Women playing Warhammer

Got something to talk about? Be it video games, other tabletop or card games, even random stuff - this is the place to post!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

van Awful
Highborn

Post by van Awful »

Apart from my mates little sister trying a game or 2 with a borrowed army back in 5th ed. I can't say i really ever seen a girl playing WH.

Former GF's of mine had their own different opinions.

One enjoyed painting my druchii(and was quite skillfull) but didn'tget the game.
While an other called it a complete waste of money, "think of all the plane tickets you could have bought...."

But i had some positive reactions aswell, "nerds are the new surfers"... that one made laugh though.

The girl i'm dating now is an old D&D and magic geek herself!

On the average it's not something that impresses girls though! :)

I do notice more girls showing up in my LGS, but most of the time it's for the not so regular boardgames.
Nec spe, nec metu

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
van Awful
Highborn

Post by van Awful »

Another issue, certainly in my locality, is that girls were not allowed in the gaming rooms of GW stores (

What the fu....????
Nec spe, nec metu

Nightcall
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Nightcall »

Yeah, apparently it would be "distracting". Meh.
Casaythe Blackstorm - Warrior (Corsair) - Group 22
Skills: Awareness, Endurance
Equipment: Short Sword, Glaive, Medium Armour, Sea Dragon Cloak, Repeater Crossbow, clip of bolts [11/20], 405 gold, Talisman of Darkness, Tool Kit, 2 months' rations
Stats: WS4, S4, T5, D3, I4

Mod, Group 38
Noble korhedron
Empire General

Post by Noble korhedron »

I just spoke with a girl today in GW Dublin. Could be Pete's - the manager - GF as she certainly didn't get spoken to for going in back. Then again, maybe they've finally realised that we're not out to rob them blind and are getting a tiny bit more trusting of their regulars...?
Regards,

NK.

http://ulthuan.net/forum
http://warhammer.org.uk/phpBB/index.php
http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php
http://www.bartertown.com/trading/index.php

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.
van Awful
Highborn

Post by van Awful »

@ nightcall , madness!! unless ofcourse you where dancing on the table while they were trying to play a game...
Nec spe, nec metu

Kabbala
Warrior

Post by Kabbala »

My current GF loves Warhammer of both varieties! After about 6 months of playing with one of my armies, she has started to collect her own. So she's well on her way with about 2000 pts of Eldar and 1500 pts of Skaven. She thinks the wee lil rats are so cute! As her schedule allows, she'll even go the the LGS with me for a game or two! Awesome!
Nightcall

Post by Nightcall »

@dh'akor - No, no.... I'd never do a thing like that.*shifty eyes* :lol: Things ARE a lot better now, I even get nagged to turn up to gaming nights!

@Kabbala - Yaay, another one converted! That one's a keeper. ;)
Equipment: Short Sword, Glaive, Medium Armour, Sea Dragon Cloak, Repeater Crossbow, clip of bolts [11/20], 405 gold, Talisman of Darkness, Tool Kit, 2 months' rations

Mod, Group 38
Thetosh
Black Guard

Post by Thetosh »

My word Kabbala? A Female 40k Player that doesn't have Tyranids? That doesn't make sense to me...
Dangerous Beans
The Guiding Eye
Location: Sat drinking 'soul stealer' cocktails in the city of Vilebrier with Morathi...

Post by Dangerous Beans »

Nightcall wrote:Yeah, apparently it would be "distracting". Meh.
'Gee Dub' staff tend not to understand or appreciate beauty other than well painted armies... ;)

In other news, attended the UK Throne of Skulls GT this weekend [ego]where I picked up best Dark Elf Player but alas I digress... :P[/ego] there were 2 girls there playing armies and did very respectably with roughly 2-3 wins each out of 5 games with not so competitive armies!

Apart from the boyfriend system, how else can we try to promote getting girls into gaming? Its worked for computer games to a good extent though I have no real idea how other than popularity of 'simulation' games such as the sims...
Noble korhedron
Empire General

Post by Noble korhedron »

I would say maybe make the concession to the fact that girls seem to play a lot more 40K judging by what @thetosh said.... Although I've seen a few women and the most recent one I spoke to didn't play 'Nids - I think it was eldar...?
Regards,

NK.

http://ulthuan.net/forum
http://warhammer.org.uk/phpBB/index.php
http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php
http://www.bartertown.com/trading/index.php

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.
Saori_nightstar
Black Guard

Post by Saori_nightstar »

We played as a family growing up, it was our holiday/sunday thing - all Started with HERO QUEST!
(This paused for a bit while I went thro the typial teenage 'all i can think about is friends, boys and clubbing phase lol)
But yes we play & paint, & beat the boys, much to their dislike hahaha After a few years absence from the game (due to uni ect), we are back - again a great way to get the family together! We are basicly our own gaming Club thats been running on & off for about 12 years! LOL

It is kinda anoying whem you go into a GW store with your BF and they stop to chat to him and pass you by, hes clueless as he dont play LOL Im getting sed to it now - I think guys are shocked as i probs dont look like a typical gamer, esp a gal one LOL but I do think the 'sterotype' has gone out the window lately, 'Fantasy' is coming more to light, esp in books & films - with the latest vampire/werewolf phase.
So for me (even as a girl), I do not feel im a minority in the game as such, out of the 12 players I know well, and 8 that play often - we make up 4 of them :D
But im now trying to get the boy firend into it - playing O&G.

So yea, Gals who play:

* My Step mother - Tomb Kings
* My Step Sisiter - Wood Elves & Lizardmen
* My Self - Dark Elves (naturally :twisted:)
* Even My Step Grandma - Dwarfs (tho shes more a LOTR painter, but she still manages to get a game of warhammer in) lol

Also a girl at my secondary school also played (tho i neva played a game with her) - Undead at the time!
Image Image Image
Lil' Waaagh Army | DRUCHII PLOG

'I may have the week and feeble body of a woman, I but I can assure you, I have the heart and stomach of a King!' - Elizabeth I
Gnosis
Hard, but Fair

Post by Gnosis »

Saori_Nightstar wrote:* My Step mother - Tomb Kings
* My Step Sisiter - Wood Elves & Lizardmen
* My Self - Dark Elves (naturally :twisted:)
* Even My Step Grandma - Dwarfs (tho shes more a LOTR painter, but she still manages to get a game of warhammer in) lol

It does beat quilting. Do the men in your family play it as well?
Count them:

Painted in 2013: 500
Painted in 2014: 600
Painted in 2015: 854
Saori_nightstar
Black Guard

Post by Saori_nightstar »

Gnosis wrote:It does beat quilting. Do the men in your family play it as well?

Yea of course they do lol

my dad, my 4 brothers and 2 family friends, a step uncle lol I was just listing the women as thats what the thread was about lol
Image Image Image
Lil' Waaagh Army | DRUCHII PLOG

'I may have the week and feeble body of a woman, I but I can assure you, I have the heart and stomach of a King!' - Elizabeth I
Nightcall

Post by Nightcall »

Saori - I envy you... my family think the hobby is for "saddos" :lol:

Mod, Group 38
Kabbala
Warrior

Post by Kabbala »

Man, I want to come over to Nightcall family game night! But on my own end, after overhearing myself and a coworker talk about Warhammer, a female coworker and my GF split the Island Of Blood set and she is well on her way to 1000 pts of painted High Elves already. Her first game is with us this weekend!
Malacine
Slave on the Altar

Post by Malacine »

Perhaps a ladies' night would be in order? Personally, I find that GW staff especially - although I know they need to get their sales, and I hate mobile phone shop staff for the same reason- but male gamers often can be a little overbearing, and that's offputting. Just as often they are lovely, if course- please don't get me wrong! But in my opinion, a few ladies only events would work wonders for WIW (women into warhammer). I don't think it has anything to do with the fluff or the kill kill kill element, but seeing other women involved can only be a good thing!
Nightcall

Post by Nightcall »

Haha, you'd have to make a ladies gaming club and call it "Sisters of Battle!"

But then by doing that, it's only enhancing the segregation. :/ I'd rather teach the lads some manners ;)

Mod, Group 38
Malacine
Slave on the Altar

Post by Malacine »

Weell I think it'd only enhance segregation if you did it the same night/afternoon/whatever as the regular group meets. If you did it a different night you could get the best of both worlds. That's just my idea for it anyway... the cynic in me says you might be hard pressed getting enough ladies together anyway!
Nightcall

Post by Nightcall »

Mhm, would be good if you mixed it up. And I totally understand your point... that it may encourage the shyer gamers to have a go. Sadly I think you're right with the last bit; none of my girly friends are into it, bar one who had a go at painting and likes the books. She lives about 400 miles away!

Mod, Group 38
Gnosis
Hard, but Fair

Post by Gnosis »

My girlfriend paints a couple of Dwarfs from Battle for Skull Pass from time to time when she accompanies me to a store. I recently got her the OOP Queen Helga model, so she has a very suitable general now :)
Count them:

Painted in 2013: 500
Painted in 2014: 600
Painted in 2015: 854
Dark Alliance
Morathi's Favoured
Morathi's Favoured

Post by Dark Alliance »