Fighting in real armour

Got something to talk about? Be it video games, other tabletop or card games, even random stuff - this is the place to post!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Fighting in real armour

Post by Calisson »

... described in French.
http://www.sciencesetavenir.fr/archeo-p ... n-age.html
Still, have a look to the video.
A scientist made an armour after those found in museums, to challenge the urban legends that they were too bulky to do anything.
Enjoy !
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
direweasel
Malekith's Personal Guard

Re: Fighting in real armour

Post by direweasel »

That's indeed a lot more mobility than I would have anticipated. The tumbling/acrobatics maneuvering was an eye-opening bit particularly.

Still it's a lot of weight to lug around on a hot battlefield all day, and your perception has to be vastly reduced when you can only see out of a tiny slit, and your ears are covered completely. I would guess it to be much easier to ambush someone in full plate like that.
Chinese Relativity Axiom: No matter how glorious your triumphs, nor how miserable your failures, there will always be at least one billion people in China who don't give a damn.

Apocalypse Drow! Plog: http://druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75360
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne
Location: Hinterlands of Khuresh; The Lost City of the Angels

Post by T.D. »

Nice one Calisson.

I saw a re-enactment tournament a few years ago in England where the competitors just bet each other up with axes, two handed swords and halberds. It was badass!
OldHammer Advanced Ruleset
- Adding Tactical Depth to Your Favourite Tabletop Wargame
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Nice link. Thanks for sharing :)
Saintofm
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Saintofm »

Great Visuals. I wish I could read french. I knew knights could be quite maneuverable, and could pick themselves up, but I was still impressed witht he rolling. Also despite knowing seiging castles was 90% of medieval warfare, I never really imagined knights climbing thirty feet into the air with ease but these guys did so on a one not much bigger then is in my garage.
Who needs sanity? I have a Hydra
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

They say in the text that for war, they wore 35kg armour, i.e. little bit less than a US Marine Corps on the battlefield.
Armour was thick in helmet and chest plate, and less thick for members. Overall, the 35kg were very well balanced all around the body.
During tournaments, they wore a heavier armour, 40kg, more protected.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Tarbo
Morathi's Best Friend
Morathi's Best Friend

Post by Tarbo »

(feels smug about knowing French) ;)

I've never really understood where the popular myth came from that knights were immobile or couldn't pick themselves up. If anything, anything humanity gets right, it's how to better and faster kill other people. You can't do that making sand angels, trying to get up.

Still, cool video, good find! Laughed at the ladder climbing; you could put that right into an absurd sketch comedy show. With some sweet ragtime music, too.

Thanks for sharing!
Saintofm
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Saintofm »

@ Tarbo: If I had to guess its two fold.

1. The general belief that all our ancestors, especially European ones in the dark ages, were bumbling idiots to some degree. Part of this is it is hard to conceive of them being as advance as they really were in our time and age, and this has been the case probably as long as the Renaissance when the shift to newer knowledge was better then older knowledge.

2. The average person sees a man in an iron suit that must weigh a little over a hundred pounds and just focus on that instead of the fact that the weight is distributed and that the warriors within them were training for such warfare since they were about 7.
Who needs sanity? I have a Hydra
Christoph
Trainee Warrior

Post by Christoph »

I've fought in different types of armor before. While it's far from pleasant (let's be honest, it's hot and annoying and generally sucks), that naturally didn't stop me from, you know, actually fighting. The unpleasantness is better than dying and it's a darn good workout!