Let me get this straight....

Got something to talk about? Be it video games, other tabletop or card games, even random stuff - this is the place to post!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Kurze
Black Guard

Let me get this straight....

Post by Kurze »

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catal ... od2250132a

I have to have the standard chaos marine codex in order to use this supplimentary codex, and you still want to charge the same price as a regular "full" codex?

I was looking forward to perhaps getting a Codex for my long serving Night Lords (17 years!) but at the same price as a stand alone, I think not.

Im sorry GW, enough is enough. You guys suck the big one.

Very dissapointed.
We are the pilgrims master, we shall always go a little further

[PLOG]. http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t= ... ight=kurze
Rork
Lord of Khorne
Lord of Khorne

Re: Let me get this straight....

Post by Rork »

Fear not, for GW will just scrap it in a few years time and leave you with a beautifully generic army...

Not that I'm bitter about losing my Seer Council, oh no.

I should also move this to Off Topic. Maybe 40k. Hmm. (Are price rants even on topic? :lol:)

"Rork.. a wonderful guy :)" - Linda Lobsta Defenda

+++ Team Mulligans +++
Amarok
Executioner

Post by Amarok »

Yeah that's pretty crazy. Presumably they justify the price with it being a 72 page full colour hard back.

The eBook version is £19.99. It does not state if it has the same content (gallery etc etc), and I also couldn't find it on the GW website, I could only find it on the Black Library website (but perhaps I wasn't looking hard enough). Not the same (I prefer media I can hold), but there you go.

I'm not generally one for GW bashing, but some prices do seem to be spiraling out of control. To add insult to injury, I have also just moved back home (NZ) after five years in the UK (the last year in Notts). The difference in prices (which has been well documented in endless pages of forum nerd rage) is pretty hard to swallow.

Cue much wailing and gnashing of teeth....
Overwhelmed as one would be, placed in my position.
Such a heavy burden now to be the One.
Born to bear and bring to all the details of our ending,
To write it down for all the world to see...

But I forgot my pen...
Kargan daemonclaw
Highborn

Post by Kargan daemonclaw »

That's why you buy your product from a UK retailer with 20% off, get them to ship it to your NZ post supplied mailign address, then they send it to you. You save about 25% NZ retail.
Amarok
Executioner

Post by Amarok »

From my understanding, GW has prohibited most online retailers (i.e Wayland Games et al) from shipping to non EU addresses for this exact reason. To quote from Wayland Games -

Ships To: Due to the GW trade terms we regret to inform customers that we can only ship this product to the following countries: [EU]. Orders of this product to countries other than those listed will result in the item being cancelled from the order and your payment for it refunded.

Otherwise that would be a great. Hmm, I might have to enlist the help of my mother in law....

I do hope GW continue releasing supplements aimed at expanding on background like the 40k supplements, fun games/campaigns like Sigmar's Blood (I have very fond memories of the Circle of Blood), as well as just the supplements aimed at getting us to spend more (IMO Apocalypse). I just hope they don't price them out of the common man's reach.
Overwhelmed as one would be, placed in my position.
Such a heavy burden now to be the One.
Born to bear and bring to all the details of our ending,
To write it down for all the world to see...

But I forgot my pen...
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

Amarok wrote:From my understanding, GW has prohibited most online retailers (i.e Wayland Games et al) from shipping to non EU addresses for this exact reason. To quote from Wayland Games -

There is a niche to be filled here ...
Truly These are the End Times ...
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Yeah... if you're in EU, strike a deal with one of the discount retailers... this way you're not getting the product from GW and you can resell it wherever you please.

Or you can just use eBay
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Gnosis
Hard, but Fair

Post by Gnosis »

The prices are indeed exorbitant. My LGS will be closing down because of the fact that no one around here can still pay for the hobby except one or two older guys. I can't imagine what it's like in Australia and NZ.
Count them:

Painted in 2013: 500
Painted in 2014: 600
Painted in 2015: 854
Kurze
Black Guard

Post by Kurze »

Most of the guys I know don't buy GW minis anymore, unless it's off trade me (kiwi version of eBay)
Also we have discovered The joy that is aliexpress... Cheap as chips
We are the pilgrims master, we shall always go a little further

[PLOG]. http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t= ... ight=kurze
Gnosis
Hard, but Fair

Post by Gnosis »

Same here, most guys I know switched over to historicals or yet other hobbies. Those that still go to WHFB/40k tournaments tend to collect their models from garage sales and second hand websites.

You know, it's really sad. Before the advent of the hardback armybooks I collected each and every one of them just to be up to speed on the other armies, and at 17,50 euro per book it was a decent investment. Now that they're stupidly expensive I don't see anyone do this anymore. And I really don't care for the hardback format, the increasingly inane writing or the full colour pages which are usually digitally coloured versions of black-and-white artwork from previous editions. And don't get me started on printing costs - I can get a full colour, nicely illustrated hardback rulebook from (among many others) Warlord Games numbering between 200 and 300 pages for the same price as a 100-page GW armybook. Printing costs usually go down the bigger the printing run, and I can't imagine Warlord Games selling more of their rulebooks than GW's armybooks and codices.
Count them:

Painted in 2013: 500
Painted in 2014: 600
Painted in 2015: 854