How do you keep the hobby alive?

Got something to talk about? Be it video games, other tabletop or card games, even random stuff - this is the place to post!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

How do you keep the hobby alive?

Post by Daeron »

I've been struggling with the hobby for a few months now. I had a good pace going, but then a few changes around the house made me move some of my stuff to "a box".. and since I struggle to unload the box and get back into it. It seems I lost my little corner to work with the hobby. Additionally, a new computer had me firing up a game quicker than wetting a brush.
A lack of interest from my usual gaming buddies to keep the gaming going doesn't exactly help.

In an attempt to get back in the game, I think I'll start with a good clean up of all the models I have, making more room. When there's room to work, it's more inviting to get started (like it's more inviting to work your tools when they're cleaned up :P )
Meanwhile I started theorycrafting a bit again and programming for it. For some reason, that always entertains me and keeps me dreaming about the game.

It's a silly thing, but I thought, heck.. why not post about it and see what the community does? How do you bring the hobby back after a hiatus?
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
Mornedhel
Cabal without a cause

Re: How do you keep the hobby alive?

Post by Mornedhel »

I had my miniatures packed away for quite a while, too. What made me buy a glass cabinet and buy more and more minis was having a good place to go to - a game store around the corner. Now I go there almost every day when I'm taking a break from work or in the evening, mostly just to talk to people. But it keeps my interest up, since I know I can get a game in whenever I like, and I stay up to date on the newest stuff without having to discuss it via the web.
It´s nice to be important, but it´s more important to be nice.
direweasel
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by direweasel »

After our local game store closed, I got out of the game for almost 10 solid years. I would occasionally paint, but more often I was painting stuff for our weekly D&D and Pathfinder game. I needed to finish Gnoll warriors more than I needed my 59th Witch Elf done. I still played Blood Bowl, but Warhammer is a little tougher to do in your own house. Not impossible, but tougher. Some of my minis went the way of eBay, while still keeping the core of my army together.

So I definitely understand the question. The answer is simply one of prioritization. If you want it bad enough, you will make it happen. If you make it enough of a priority, and you can find at least one other person who does too, then you will play.

If you DON'T want it bad enough, then why are you asking the question? :)
Chinese Relativity Axiom: No matter how glorious your triumphs, nor how miserable your failures, there will always be at least one billion people in China who don't give a damn.

Apocalypse Drow! Plog: http://druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75360
Fr0
Trademaster

Post by Fr0 »

Similar issue, most of the friends I used to game with have moved away and the one that remains always has something else on the go. We are both very interested in playing still; we get the new books when they come out and make tonnes of lists, but never end up playing or painting like we plan on doing. On top of that, we've got video games that are just easier and faster to fire up.

I'm not here nearly as much as I was say, 7-8 years ago but sometimes I read a good thread or see some really well painted models that make me bust mine out, set them up and start reading/making rosters. Last time that happened, I got really interested. I made unit bases, primed units and got excited to game... That was like four months ago and now my models are sitting there collecting dust. Like most things, I just need to tell myself I want to do it and do it.

I really miss playing this game. :(
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

I have been playing Warhammer a very long time, in fact pretty much from the start. During that time I have taken many a break and dipped in and out of 40k.
Last break lasted a couple of years, where I would periodically check out the forums and occasional WD.
What generally gets me back is seeing a nice mini or a new edition.
Having recently moved I am starting to try and get back up and running, but only find time to play sporadically. This combined with the amount of sports I am now playing and a very heavy workload I have at the moment, something has to give.
So much I want to get painted and I would love to get more games in.
Khazmando
Trainee Warrior

Post by Khazmando »

I'm only back to GW products this year after quite some time off.

I've plenty to paint so figure taking regular breaks so I don't neglect my partner, and not be overwhelmed. So I'll paint in spurts or only for a couple of hours an evening. Take a few days out and go back. I keep my minis, brushes and paints out on the desk in the spare room. It's a welcoming sight when I nip in for a wee session.

I need to buy a station rack or something as I'm in danger of overcrowding, but my desk is overall an inviting place. I look forward to sitting there with a small goal in mind.

I take great inspiration from the members of this community, and those Warhammer pages on faceache, to keep MIT fresh, interesting and mildly addictive.

One day, I'll get a game in too. Something to look forward too!
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Right now I'm going through a small burnout myself, after doing hobby on a very high setting for months up to Buckeye Battles last month. I'm slowly getting back into the groove of painting or building a little every day but you may or may not have noticed a lack of updates on my PLOG. Mostly because in that month I've painted a 3rd of a model (granted it's a big one) while before Buckeye I painted 20 executioners in a week :P

The thing that keeps me going is the same thing that keeps anyone going with any non-video game. The people you play with. I know I can swing by our gaming store on any Wednesday and get a game in. I know I can post on our forums or facebook page and have an ok chance of getting a game during the weekend.

But, when you have nobody to play against... well, then why would you want to paint that 24th witch elf? Who knows when she'll see the battlefield?

So for me it's the people and the community. When I move to a new place, the first thing I do is scout out gaming locations and local groups.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Cold73
Highborn

Post by Cold73 »

Will admit i'm glad to hear that i'm not the only one with these feelings.
Have been going through that stage for the last couple of months.
It was a huge swing for me to go from 1-2 battles a week to 1 battle a month.

But I've been looking and found a few new players at the local GW. (Mostly new players hopping over from 40k, so beginners mostly)
But also found a group organizing monthy tournaments in a nearby city.

@Daeron...sorry mate...Brussels is a bit far from Rotterdam for a drive over ;-)
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
Rork
Lord of Khorne
Lord of Khorne

Post by Rork »

Getting games has been hard. I still like playing WH, but finding clubs where there are a decent number of players is tricky, especially as I don't play 40k any more. My armies are painted and until the Skaven are redone I don't have much need to paint anything else (well, I should probably retouch my Chaos Knights...).

I used to buy all the army books, but now they're crazily priced, I don't want to spend £200+ on books I will barely use. I've been to a few events this year, and will hopefully get some more games at the end of the month.

Hopefully I'll find a club where I can get a consistent number of games in. I've been playing for 21 years now, and don't really have any desire to stop!

"Rork.. a wonderful guy :)" - Linda Lobsta Defenda

+++ Team Mulligans +++