Tapatalk?

Got something to talk about? Be it video games, other tabletop or card games, even random stuff - this is the place to post!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Ragian Cain
Highborn

Tapatalk?

Post by Ragian Cain »

Can we get this forum on Tapatalk for mobile forum action?

If so, how?
Rork
Lord of Khorne
Lord of Khorne

Re: Tapatalk?

Post by Rork »

Well, I hadn't heard of it until I read this (I was aware of ForumRunner).

By the looks of it, we have to install an add-on for the forum. My concern is that the free version seems poorly received while the paid-for version is expensive.

I'd be interested in people's views and usage of mobile devices when using the site.

"Rork.. a wonderful guy :)" - Linda Lobsta Defenda

+++ Team Mulligans +++
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

I use the standard browser on my phone (right now) and its working great. Honestly I really diislike all the "mobile friendly" websites and switch to their full view all the time.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Darkgul
Corsair

Post by Darkgul »

Warseer is one of the major sites that supports it. Im quite fond of it because eveything loads faster and its easier to read on a small screen. Just as its supposed to do..

If its a simple add on im all for it! I just thought there was a lot of coding work coming with it.. I wouldnt mind donating too if there's a cost attached to it.
Ragian Cain
Highborn

Post by Ragian Cain »

Darkgul wrote:Warseer is one of the major sites that supports it. Im quite fond of it because eveything loads faster and its easier to read on a small screen. Just as its supposed to do..

If its a simple add on im all for it! I just thought there was a lot of coding work coming with it.. I wouldnt mind donating too if there's a cost attached to it.

Agreed!
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

Rork wrote:By the looks of it, we have to install an add-on for the forum. My concern is that the free version seems poorly received while the paid-for version is expensive.
I'd be interested in people's views and usage of mobile devices when using the site.

We could support Tapatalk, but then only tapatalk users would benefit from it. There does seem to be a negative vibe about the free Tapatalk mod, but those issues seem old. I struggle to find any accurate and up to date information.

We could also implement a mobile interface, either by editing an existing one or making one. IMO support for mobile devices should be provided on Dnet. If not now, then at least a plan should be made for the future. I see more gamers bring tablets or smartphones to the table. With apps providing electronic army lists and tablets holding rulebooks, we can expect the demand for a mobile interface for Dnet to increase.

Either way, mobile support has been on my radar for some time. I simply lacked the time to implement it "the way I wanted to". I would agree wholeheartedly that it's time to implement some form of support for it.
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
xFallenx
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by xFallenx »

Daeron wrote:We could support Tapatalk, but then only tapatalk users would benefit from it. There does seem to be a negative vibe about the free Tapatalk mod, but those issues seem old. I struggle to find any accurate and up to date information.

We could also implement a mobile interface, either by editing an existing one or making one. IMO support for mobile devices should be provided on Dnet. If not now, then at least a plan should be made for the future. I see more gamers bring tablets or smartphones to the table. With apps providing electronic army lists and tablets holding rulebooks, we can expect the demand for a mobile interface for Dnet to increase.

Either way, mobile support has been on my radar for some time. I simply lacked the time to implement it "the way I wanted to". I would agree wholeheartedly that it's time to implement some form of support for it.

This, I haven't tried it yet, but it makes sense to start looking into mobile support. I use a smartphone for my lists & tablet for my RB's but have, to date, steered clear of websites due to weakness of navigation/font size type issues. Maybe Tapatalk is the answer, I’ll have to try the free app. That being said, there is no way I’m paying the price they want for the upgraded version, I don’t need to surf the net on my phone that bad, but I’m an old, cheap, curmudgeon.
Oct 2013-Current: 3-2-0
Rork
Lord of Khorne
Lord of Khorne

Post by Rork »

We're all a bit cheap, really ;). I'd certainly prefer a more general purpose online interface than relying on 3rd party software.

"Rork.. a wonderful guy :)" - Linda Lobsta Defenda

+++ Team Mulligans +++
Cerebros
Dark Rider

Post by Cerebros »

I recently bought Tapatalk 4 for my Android Smartphone when it went on sale and to be honest I can't say I was particularly impressed with it - I ended up uninstalling it in the end as browsing forums in the Chrome browser is a lot more straightforward (just go into the options and check the box for "Request Desktop Site" if a forum's mobile browser setup annoying, like I did Warseer's)
Looking for a tournament? Check out the Wargame Tournaments Website or follow @WargameWebsite on Twitter