Rage Against The X-Factor

Got something to talk about? Be it video games, other tabletop or card games, even random stuff - this is the place to post!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Darkprincess
Chosen Babe of Slaanesh

Rage Against The X-Factor

Post by Darkprincess »

Ok some of you will already know about this, so I won't fill up a page explaining what it's all about, as you can read the story here;

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Showbi ... k_Campaign

Anyone who appreciates good music in preference to the mindless cover-version pap that's being churned out by talentless manufactured bands backed up by big tv companies should at least take a look.

There is a facebook group you can join to show your support if you wish, but the ultimate aim is to get people to buy the record in order to give that pathetic weed Simon Cowell a well-deserved kick in the teeth :twisted:
The Dark Princess
High Priestess of the Cult Of Pleasure

Give yourself over to absolute pleasure
Swim the warm waters of sins of the flesh
Erotic nighmares beyond any measure
And sensual daydreams to treasure forever
Rork
Lord of Khorne
Lord of Khorne

Post by Rork »

...With Rage Against the Machine. Nothing against them, but it will need something a tad more mainstream to beat Codpiece Cowell.

Amusing, but you need someone mainstream.

Like Cheryl Cole :P.

"Rork.. a wonderful guy :)" - Linda Lobsta Defenda

+++ Team Mulligans +++
Arquinsiel
Shadowdancer

Post by Arquinsiel »

If they had picked someone who didn't suck and/or had released their song in this decade (so we'd have a chance of, ye know, finding it in shops....) then I'd possibly get on board with this plan.
ImageImageImageImage
faerthurir wrote:Arq kicked me in the gyros.
Layne
Arnold Layne
Arnold Layne

Post by Layne »

You are like some kind of non motivating internet guy.
Layne
Global Moderator. Everything but the weather.

Caveat Numptor.

Karonath - WS6 / S4 / T4 / D5 / I3
Equipment: Bloodfeather, heavy armour, helm, Sea Dragon Cloak, rope x 2, month rations x 2
Inventory: longspear, 2 short swords, glaive, winter gear, shade cloak,
Mount: Dark Steed (Shiny), talisman of kurnous
Gold: 2294
Skills: Ambidexterity, Controlled Frenzy, Basic Ride, Drukh Kaganth
Class: Khainite
Darkprincess
Chosen Babe of Slaanesh

Post by Darkprincess »

Today, Cowell has hit out angrily at the campaign today, which I guess means he's rattled by it, else he wouldn't bother saying anything about it - which apparently it has over half a million members on facebook already - though how many of them will actually go out and buy the record is another matter entirely...
The Dark Princess

Mr_piechee
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Mr_piechee »

if you look at the group, refreshing the page shows its increasing by about 10 members every few seconds...
link to the rage group here.
Link to the better idea journey group here.

The journey one came first, but sadly isn't as popular. either way it would be good to see the x-factor get crushed. they need to give up with the show - its getting worse and worse (well the artists that come out of it anyway, haven't seen the show in a long time, the auditions are the only good bit cause you can laugh at all the idiots!)
[hope you don't mind my random babel] ~ Take a look to the sky just before you die, its the last time you will ~ my pics
Mr_piechee
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Mr_piechee »

well its official that Rage have the number one! Thats the power of social networking!
[hope you don't mind my random babel] ~ Take a look to the sky just before you die, its the last time you will ~ my pics
Darkprincess
Chosen Babe of Slaanesh

Post by Darkprincess »

YESSSSS!

Well this is truly a result ! OK maybe there were better candidates (the muppets one for example), but whichever way you cut it, Cowell's Karaoke has been stopped in its tracks - That's no to be mean-spirited and deny glory to the x-factor winner - I'm sure he'll make a load of moneyv and be very successful - good luck to him - this is not about him, it's about Cowell and his own brand of (probably fake) mean-spiritedness.

For the last four years, the x-factor winner has been the automatic xmas no.1 record - a triumph of manufactured hype at the expense of raw talwent and songwriting ability.

OK, Rage against the Machine isn't exactly a shining example of the latter, but at least it's made the music business sit up and take notice - in much the same way that the advent of punk rock did in the late 1970s, after a sorry decade of manufactured pap, akin to that being churned out by Cowell's Karaoke Company.

I honestly never expected that Rage would actually do it, but like Mr_PieChee says, it demonstrates what can be achieved by technology combined with people power. Whether this will have any meaningful lasting effect on the music industry is highly debatable, but then that's what they all said when punk first emerged...

>> smug mode <<

Facebook 1, Cowell 0

:D
The Dark Princess

Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

A good result indeed,
although last year the Xmas no 1 was played on the main radio stations about 3 or 4 times an hour. I had the radio on all day at work the other day and only heard Rage once :lol:
Zardock
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Zardock »

I just think this whole Xmas no.1 thing is rather sad. I also find it ironic that the goal of this was to make RATM a more commercial success than a commercial band (sort of goes against everything they stood for... but that is just my opinion).

It is quite cool that it worked but I can't help feel slightly sickened by it...
Join the Shrine of the Serpent today!
Brotherhood of the Coast!

Zardock (Group 27)
Class: Trainee of Khaine
WS:4 / S:5 / T:3 / D:4 / I:2
Equipment: Short sword and Dagger, 50g in a pouch.
Skills: Two Weapon Fighting, Uncontrollable Frenzy

The Keeper of the D.net Battle Records.
Mr_piechee
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Mr_piechee »

i don't think that was the goal at all. I think it was to stop x-factor getting to number one for another year in a row. Stopping winning x-factor guaranteeing a number one is a great achievement.

Getting on simon cowells nerves was nice to see as well, but chances are it never bothered him at all - both are under the same label, which he has shares in (its been mentioned by many people that he prob had that little out burst to make people buy more singles, and fight it out getting him more money - whether hes that clever or not i don't know, but he does strike me as a pretty smart guy). Admittedly he would earn more from the x-factor number one, but there were prob just as many singles bought of the x-factor winner as there would have been without the campaign.
Arquinsiel
Shadowdancer

Post by Arquinsiel »

Cowell's reaction to losing is that he realised he has become complacent and needs to put more effort into irritating us. He'll just be more successful after this now....
ImageImageImageImage
Comrade igor
Daemon in Disguise

Post by Comrade igor »

Simon Cowell will be back next year with another fame hungry and overly emotional act that will be climbing the charts with one of those songs from days gone by that you wish you'd never heard or ever hear again.

This is hardly a victory, not when the prize for being in X-factor is so great. But what exactly are you fighting for? Some kid got a lucky break, and he actually had to work for what he got, it's hardly injustice is it? Sure he didn't spend years and years playing in bars and clubs before he getting a record deal, but then in this day and age if you spend years playing in bars and don't get spotted, are you really worth more than the kid that won X Factor?

Joe McWhateverhisnameis has been given a life changing opportunity, he's been given a name and a fan base, it's now up to him to go away and produce some decent music. Grats Joe, you've won the lottery.
Best Regards, Comrade Igor.

Where there's a Whip there's a Way
Arquinsiel
Shadowdancer

Post by Arquinsiel »

That's a good point Igor, but I don't think the problem people have is with the winner themself (although I hate the butchered versions of Run and Hallelujah that have been tossed out recently...) but the cynical manner in which Simon Cowell makes the public dance on puppet-strings to line his pockets year after year after year without actually doing much more than being snide. Heck, if he was actually consistantly snide these days I'd like him better.(he did do right by Susan Boyle though, so fair play to him there).
ImageImageImageImage