Computer problems, hoping for some help

Got something to talk about? Be it video games, other tabletop or card games, even random stuff - this is the place to post!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Kefka
Malekith's Best Friend
Location: That's for you to know and me to find out! Do I get a hint?

Computer problems, hoping for some help

Post by Kefka »

Hi everyone!
I've been having some computer problems lately,and I am not computer savvy a tall.
Whenever I try to open a program,it asks me to "Open with" and I have to browse my computer and look at all the files to find the launch program. Even then it doesn't always work, or I cannot find the launch program at all.
Also, whenever I do get to opening a program I get a message saying:
"You have chosen to open firefox.exe
which is an application
would you like to save the file"
It will open if I say yes or no, but I don't know what it is for.

Some programs dont even open, I get the message:
"This file does not have a program associated with it for preforming this action."

Anyone out there able to help me? Or at least point me in the right direction.
Thank you.

Fiat Obsidian - WS5 / S5 / T4 / D5 / I4
Equipment: Halberd, Zukhil Shield, Bastard Sword, Heavy Armour, Seadragon Cloak, Helmet of Slaanesh, Blackthorn Dagger
Mount: Locke (dark steed)
Gold: 488
Skills: Supernatural Awareness, Defensive Fighting, Intimidate, Drukh Kaganth (1)
Class: Warrior
Thanatoz
Noble

Post by Thanatoz »

What OS do you use? If winxp, try this link.

Your pc is probably infected by a virus of malware. If you get it back working, I suggest downloading and running anti-virus progams.

My personal favourites:

- CCleaner (for cleaning first)
- Malwaryebytes AntiMalware
- Any anti-virus will do (one of the best free ones is avast)

You can also try hooking up your hard drive to another pc as a secondary disk, and scan them for malware on that disk.

Good luck.
Kefka
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Kefka »

I have Vista, so your link probably wont help. Thank you though, at least I know what might be wrong.
I had anti-virus before, but I am not sure what happened,I still got infected. The bothersome thing is that my anti-virus program is one of the things I cannot open.

Equipment: Halberd, Zukhil Shield, Bastard Sword, Heavy Armour, Seadragon Cloak, Helmet of Slaanesh, Blackthorn Dagger
Skills: Supernatural Awareness, Defensive Fighting, Intimidate, Drukh Kaganth (1)
Thanatoz
Noble

Post by Thanatoz »

What many people don't realize, is that malware, trojan horses and rootkits (sometimes generally categorized as spyware, though not always just) are not viruses. They sneak in through targeted attacks, often only requiring the person to click a link (maliciously crafted). Social networks, internet pages, e-mails, everything is used to spread those things.

This link here should work with vista

Even if you use anti-virus, I strongly recommend running malwarebytes anti malware, because it targets a different type of infection. Google it, download it, install, scan (can take a few hours), and remove any infections found and you're good to go.

Just to be on the safe side, there's also the possibility you accidently registered the extension with a faulty application yourself (or another user on your computer).

Downloading Windows Defender will install an additional level of protection versus that type of attacks, should your anti-virus not include anti-spyware.

Good luck.
Last edited by Thanatoz on Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Arquinsiel
Shadowdancer

Post by Arquinsiel »

MalwareBytes anti-Malware;
Spybot Search&Destroy;
Spyware Doctor;
AVG Free;
Avast Anti-Virus;

Install all of these and run them all in Safe Mode with networking and command line interface disabled. If they don't find the problem then you're in for a puzzler.
ImageImageImageImage
faerthurir wrote:Arq kicked me in the gyros.
Belial
Modest Member

Post by Belial »

No. That's terrible advice. Never, ever, EVER install more than one anti-virus program on your pc.
Kefka
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Kefka »

Thanks for the tips Thanatoz, I'll be working till the wee hours of the morning tonight.

I agree with Belial though, I don't know much about computers, but I do know not to have multiple anti-virus programs on a computer.

Thanatoz
Noble

Post by Thanatoz »

MBAM (malware bytes anti malware) saved my @$$ multiple times, cleaning up 90% of malware infections I encountered (my job is PC support amongst others, so that's a lot). It's not like anti-virus, because it doesn't actively defend. It just scans and deletes (you can pay to get real time protection, but you can always scan and remove for free).

Spybot Seek and Destroy and Spyware Doctor used to be good, but nowadays I find they don't contribute much except for installing too much addons I don't like, so they're off my support list.

Multiple anti-virus is indeed bad, but I should stress again the difference between anti-virus and anti-malware/spyware. Some anti-virus packets offer "total protection packages" against those threats, others that don't (I think the free version of AGV doesn't include anti-spyware) benefit from an additional program with anti-spyware. Windows Defender (for XP SP2 and up) is good to have and offers free realtime anti-spyware.

Latest kid on the block in the free anti-virus/anti-spyware market is windows security essentials, and a good one to have too (unless you're on mac ofcourse).
Tarbo
Morathi's Best Friend
Morathi's Best Friend

Post by Tarbo »

Kefka wrote:I had anti-virus before, but I am not sure what happened,I still got infected.

Anti-virus programs can offer some protection, but they cannot protect you from everything. What these programs do, basically, is check "prodded" content against known patterns (it's more complicated than that). Anti-virus is like armour: it should be your last line of defense in any situation. Try not to get hit in the first place.

Some ways to avoid getting hit:
  • Install another browser, such as Firefox or Opera, and stop using Windows' "native" Internet Explorer. If any advice you will follow, this is a must. (Any time IE starts up for some reason, I get this panic attack and just kill the damn thing as fast as I can. And then run a full scan for good measure, because I feel dirty.)
  • Tell your mail client (Outlook, Thunderbird, Opera) not to open attachments by default, or even download them. Some programs, overly eager to save you from a click or two, will automatically open downloaded content. Not good.
  • In that vein: don't open things you don't trust. Even if you do trust it, give your anti-virus the chance to inspect it: save it to your disk, and tell your program to scan it thoroughly. It doesn't take long and, nine out of ten times, it'll catch any contained malware.

As for the actual cleaning up afterwards, well, Thanatoz seems a lot more experienced in that than I am. :P

On a sidenote: it is possible to have more than one anti-malware program on your PC, but you should be aware that they may turn on each other. I've found Norton and McAfee to be notorious in that respect, but could run AVG and Avast together without a hitch. Some just don't play nice with others. If you're not knowledgeable about computers, best to stick with the Unix philosophy: one tool for one task, but a good tool.
Thanatoz
Noble

Post by Thanatoz »

IE 8 clears a lot of problems, and is actually better than default firefox (though usually firefox users lock their system more with adblock and noscript, which is the safest way to browse if you also block cookies by default).

But yeah, switching browsers might help. Opera is very nice, but a minority of sites just aren't compatible with it, and due to their low market share developers aren't likely to start testing against it.

As for the rest, sound advice from Tarbo. And again the difference between anti-malware and anti-virus: multiple anti-virus tools is bad (like Norton and McAfee), because both hook their claws deeply in the system. This is needed to catch viruses, because oft they'll attack your antivirus and firewall first, and stop you from auto updating, just like the one on your pc did in one fell swoop by disabling applications. Anti-malware, which usually doesn't offer real time protection, you can have as many as you want, because most of them only "scan and delete".

Some sites also offer online scanners (google "online virus scanner") which you can use to scan your pc without any local installation. Excellent for the "not getting in eachothers way" part. Only use those from sites you recognize though (mcafee, norton, avast, avg, etc.), many malware sneaks in through some of those programs that claim to get rid of it. These are generally called "rogue anti-malware".

If you have doubts, google the program name, and look for comments beyond those of the "official" site. Don't thrust anything is a good philisophy on the web.

Also specific tools, like stinger, can help in locating certain hard to find trojans and the like. Also, by downloading CCleaner you can view a list of all programs installed (just like in Windows) and all programs starting up with your pc. Check those, and again google anything you don't recognize, even though they look official.

While it is possible you unknowingly did something yourself to cause the problem, some viruses do it too, and they are usually after your financial information. I find in such a case rather than correct the problem is have a thorough system check just to be on the safe side.

But then again, I work in IT so I'm paranoid about that kind of stuff. :P
Kefka
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Kefka »

Alright!
Got my computer running again. Thank you Thanatoz, you were a big help.Thanks for everyone who tried to help.