Six months o_O

Got something to talk about? Be it video games, other tabletop or card games, even random stuff - this is the place to post!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Six months o_O

Post by Calisson »

Has it really been that long?
(Actually it has been longer, I joined 8 months ago. :) )

History is always interesting and I used to be a big fan of Indiana Jones and old ruins.
So thank you all old timers to unveil some relics from the good ol' Jurassic period (before the Great Extinction, "The Great Crash of 2003") :roll: Six years o_O.

Hey, no offence, ;) I am really interested to read about the difficult and enthusiastic early times of our beloved D.net.
You old timers enjoyed the Frontier Spirit at that time. Reading your thread, it seemed quite a messy Far West.
Thanks to your perseverance, we newbie’s can now enjoy a much civilized place in D.net.

I don’t want to highjack your oldtimer's thread, so let’s start here a newbie’s one.
We newbies are here, some of us are here to stay, so let’s feel at home… while respecting the ancients.

Andruillius wrote:GW publishing the URL of this place was a blessing to newcomers and a curse to some of us oldtimers.

That’s exactly how I discovered D.net, as I’ll relate below.
A blessing indeed for me – a curse for oldtimers? Give us a chance!

Let's have a little trip down memory lane... (quote from Rork)

I started a collection of WHB Dark Elves in 2006.
I thought naively that all GW armies were balanced, so initially I blamed myself for not being able to make it work properly. I even started another army (Empire) to check if it was fighting better – it was indeed -.

On GW official website, they were providing some hints about how to operate an army. Not that much useful, but already a help. I realized only later that it was far sufficient to master the DE.

Some day, I read an article on GW website about how DE revision was made. There it was mentioned about the help brought by the people from druchii.net. :?: Hey, what’s that?
By curiosity, I had a look.
:o Wow! So much experience made available for me! I wished I had discovered it before.

So I started to read more and more threads in D.net.
At that time, DE were under-powered, assassins were useless, Dark Lore was not very powerful and many other reasons stood why life for a beginning Druchii general was so harsh.

But the DE players were eager to share their experiences and help each other. Only doing so could they bring an otherwise underdog army to an acceptable level. Wow! :D Nice spirit.
With the coming of the present edition, I wish that this cooperative spirit stayed, and I’ll try my best to foster it.

I had also to discover a web culture brand new to me :? . I am not a big fan of web browsing. D.net, along with GW, are still the only websites where I have ever registered. I am still struggling sometimes with acronyms or abbreviations, in addition with the language barrier (English as well as web slang), the generation gap (I am closer to retirement than from bootcamp) or other cultural difficulties. However, D.net has an exquisite policy of banning text speak and other 1337, so usually it is possible to understand what is going on without having to ask my kids.

I did not registered immediately, not seeing any need for it.
Then, last spring I read on D.net about the future revision of DE.
At that time, I had a brilliant idea :idea: (or so I thought): in the fluff of that day’s Army book, they had a nice story of using slaves to win a battle. I wanted my slave unit!
As I suspected that the team creating the Army Book would include some D.net users, I decided to post my first thread and give my idea a chance. If the idea was good, somehow it would make its way to one of the authors of the future army book. Who knows? Dare or renounce.

So I registered. I posted my first thread ever. And, as Andruillius mentions in the grumpy old timers’ thread, I was well taken care of.
Andruillius wrote:Damn younglings, the lot of you! (except some).
D.net was a better place in them early days, I feel. Fewer fourteen year olds, and those who were here (like me) were taken well care of.

I came to discover what an admin was (I remember her name: Linda) and how powerful she was. My post was on the wrong forum. I had to redo it.
I did. But no success. The idea was not so bright, after all.

But the side result was that I became hooked to D.net, and I am still there.

After this first try, I kept reading avidly about the bright future that the new Army Book would bring to us. Lots of rumours. I started to collect them on a Word file, from several threads opened on more or less the same topic. The hottest news and lots of wish lists.

Then Milney came up with some serious information. I avidly collected it. After a while, it became impossible to keep track from all the information coming from three or four different threads. So I made a new thread, just for the summary. It had quite some success.

Again, I had some interesting exchanges with Linda about the risk of revealing GW information. A compromise was reached (it was easy: when discussing with a Lady, the Man has always the last word: Yes Ma'am). It allowed all D.net readers to get an easy access to the bits of information cumulating day after day.

But much more than just information, I feel that I’ve found some friends 8) . Some of you write a lot of comments, showing your personality. Some of you evolved, became mods. Some of you embarked with me in the D.R.A.I.C.H. project. Now there are many signatures that evoke something to me and that I read with pleasure.
Threads like the “who we are” are interesting for this aspect.

Kefka wrote: Now some of us are a lot newer here then obviously a lot of people in this thread. I just wanted to add that this is still a great site
Sure, the add on the revision probably brought a lot of new people, and they may not all be as mature or contribute as much, but there would be no need for a forum without them. And they always add new perspective on subjects.

That is exactly what I am trying to do with the D.R.A.I.C.H.
I’d like to pay back what I owe to D.net, up to my abilities. I hope to achieve it not so much as a tactician (I still need to improve and I’ll always lack the GT experience) but possibly through a collection and organisation of information.

So please, all newbies, help me paying back to D.net what we owe.
Participate to the D.R.A.I.C.H! (oh no! Did I advertise again? Can’t help it. :oops: )

For the old grumpy plankowners of D.net, let me thank you all again, for having created this outstanding site (so say people who know other sites) and also for welcoming us.

Thread open for newbie’s comments (let’s not disturb too much the old timers on their own thread), and also for more experienced D.net browsers (which advice is always welcome with respect).
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Sedro
Beastmaster
Location: sieging Ulthuan...alone when not in gothenburg Sweden

Post by Sedro »

Nice thread by our newly promoted newbie leader lord Callison :P
Nice to hear someone starts a thread not for the ancients but we don't have as much to talk about as they have so I see this pretty useless but full of irony and happines :D .
I also wants to thank the elders for a warm welcome in whatever time I joined ( 2 years perhaps?) :)
Animatronicdemonskwerral
Beastmaster

Post by Animatronicdemonskwerral »

nice read. the D.R.A.I.C.H. is great. I came back here the other day just to see what's what. I heard some stuff on a "Shade Deathstar." Instead of looking with the search function, I just went on D.R.A.I.C.H. thread and bam! there it was.
THR/////////\\\\\\\\\\ZZZZZZZHHHHHHH TILLL D////\\\\////\\\THHHHHHHH
No one
Noble

Post by No one »

I am also very thankfull for the warm welcome i enjoyd when i posted my very first post! I want to thank all those people who made Dnet the forum it is today and I want you to know that your work is aprreciated by many, but now we, the newbies (under the command of our leader Calisson ;)), will try to help you acients to make Dnet even better then it is!
BTW Callison: many thanks for creating DRAICH, I really enjoy reading all those articles (and they really helped me too) and P.S: nice post!
well that was all I got to say...I hope I didn't bore all of you too much ;)
'with hatred all things are possible' -Malus of Hag Greaf-

"3/4 of games are won by deathstars. Copy this into your signature if you still use real tactics to win"
Gnosis
Hard, but Fair

Post by Gnosis »

I'm glad the majority of you genuinely enjoy the forum for what it is: the one place on the net to exchange ideas on Dark Elves and related subjects in a concise, efficient and intelligent manner. Thanks to you all for leaving your frustrations and drama at the door, so that we mods and admins have an easier time of maintaining the site's quality. And thanks for thanking us once in a while, we truly appreciate it ;)

Happy further browing, as always!
Count them:

Painted in 2013: 500
Painted in 2014: 600
Painted in 2015: 854
Langmann
Malekith's Tastetester & Physician
Malekith's Tastetester & Physician

Post by Langmann »

Calisson, it is people like you who help continue to keep the site going the right way. You new folks who contribute to the site are more important that us old folks who have become hermits.
While running a million dollar company, singing at weddings, and his frequent jetting to Spain Elton Jon style, Dark Alliance found the time to stand on the doorstep of Games Workshop like Moses and the Pharoah and calmly state, "Let my people go."
Mnesthius
Beastmaster

Re: Six months o_O

Post by Mnesthius »

Calisson wrote:I read an article on GW website about how DE revision was made. There it was mentioned about the help brought by the people from druchii.net. :?: Hey, what’s that?
By curiosity, I had a look.

That's exactly how I found out about this online community! Taught be alot about miniature painting - I don't have a local games workshop. Introduced me to coolminiornot.com for one thing! This site has alot of useful tut's as well as its private share of awe inspiring conversions.

Thanks for the help. My army is coming along slowly but steadily, largely thanks to you guys.
ImageImage