What's the deal, man?

Got something to talk about? Be it video games, other tabletop or card games, even random stuff - this is the place to post!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Svarthofthi
Executioner
Location: Within the nightmare twists and turns of Hag Graef.

What's the deal, man?

Post by Svarthofthi »

So, no matter where I go, and I move quite a bit mind you, I am surrounded by the screams of "IMBA!" whether its about this army or that army. What's the deal, man? It's a shame really, a game played for leisure folks. How can WE, the people who enjoy the game for what it is, show them the light and bring them toward having a good time about losing no matter who they play?
"I have heard the call to power! Who of you can say you'd dare tread the same path as I?"
Gnosis
Hard, but Fair

Post by Gnosis »

The thing is, you can't. It lies in peoples' natures to be able to handle a loss or not. Find out who is fun to play against and who is not.
Count them:

Painted in 2013: 500
Painted in 2014: 600
Painted in 2015: 854
Layne
Arnold Layne
Arnold Layne

Post by Layne »

Swap armies with them and roll them just the same. Those who will see the light, will see it then.
Layne
Global Moderator. Everything but the weather.

Caveat Numptor.

Karonath - WS6 / S4 / T4 / D5 / I3
Equipment: Bloodfeather, heavy armour, helm, Sea Dragon Cloak, rope x 2, month rations x 2
Inventory: longspear, 2 short swords, glaive, winter gear, shade cloak,
Mount: Dark Steed (Shiny), talisman of kurnous
Gold: 2294
Skills: Ambidexterity, Controlled Frenzy, Basic Ride, Drukh Kaganth
Class: Khainite
Arquinsiel
Shadowdancer

Re: What's the deal, man?

Post by Arquinsiel »

Svarthofthi wrote:So, no matter where I go, and I move quite a bit mind you, I am surrounded by the screams of "IMBA!" whether its about this army or that army. What's the deal, man? It's a shame really, a game played for leisure folks. How can WE, the people who enjoy the game for what it is, show them the light and bring them toward having a good time about losing no matter who they play?
Your problem, illustrated by the bolded word, is that you are hanging around with computer gamers far too much.
ImageImageImageImage
faerthurir wrote:Arq kicked me in the gyros.
Demetrius
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Demetrius »

Can I ask what IMBA means?
Lyhne
The Dane

Post by Lyhne »

Demetrius the Betrayer wrote:Can I ask what IMBA means?

It means "imbalanced".
+++Team Mulligans +++
Rorkie wrote:
Rork edit: Caps hurt my eyes. Don't hurt my eyes. If you do, I will hurt your soul.
- human
Adept of Khaine

Post by - human »

And this whole time I've been doing my IMBA degree (International MBA) I thought it was unique...

People really need an abbreviation/acronym to say "your army is cheesy"?
- Human
Arquinsiel
Shadowdancer

Post by Arquinsiel »

Like I said, it's a computer gamer thing. It's more fun to have a short catchphrase to throw at a problem than it is to sit down and find a way around it.
ImageImageImageImage
faerthurir wrote:Arq kicked me in the gyros.
Bies
Noble

Post by Bies »

I like how the answer to telling them to stop complaining is to swap armies and steam roll them.

We play dark elves, it's a top 3 army. odds are he'll understand why so many people dislike our army.
Not another 1...
W/D/L for 2010
40/7/18
Malevion
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Malevion »

I remember back when we had a weaker army book if I beat someone it was a "good game".

Now when I win using similar units and the same tactics it must be because my army is broken or IMBA as you said. I guess people like to have some excuse for their failures (ie. o the dark elf book is so strong that if i loose it isn't because I made mistakes/was outplayed). If there is no immediate excuse (ie opponent had a weaker army list) then people will usually admit defeat graciously. You just have to put up with it. When you win you will know whether it was your army that won the game or your tactics and your opponent will too even if they won't admit it.

Of course when I loose it is always because of bad luck =p
He is a pimp and pimps don't commit suicide.

Dead men don't strike first
Blaznak
Beastmaster

Post by Blaznak »

If they shout IMBA just give them a weird thousand yard stare and in a slightly too calm voice say "Why, yes I am."
:)

~B~
Varaken
Executioner

Post by Varaken »

~B~ bringing the conversation back down to Earth as always :P
Only by the blade can weakness be purged.
Archangel
Executioner

Post by Archangel »

this is always going to happen specially when you play silly people who think there chaos army is unbeatable no matter who many units charge his chosen unit. its just the fact we are a underdog army of hardlyseens when we are seen and win people think there is something not right.
I sing the hymn of the conquered, who fall in the battle of life,
The hymn of the wounded, the beaten who died overwhelmed in the strife.
Layne
Arnold Layne
Arnold Layne

Post by Layne »

Bies wrote:I like how the answer to telling them to stop complaining is to swap armies and steam roll them.

We play dark elves, it's a top 3 army. odds are he'll understand why so many people dislike our army.

Have at you, knave. It does depend. For instance, no mention of Dark Elves in OP, and besides, they might really be gumbies, and if they are gumbies, you can beat their Daemons with a hat, and if they say IMBA then every penny of ten thousand thundering dollars in a Tonnere de Brest says, "Here there be Gumbees."
Layne
Global Moderator. Everything but the weather.

Caveat Numptor.

Karonath - WS6 / S4 / T4 / D5 / I3
Equipment: Bloodfeather, heavy armour, helm, Sea Dragon Cloak, rope x 2, month rations x 2
Inventory: longspear, 2 short swords, glaive, winter gear, shade cloak,
Mount: Dark Steed (Shiny), talisman of kurnous
Gold: 2294
Skills: Ambidexterity, Controlled Frenzy, Basic Ride, Drukh Kaganth
Class: Khainite
Kheel
Noble

Post by Kheel »

In my experience, is as follows.
A race that were inferior in a specific edition will be buffed in the next. Buffs come in different degrees. You can have a slight buff (rather rare), you can have a moderate buff(less than uncommon, but still not that common), or you can have a great buff of great proportions (I mean Daemons of Chaos for example, but also, DE with eternal hatred, HE with army wide ASF... These are just some examples)
A race that is superior in a specific edition will pretty much stay as is or be nerfed in the next.
A nerf is more rare than stay as is.

This also help to make the game more and more based around strong units and small groups of elites.
I like big units of infantry, tactics around manoeuvres and where you place the general and BSB for your troops to hold etc.
What we see now is super ultra mega power heroes with super ultra mega power items. And these super ultra mega power heroes with their super ultra mega power items in super ultra mega power strong units of great proportions that have no need of a BSB or generals LD, since they will ALWAYS win a combat.
However, now that a few armies have come in the 7th edition, we have some armies that all have super ultra mega power items for their super ultra mega power heroes etc...
I want less focus on items and special rules and more focus on the classic battle scenarios.
//Kheel

Nobody really cares if you’re miserable, so you might as well be happy.