Ideas for a Warhammer Campaign

Got something to talk about? Be it video games, other tabletop or card games, even random stuff - this is the place to post!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

TheSupremePatriarch
Executioner

Ideas for a Warhammer Campaign

Post by TheSupremePatriarch »

Hey guys, my local GW is thinking of putting together a campaign and I was trying to come up with some ideas for a structured campaign, was wondering if I could pick your brains.

The last campaign we had would have worked well if more people had been involved. It used the hex tiles to create a map using the Mighty Empires book, I think it was. Started off with 1k games, you had a hero who was your general and as you won battles you gained more tiles, and your general gained bonuses either for the next game or for the campaign. If your general died you rolled on a chart to see what negative effects he had for the next game. The games slowly got bigger, 1.5k, then 2k then 2.4k and it was working towards a Storm of Magic game, whereby every extra tile you had got you another 50 points to spend on your army for the final battle.

The main problem was the few people actually involved in the campaign never turned up for the final battle, it ended up being an Empire-Tomb Kings army of 10k facing 5 or 6 Lizardman armies coming to 10k...we were facing 1 Slann, 1 Carnosaur, the odd Stegadon and loads of Saurus and Skinks.

Anyways, trying to come up with something else and initially it was going to be something working towards a Triumph and Treachery game involving everyone, I thought it'd be a bit weird to slowly build from 1k to 2.4k games, only to switch back to 1k for T&T.

So I was thinking something along the lines of starting off with a 1k T&T game involving everyone. If everyone joins in, there should be 2 games of 5 people. Whoever wins will start on the campaign map with an extra tile. Then we jump to 1.5k games, where everyone should be able to field a Lord - one of the things I found weird in the last one was having a hero who was more important than a Lord, when your General should also be the highest Ld value in the army. Right so then it would work on the basis of fighting battle at 1.5k, then 2k, then 2.4k. Every battle you win gets you an extra tile. If you try to take a tile from another player, they get some sort of advantage over you. I was thinking maybe an extra 100-200 points or no restrictions on core or something. Still follows the same basis as the last one whereby your general receives perks providing he doesn't die. Builds up to a Storm of Magic game, which will be done on a Thursday so people actually come.

I was just wondering if you guys had any tips of ideas? The main problem I can foresee is what perks/negatives to give and what to do if it comes to Storm of Magic and one side has far more victories than the other, meaning it's stupidly unbalanced. Also working on alliances, so it'll be forces of Order against Disorder, but I think the main meta is weighed one way. Apologies for the essay just trying to give as much info as possible :P here's a smiley face which I've never used but always find amusing. :burns:
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Re: Ideas for a Warhammer Campaign

Post by Amboadine »

Rather than give away a points advantage for the final game, consider other options. Such as the a tile you have won from a previous round, lets you move scenery 6" , change the scenery type or define the number of fulcrums in each deployment area.
Advantages certainly, but not to the point where you have significant imbalance.
direweasel
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by direweasel »

These rules are 10+ years old, and for a previous edition of WHFB, but most of it would still apply with a few little tweaks. You might give it a look for inspiration. We played 3 full campaigns using these rules at a local game store, and had no end of fun.

http://mama.indstate.edu/users/python/ankath/
Chinese Relativity Axiom: No matter how glorious your triumphs, nor how miserable your failures, there will always be at least one billion people in China who don't give a damn.

Apocalypse Drow! Plog: http://druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75360
TheSupremePatriarch
Executioner

Post by TheSupremePatriarch »

Amboadine wrote:Rather than give away a points advantage for the final game, consider other options. Such as the a tile you have won from a previous round, lets you move scenery 6" , change the scenery type or define the number of fulcrums in each deployment area.
Advantages certainly, but not to the point where you have significant imbalance.

well the points imbalance shouldn't really exist, we're hopefully doing it with equal numbers for forces of order and destruction. anyone who is unaligned will join the side with smaller points. even then, there may end up being a slight points difference of 200-500 odd points. in this case, the side with slightly fewer points will decide who deploys and goes first, to even it out. at least that's what i'm hoping :P

direweasel wrote:These rules are 10+ years old, and for a previous edition of WHFB, but most of it would still apply with a few little tweaks. You might give it a look for inspiration. We played 3 full campaigns using these rules at a local game store, and had no end of fun.

http://mama.indstate.edu/users/python/ankath/

I'm at work but literally just about to have a glance through this - cheers :)