemed member, I did learn to love that batch of people that filled the room with their madness: Among them you, Rork.

While I have been very absent lately, I had to log back on when I saw this post, just to say, in public and all:
Congrats Rork. You, sir, are an asset to his site, and it wouldn't be the same without you. And I am very happy, that though others that I would have called "the rockstars of d.net" has left us for their own purposes(Linda, Silas...), the jolly khornate is still here to make this site a better place.
Nagathi
The Exiled One

Re: Six years o_O

Post by Nagathi »

Rork wrote:Yes, I've been a member of this site for six years. Which I reckon is pretty damn impressive (Granted, a few other 2002ers still post, some who joined before me).
I still post, but mainly when someone sends me a link about something that might interest me.

The Chat - The Madness Years

Dot

One evening (in early 2003, I think) I was bored. So I logged on to the chat to see what that was all about.

And lo, I was introduced to the multi-coloured swap shop of wonderment. It was (and is) the 'speak easy' of D.net. The rules were a bit looser and the topics of conversation wider.

The likes of Silas, Auric Stormcloud, calapine, ADRIAN!!! (whose username escapes me), DP and I were part of the Late Night Chat and all that entailed. Nothing, bar creepy netstalking, was off-limits. Was it hours of fun? Yesss.

Pic here: http://www.druchii.net/album_page.php?pic_id=2165
I think it's the only pic we have of the old chatroom.
And for some reason you left out me in your list of late night chatters. I was "only" the chat mod back in those days.

They had an IRC chatroom. A place of calm and simplicity, dedicated to the finer art of playing Warhammer.

Until the D.net chatters turned up en masse. You know the sort of film where a bunch of leather-clad bikers turn up and start performing doughnuts on a pristine lawn to the horror of the mild-mannered owner? It was just like that.

Poor Ricold tried to stop us a few times, but we just ignored him. Power to the people, eh? Originally the chat was called #warhammerfantasy, but fearing that GW might hunt him down, it was changed to #endanal.
Ricold did not try to stop us. Nor was the channel called #WarhammerFantasy. And it was not in fear of GW we had to change name.

The channel was originally called #Ulthuan. Later on Ricold and Kitrik decided together that this chatroom phenomenon could be a great intersite activity. They formed a plan to spread the chat to multiple communities. Ricold had a working applet that would link sites to the same chatroom, and Kitrik stood for the enthusiasm and the initial idea.

The new channel was named #WarhammerFantasy as it would be for every warhammer race, and not only Asuryans and Druchii. However, we soon came in contact with the network owners, GameSurge, who informed us that they would not allow channel names which included registered trademarks. As we are not the owners of Warhammer, we were asked to change channel name. That is why we had to change to #Endanal (a name I have been falsely accused of liking).

But I digress, I was privy to the stuff going on behind the scenes. The chatters were pushed too far and broke away from #endanal and after much discussion between the mods (many of whom were chatters) #dnetchat came into being with me in charge of it.
One incident where Ricold got fed up with all the immature stuff and proposed a rule against it. That rule was shot down quickly, but some chatters had made up their minds. Ricold was a scumbag for all eternity anyway. He was even accused of being the evil overlord of the chatroom, even after he decided to resign from anything Warhammer community-related. People accused the operators (mods) of #Endanal for being mindless puppies to the Asur.org Loremasters, when the ops were nothing but D.net moderators and some non-race-specific guys and gals. It was a time of a lot of poo-throwing, and a lot of corruption. That was the reason I left this once glorious site.

Schism part 2

The Chat War wasn't over. Some wanted a chat to unite all the race-specific sites on the web, and #albion was created to replace #endanal to serve that purpose.

The call to merge, even from some who had supported D.net independence, became louder. The mods and ini leaders discussed it at length with no final solution, so as a compromise I suggested a vote by the chatters in #dnetchat to decide the matter.

I was against a merger, feeling that if it didn't work before, it was only going to go wrong again...and was having a choice that bad?

24 hours of voting commenced one evening to settle it. Whatever the result was, I was prepared to abide by it.

The result? 12 voted to stay separate, 12 abstained and none wished to merge.
If you only ask those who once broke off from Voodoomaster, Lethalis and yours truly, do you really think they'd support going back?
And no, the votes were not 12-12-0. The true results can be found in the Mods' Forum, which I don't have access to anymore. I know a handfull who voted for a merger, me included.

Petter "Naggie" Axén
Former Chat Moderator of Druchii.net
Former Forum Moderator of Druchii.net
Former Head Editor of the Druchii.net Monthly
Commander in Chief of the Druchii in the Sundering (first Asur.org Campaign)
Commander in Chief of the Druchii in the War of the Beard (second Asur.org Campaign)
Commander in Chief of the Asrai in the Hour of the Wolf (third Asur.org Campaign)
Second In Command of the Slaaneshi Druchii in the Flesh & Blood Campaign (first Druchii.net Campaign)
Current Admin & Owner of Asrai.org
And much more :)

Yeah, I'm an oldie...
Last edited by Nagathi on Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kitrik
Fearless Leader of the "Cult of Kitrik"

Post by Kitrik »

Nagathi wrote:Yeah, I'm an oldie...

*cough* Not as old as me... *cough*

Hey guys!
Nagathi
The Exiled One

Post by Nagathi »

All hail the master of the webz!
Good to see you again, Kitty. It's been quite a few years since I last spoke to you.

~ Naggie
Loki
Brolock
Brolock

Post by Loki »

/me bows. All Hail Kitrik! How have you been?
+++ Team Mulligans +++

FAQ
Andruillius
Highborn

Post by Andruillius »

He lives! Hallelujah!

*bows*
Unofficial and self-appointed ambassador of
www.battleglade.com
Belial
Modest Member

Post by Belial »

Remember: Play nice. It's okay to disagree, but don't get personal.
Fr0
Trademaster

Post by Fr0 »

Dyvim Tvar wrote:Here's one for you other old-timers:
How many of you have a Druchii.net T-Shirt?

I have two of them as well, Arq. :evil: They sit bagged in my closet with many other shirts I will not wear for fear of damaging them..

Holy crap, it's Kitrik!
Layne
Arnold Layne
Arnold Layne

Post by Layne »

Fr0 wrote:Holy crap, it's Kitrik!

If he tells you to pick up the gun, don't do it.
Layne
Global Moderator. Everything but the weather.

Caveat Numptor.

Karonath - WS6 / S4 / T4 / D5 / I3
Equipment: Bloodfeather, heavy armour, helm, Sea Dragon Cloak, rope x 2, month rations x 2
Inventory: longspear, 2 short swords, glaive, winter gear, shade cloak,
Mount: Dark Steed (Shiny), talisman of kurnous
Gold: 2294
Skills: Ambidexterity, Controlled Frenzy, Basic Ride, Drukh Kaganth
Class: Khainite
Kefka
Malekith's Best Friend
Location: That's for you to know and me to find out! Do I get a hint?

Post by Kefka »

Andruillius wrote:Damn younglings, the lot of you!

First of all *bows to Kitrik*

Now some of us are a lot newer here then obviously a lot of people in this thread. I just wanted to add that this is still a great site, and pretty small in comparison to forum giants like 40kforums and warseer. I think this community is a lot greater then most other forums I have been to.
Sure, the add on the revision probably brought a lot of new people, and they may not all be as mature or contribute as much, but there would be no need for a forum without them. And they always add new perspective on subjects.
I have only been here for *checks date* a year and a bit, and I can only wish that I was around earlier. I see a few icons or locked threads that I would loved to have been a part of (Herald Webzine, Initiatives, the GW or online campaigns). But I never knew this place existed back then. I was part of ogrestronghold and just thought "if ogres have a forum site, do other armies?" One google search later and I am here.

So this is a "new guy" or "not very old guy" saying that this is still one of the best warhammer forum sites out on the web. I am glad to be a part of it, and wish I could go back in time to join earlier. (seriously, it's kind of like starting to read a comic series when there on issue 200)

Fiat Obsidian - WS5 / S5 / T4 / D5 / I4
Equipment: Halberd, Zukhil Shield, Bastard Sword, Heavy Armour, Seadragon Cloak, Helmet of Slaanesh, Blackthorn Dagger
Mount: Locke (dark steed)
Gold: 488
Skills: Supernatural Awareness, Defensive Fighting, Intimidate, Drukh Kaganth (1)
Class: Warrior
Lethalis
Loremaster

Post by Lethalis »

In the hope that this is censored enough not to get censored.

They had an IRC chatroom. A place of calm and simplicity, dedicated to the finer art of playing Warhammer.

I remember us first setting foot and some Asur.org old timers wondering if they could somehow fight us for the chat. Pity they had Kuffy as principle operator who, as a Dwarf, was sort of unbiased against us :P

Most of us, anyway.

Poor Ricold tried to stop us a few times, but we just ignored him.

This I recall being very different. In essence, there was a group at the forefront (you, darkprincess, myself) who did have long and flaming discussions with the guy about responsibility versus practicality and the amount of freedom one should have the right to. And most of us hoping there’d be no spambots or anything coming in when he snapped and deopped everyone…

Power to the people, eh?

Can I just say I find this ironic?

Originally the chat was called #warhammerfantasy, but fearing that GW might hunt him down, it was changed to #endanal.

Not quite. The asur chat was always called #Endanal, but since other sites were interested in joining the chat Nagathi chose for a more neutral name. #Warhammerfantasy came up first but upon finding out that is was actually GameSurge policy not to have trademarked names being used in such a manner, we settled on #Albion due to its location being available to everyone during the Dark Shadows campaign. As far as I know there never was pressure from GW.

Do you know what innuendo is? D.net chatters do.

The irony here being that for some reason, it was mostly D.netters complaining about the name. This being ironic because the majority of innuendo made in the chat (and that was, and still is, disproportionably much :P) was made by same D.net chatters.

I was privy to the stuff going on behind the scenes. The chatters were pushed too far and broke away from #endanal and after much discussion between the mods (many of whom were chatters) #dnetchat came into being with me in charge of it.

A pity in the end, I conclude, since Voodoomaster had already taken over Ricold near the end. But fierce (and arguably hypocritical) resistance against the name #Endanal meant most people had made up their minds.

The Chat War wasn't over. Some wanted a chat to unite all the race-specific sites on the web, and #albion was created to replace #endanal to serve that purpose.
Ignoring the factual mistake rectified (pun totally not intended) above for a moment, I still say it is a good idea :P

The call to merge, even from some who had supported D.net independence, became louder. The mods and ini leaders discussed it at length with no final solution, so as a compromise I suggested a vote by the chatters in #dnetchat to decide the matter.

I see my name between the lines here.

I was against a merger, feeling that if it didn't work before, it was only going to go wrong again...and was having a choice that bad?

It didn’t work before because of the chat owner being overly strict and people didn’t like the name. Both of them had changed and I still feel you couldn’t make those arguments hold the slightest. Heck, even many people from #Dnetchat skipped (and still skip) over to #Albion.

I still stand by merger and would propose it again if I could. From what I hear, #Dnetchat is reasonably dead during the European day and only the night brings activity whereas #Albion’s activity isn’t as much at night, but spread out over the day. Having a choice is one thing but seeing as how most of the mentioning of #Albion has been deleted/replaced by #Dnetchat, for most people here there is no choice.

24 hours of voting commenced one evening to settle it. Whatever the result was, I was prepared to abide by it.

The result? 12 voted to stay separate, 12 abstained and none wished to merge.

Again I disagree with the idea and execution. 24 hours isn’t going to bring a lot of people in, not a lot of time to make people think exactly what their vote would mean (plenty of new people and all that) and considering the chat was mostly active at night, it was more like 6 hours at most. Having the votes being counted by an objective person would have been nice, since…

…I still recall having voted for merger, along with quite a few others. I don’t know if we had enough people to sway your opinion because, while I have only the proof of my own eyes, I know for a fact that at least part of your vote counting has been going wrong.

But congratulations on holding on for six years, I enjoyed the first three or four or so :) Maybe I forgot something, I’m sure Nagathi will correct me on that then.

And now to repeat the second part of my earlier post: what about the monthly anyway, are you planning to make it bi-annually? And come to think of it, what about campaigns, any chance of seeing one of those again? Flesh and Blood was good fun :)
Arquinsiel
Shadowdancer

Post by Arquinsiel »

Lethalis wrote:This I recall being very different. In essence, there was a group at the forefront (you, darkprincess, myself) who did have long and flaming discussions with the guy about responsibility versus practicality and the amount of freedom one should have the right to. And most of us hoping there’d be no spambots or anything coming in when he snapped and deopped everyone…
My opinion of Ricold's behaviour is far less charitable than this. I would go so far as to call it "insane" given how many personalities he displayed.

Lethalis wrote:Not quite. The asur chat was always called #Endanal, but since other sites were interested in joining the chat Nagathi chose for a more neutral name. #Warhammerfantasy came up first but upon finding out that is was actually GameSurge policy not to have trademarked names being used in such a manner
Given that #warhammerfun existed at the time, and still does, this seems somewhat spurious to claim.
ImageImageImageImage
faerthurir wrote:Arq kicked me in the gyros.
Lethalis
Loremaster

Post by Lethalis »

My opinion of Ricold's behaviour is far less charitable than this. I would go so far as to call it "insane" given how many personalities he displayed.

I felt he was irrational and unreasonable in a number of arguments, but not all of them. As I saw it, he tried different approaches to deal with this large and active group that had invaded 'his' chat. Whatever it was though, he didn't deal with it very well.

Given that #warhammerfun existed at the time, and still does, this seems somewhat spurious to claim.

Rule number four says so, and given how many sites the chat would be connected to, as well as GW's legal powerplay regarding Kitrik's T-shirt selling project, it wasn't unreasonable to think that it could be shot down.

It's not like those rules aren't being broken, and it's not like GS has a spotter in every chat to see if they keep to the rules. Nevertheless, we try to keep to these rules just to be on the safe side.
Nagathi
The Exiled One

Post by Nagathi »

Lethalis wrote:

Rule number four says so, and given how many sites the chat would be connected to, as well as GW's legal powerplay regarding Kitrik's T-shirt selling project, it wasn't unreasonable to think that it could be shot down.

It's not like those rules aren't being broken, and it's not like GS has a spotter in every chat to see if they keep to the rules. Nevertheless, we try to keep to these rules just to be on the safe side.

And they wouldn't have noticed until we needed some help with a thing, and asked some support guy what to do. And while he was working on our issue, he asked us if we were the registered owners of the Warhammer trademark.

It wouldn't be hard for anyone to go to any IRCop on gameSurge and let them know that #WarhammerFun is breaking their Acceptable Use Policy, by rule #4. That would probably cause them some agony and might force them into changing name. I wouldn't do that against the guys running #WarhammerFun, nor do I think anyone else would. But #WarhammerFantasy had been spotted by the network owners and they started asking some hard questions. So instead of breaking the contract, we decided to change name - as well as underlying idea for the whole thing. It went from "a couple of sites connected to the same channel" to the grand "Project Albion" which I tried to market to all the major sites around the net. And I got 7-8 of them to join this intersite activity which had its base not from any race-specific site. #Albion is rooted in the Warhammer WebRing that is WarVault.net.

Just some clarifications...

And as for Ricold and Ricolds behaviour... I was busy with my girlfriend at the time of his most erradic behaviour, but I had a lot of conversations with him the following day as well as with everyone involved. I cannot say for a fact what was said and done that night, but I have a rather good image of the overall events and effects. And I still think Ricold is a good guy. Everyone is allowed to have a bad time and a bad mood. The problem is that he boiled over at the wrong people.

~ Naggie
Arquinsiel
Shadowdancer

Post by Arquinsiel »

He boiled over at everyone with the slightest provocation, and the multiple account thing was a rather transparent ruse to anyone with the most basic knowledge of IRC.
ImageImageImageImage
faerthurir wrote:Arq kicked me in the gyros.
Rork
Lord of Khorne
Lord of Khorne

Post by Rork »

I'm locking this.

+++ Team Mulligans +++
Langmann

Post by Langmann »

I am now unlocking this thread. I have discussed the issues regarding any censorship in this thread here: http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=58891

Please keep insults to a minimum and comments friendly and or objective.

It is sad that this thread has been reduced to bickering.

Thank you all.

Oh and Rork, you never responded to my Roast of you... ;)
While running a million dollar company, singing at weddings, and his frequent jetting to Spain Elton Jon style, Dark Alliance found the time to stand on the doorstep of Games Workshop like Moses and the Pharoah and calmly state, "Let my people go."
Rork
Lord of Khorne
Lord of Khorne

Post by Rork »

langmann wrote:I remember we used to say the same thing about you! ;) Eventually you came around to see the light...

Pfft, how can there be light when this place is so dark? ;)

A compromise had to be reached. I believed a complete redo to be unrealistic and unfair on everyone else in 'the queue'. The final result was a good compromise, particularly for COCs.

Not long after the revision was posted on the GW forums I introduced the changes to a guy I was playing in my local GW of the time. I could be reasonable ;).

You mean you lost many arguments to DA, Ash, LT, Vorchild, Thanee, IT, Grog and I... ;)

One does not lose, dear boy. One wins another debate at a more opportune moment.

The sad thing is how long ago all this happened. Time sure flies. What is even more a disappointment is how GW had developed a great relationship with a fan site and that they could have done so much with all the other fan sites out there.

I don't think people in GW really exploit the web as much as they could. The websites they set up have always been slightly below far in terms of functionality. Their forums used a terrible system even after they updated them (which was largely cosmetic). Forums (as we have seen) can be awfully fractious places, but for a business like GW there's a gold mine of market research if they wanted it.

Glad to have you, Rork, you have helped this site out so much.

Cheers. Here's to another 6 years of inky blackness :lol:.

+++ Team Mulligans +++
Lord k
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Lord k »

Alright chaps.

Been a long time since ive logged in here, don't recognise too many names haha :lol:

I kicked about in the chat quite a bit back in the day aswell. Nagathi, Rork, DP, Calapine , Silas et all.

I joined just at the split up if the 5ive. Some funny times, Surreal in particular i remember getting a laugh at. Also, Unholy Hamster's short lived prominence in the humour forum.

I think this site hit its' peak for me just after the revision cameout. there was such an influx of posters and such a lot of chat going on. Understandably though as i moved away from Warhammer my interest in much of the discussion here wained.

I think i eventually gave up when the "Team shenanigan" thing got a bit ott, im sure those who remember know what i mean.

Anyway, anyone know what happened to Calapine, i talked to him quite a lot on MSN then he suddenly disappeared,havent heard from him since.

Anyway good to see the site where i spent far too much of my early teen life is still here 8)
Buying Warhammer minis - expensive as hell

Seeing grown men list their win/loss/draw results in their sigs as though it compensates for anything - priceless.

www.pimpcostumes.com for all your clothing needs...
Rork
Lord of Khorne
Lord of Khorne

Post by Rork »

Lord K wrote:Anyway, anyone know what happened to Calapine, i talked to him quite a lot on MSN then he suddenly disappeared,havent heard from him since.

We've seen him online once in a while in the chat. He hasn't changed that much since the old days :lol:. You could try sending him a pm.

+++ Team Mulligans +++
The buoyancy of water
Highborn

Post by The buoyancy of water »

I'd forgotten about the "big crash" until you mentioned it!! I remember we set up an alternative site for the RPGers to keep going on. It was pretty basic, black and green if memory serves..?

Cheers,
Dave

P.S. I know my start date isn't that old, my old account got deleted at some point :(
Lenya Talos

WS: 4
S: 3
T: 2
D: 4
I: 5

Equipment: Short Sword, Repeater Crossbow, Shade Cloak, Small Brass Ring. 5 Gold

Skills: Basic Stealth.