gears of war 1 PC trouble

Got something to talk about? Be it video games, other tabletop or card games, even random stuff - this is the place to post!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

gears of war 1 PC trouble

Post by Kinslayer »

I was wondering if anyone here might now what is wrong with my game. A few months ago whilst playing Gears and having reached act 35ish (I was at the factory just before you enter the mines). When playing it suddenly came up with some sort of message saying Gears of War had to close, send/do not send error report. When I went back on the game it said no save game data could be found. Eventually I plucked up the will to start again and got a lot further, this time I was in the basements below Marcus' house. The same thing just happened and my saved game has gone again.

Anyone know what I can do, or do I need to start again (again)?
Gnosis
Hard, but Fair

Post by Gnosis »

Copy your saved games to a different folder frequently, that's all the advice I can offer.
Count them:

Painted in 2013: 500
Painted in 2014: 600
Painted in 2015: 854
Tarbo
Morathi's Best Friend
Morathi's Best Friend

Post by Tarbo »

Yeah, there's this bug that causes you to lose all our settings at (seemingly) random occurrences. I can't really remember the times we played through Hardcore (9?) and the first four chapters of Insane (5?) just to get reset. There was a fix released to change that, or at least lower the probability. I believe I plucked it off the official site.

A word of warning, though. It's possible 'Live!' will annoy you with error messages for some reason. I play LAN so I just ignore them, but just thought I'd let you know.
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

Okay thanks Damnation / Tarbo, I will start backing up the files and try to track down that Fix you mentioned. Hopefully I can be bothered to start over, I love the game :) There isn't some way online for me to download a saved game up to the point I was at is there?