Wound Up Players

Got something to talk about? Be it video games, other tabletop or card games, even random stuff - this is the place to post!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

L1qw1d
Malekith's Personal Guard

Wound Up Players

Post by L1qw1d »

Let me preface this prior to discussion. I have depression. Not the wacky Manic depression or ADHD or anything like that- I'm just kind of a bummer to be around ( lol ).

That having been said, I ran into- not a BAD player, or a tourney ruining player- but just one that was REALLY wound up. Like... half rules lawyer, half 'In Yo Face!' cheering winner type (which would make me wonder what happened if he had LOST).

Being a fairly introverted person, I would like some assistance in how to handle this type of person. I can handle losing. This was... weird (not horrible and unpleasant. I've just honestly never run into someone THAT into the win at my age group. I felt it was wrong to treat him like one of the 12 year olds...)
Oderint dum Metuant.
xFallenx
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by xFallenx »

Unfortunately, you just have to let these players slide off of your back. Keep in mind that we're all different, it's rarely worth the stress.... sometimes easier said than done.
Oct 2013-Current: 3-2-0
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

May I suggest to politely tell at latest in turn 2:
"Sorry, there's a mistake. I did not come here to play the kind of game you seem to appreciate, but to have fun. Can you adapt to that?"

If it is not enough, in turn 3, you can add:
"There's no point in losing more of our time together.
I concede. Compliments, you won.
Good luck in finding another opponent."

Anyway, you know that your day is ruined. At least, it prepares for a better day next time.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

It reminds me a bit of an episode of Big Bang Theory (Series 1, episode 7: The Dumpling Paradox)

"Penny: Gosh, he’s kind of a sore loser, isn’t he?
Leonard: Well, to be fair, he is also a rather unpleasant winner."

Unfortunately some folks don't understand the concept of having fun. There's a guy at my local gaming group who is a really nice person in day-to-day life, but is awful when it comes to games. If he loses, he throws his toys out of the pram, blaming everything and anything from bad luck or poor terrain setup to you being a cheesy player or boring player. If he wins, he seems to delight in pointing out all of the mistakes you made. Add to that the joyous quirk of complaining from more or less the start of the game (yes, even in deployment would you believe) that he has lost and even pseudo conceding several times during a game (usually he'll start playing again after a minute or two, although I have a couple of times in the past simply said 'ok', packed up my stuff and claimed the win). He is almost never as badly off as he claims to be and will quite often go on to win the game; he then sort of berates you for having managed to be so incompetent as to lose when you were - apparently - in such a dominating position. All in all it's a bit of an ego kicking and not a lot of fun.

Unfortunately, I do have the misfortune to have to play him every now and then. I've found the best thing to do is bite my lip, roll my eyes when he's not looking and bluster on as best I can. Those folks are out there - there's not a lot you can do about it sometimes, other than shrug your shoulders, know you're the better person, know that everyone else also knows what a pain in the backside they are to play against, and look forward to your next game with a more fun opponent.
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
xFallenx
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by xFallenx »

^^ Elegantly said.
Oct 2013-Current: 3-2-0
L1qw1d
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by L1qw1d »

that makes perfect sense actually. found out he also does this on Ticket to Ride :lol:
Oderint dum Metuant.