I have made a terrible mistake.

Got something to talk about? Be it video games, other tabletop or card games, even random stuff - this is the place to post!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Red...
Generalissimo

Re: I have made a terrible mistake.

Post by Red... »

Of course, but I've made the mistake before of settling down for employment that pays a moderately high amount, but working in a field I didn't care about, doing a kind of job that I was rapidly becoming disinterested in. Now I'm making less cash in absolute terms, but am doing a job I really like in a field I feel passionate about - it's a lot better :)
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
marcopollo
Assassin

Post by marcopollo »

Dyvim tvar wrote:
Red... wrote:Of course, some would move off those two axis altogether by arguing that the best job is the one that makes you the most amount of money. That is possibly true, but I wouldn't recommend it.

I would not go that far, but money does need to be a consideration.

If you are doing something you are happy with but can't feed yourself doing it, that's also a recipe for unhappiness.

How does the saying go: --

"Money can't buy you happiness, but you can park your yacht next to it".

A little bit of economical sense goes along way when you are entering your field of work for the first time. And, as with everything, there are trade-offs in decision making. Getting a good education has many rewards. Even if you are being educated in fields that you don't particularly enjoy, that doesn't mean that you have to go down that route in the end. But having the credential illustrates that you have perseverance, and polish.

I work in an environment where 2/3 the employees have one or more university degree, and where 1/3 don't. It quickly becomes very clear who exactly those people are by the way they speak and the professionalism they take with themselves into their jobs. I have friends in both camps, but when I want to engage in professional dialogue, I prefer my university educated colleagues by and large.

And now that I have my masters. It becomes even more clear who the others with masters degrees are by the way they speak and carry themselves. And, when problem solving amongst the staff, the masters degree people are generally more sophisticated and effective in their approaches than those without.

So stick with your education. You may not use it directly, but most probably will use it indirectly in ways that are hard to imagine at the start.
Rork
Lord of Khorne
Lord of Khorne

Post by Rork »

Red... wrote:Of course, but I've made the mistake before of settling down for employment that pays a moderately high amount, but working in a field I didn't care about, doing a kind of job that I was rapidly becoming disinterested in. Now I'm making less cash in absolute terms, but am doing a job I really like in a field I feel passionate about - it's a lot better :)

Which is something I need to think about doing. My current job is taking over my life (teaching, Rork-watchers) and it's the sort of job that can take its toll.

It remains to be seen what is available to teachers...but I think I must have a few options (He says, hopefully).

"Rork.. a wonderful guy :)" - Linda Lobsta Defenda

+++ Team Mulligans +++