Is the End Times getting you down?

Got something to talk about? Be it video games, other tabletop or card games, even random stuff - this is the place to post!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne
Location: Hinterlands of Khuresh; The Lost City of the Angels

Is the End Times getting you down?

Post by T.D. »

Has your most heroic Warhammer icon been turned into dust? Crestfallen over the annihiliation of all of your favourite special characters? Raging over the re-writing of the motives of your most emotionally invested Warhammer legend? Bereft with the destruction of hallowed fluff? Crying over the ruination of Kislev? Worried about the George R. R. Martin-inspired direction GW is taking your beloved hobby? Reading too much into Warseer rumours? Having nightmares about Nagash!?

Raina, Nana and Lizzy aka Orange Caramel have provided the antidote to all Grimdark with their new fun and games filled MV:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqSF_9Zf0n4

:mrgreen:
OldHammer Advanced Ruleset
- Adding Tactical Depth to Your Favourite Tabletop Wargame
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Re: Is the End Times getting you down?

Post by Amboadine »

Not sure really how to comment about the video :)

Personally I am in favour of the reboot. Surprising in places but I want to see a return to the days where the fluff moved on regularly.
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

The fluff never moved on regularly, in fact AFAIK it never really moved on at all. Between 3rd edition (just a single army book for all races) and 4th edition (first edition with individual army books - I think High Elves were first IIRC), they created a huge raft of fluff that simply didn't exist up until that point (I remember reading the story of Aenarion and being riveted by it). I don't think they've ever actually moved it on since (just slimmed down how much you get given in each army book *sigh*). So a reboot is not a case of going back to something they did before but stopped doing, but rather totally new ground for GW in Fantasy (again, AFAIK).
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

I've played since 5th and fluff moved twice.
Storm of Chaos - which was retconned
and Albion - which was never mentioned again afterwards

I'm happy to see the story finally moving forward after years of watching events in D&D books actually affect the world and organized play also having long lasting results in the setting.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne

Post by T.D. »

Amboadine wrote:Not sure really how to comment about the video :)

Different people like different things :P

But in time I'm sure these girls are capable of melting even the evillest of Druchii hearts !lol!

Amboadine wrote:Personally I am in favour of the reboot. Surprising in places but I want to see a return to the days where the fluff moved on regularly.

Red... wrote:The fluff never moved on regularly, in fact AFAIK it never really moved on at all. Between 3rd edition (just a single army book for all races) and 4th edition (first edition with individual army books - I think High Elves were first IIRC), they created a huge raft of fluff that simply didn't exist up until that point (I remember reading the story of Aenarion and being riveted by it). I don't think they've ever actually moved it on since (just slimmed down how much you get given in each army book *sigh*). So a reboot is not a case of going back to something they did before but stopped doing, but rather totally new ground for GW in Fantasy (again, AFAIK).

Dalamar wrote:I've played since 5th and fluff moved twice.
Storm of Chaos - which was retconned
and Albion - which was never mentioned again afterwards

I'm happy to see the story finally moving forward after years of watching events in D&D books actually affect the world and organized play also having long lasting results in the setting.

Yeah, I remember the big retelling of the Elven story at the launch of 4th, and it was great. Most of the characters developed for 4th are (or were) still alive over twenty years later -- on a world of constant warfare -- so some GOT-style culling may be a very good thing. I've only skim read some of the new fluff in my local store so far, but I'm liking this whole End Times concept.

/back on topic

If Teclis had been really clever he should have teleported Orange Caramel into the Warhammer World. That way there would have been no need to sacrifice the Everchild or rebirth Nagash, and once high speed cable was installed for the Kurgan and Hung the forces of Chaos would have been stopped once and for all.

Why go on a Black Crusade for Unholy Gods when you can watch OC videos instead? :P
Dragon9
Assassin

Post by Dragon9 »

I'm not down about it so far. And if the rumors of the Chaos book having a new Cult of Slaanesh list for DE in it are true, I will be dancing in the streets.
"The dark elves have everything cool. They are pirate blood cultist ninjas riding dinosaurs and flinging magic. They're metal. They're the most metal race out there, rivaled only by Warriors of Chaos. They bring a cauldron of boiling blood onto the battlefield. You don't get much more metal than that." -- Mostlyharmless on Warseer

My Blog: A Small World - My Life in Miniatures

Image Image
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Dragon9 wrote:I'm not down about it so far. And if the rumors of the Chaos book having a new Cult of Slaanesh list for DE in it are true, I will be dancing in the streets.

I think you may find we have enough people dancing to form a lengthy conga line if that little rumour comes true.
Rork
Lord of Khorne
Lord of Khorne

Post by Rork »

Dragon9 wrote:I'm not down about it so far. And if the rumors of the Chaos book having a new Cult of Slaanesh list for DE in it are true, I will be dancing in the streets.

End times including a Cult of Slaanesh? Yeah, seen that before...that's right GW, I'm looking at you.

:evil:

"Rork.. a wonderful guy :)" - Linda Lobsta Defenda

+++ Team Mulligans +++
Gidean
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Gidean »

Personally not down with any of this EoT crap . The Games Workshop writers have a very dark outlook on the struggle of good versus evil. But considering the 40K universe this is no surprise. Seriously. I use to play 40K. One day it Dawned on me. There were NO good guys. NONE. Zip! Nada! The whole universe was degrees of evil. I guess Fantasy has just gone that way. When you have a story where Teclis sacrifices his beloved brother's daughter to bring in one evil to fight another. Damn! This makes George Martin look like a romance novel author. !mad!
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Gidean, there were never any good guys in the Fantasy universe either. Every nation portrayed as the "good guys" always has the seething underworld.
Empire - chaos cults
Bretonnia - vampire influences
Wood Elves - lethal xenophobia
Dwarfs - lethal indifference
High Elves - cults of excess and sense of superiority
Lizardmen - completely uncaring about anything beyond the plan of the Old Ones (which apparently has just failed)
Etc.
7th edition army book:

Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

The Games Workshop writers have a very dark outlook on the struggle of good versus evil. But considering the 40K universe this is no surprise. There were NO good guys. NONE. Zip! Nada! The whole universe was degrees of evil.

While I agree that GW presents a dark view on the world in some senses, I think it's probably more fair to frame their thought process akin to a Greek tragedy: people try to be good and heroic, but are confounded by their own flaws and end up succumbing to death, darkness, or both.

More to the point, though, only the Sith talk in terms of good and evil. And perhaps George W. Bush. The real world isn't broken up into good guys and bad - heck, even most sci-fi and fantasy have now moved on from that Tolkien-esque trope.

And finally - surely there are some kind of good guys in 40K?
- The Imperial Guard: trying their darndest to protect their home planets against the horrors of the universe (going into battle toting merely a lasgun and a suit of flak armour into battle against a carnifex or a bloodthirster requires the average guardsman - as the folk on 1d4chan have commented - to bring a wheel barrow to battle with him/her to battle so that they can carry their massive balls while they walk).
- Eldar: trying to stave off total eclipse and genocide of their species by the threat of Slaanesh.
- The Tau: Pursuing the greater good and allowing conquered civilizations to maintain their beliefs as long as they are compatible with the greater good.
- The Imperium: trying to save humankind from the horrors of the warp. Yes, the Emperor's methods are extreme, but considering the alternative, he's just doing the best he can!
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Sith talk in terms of good and evil

Actually, if you watch the movies carefully it is the Jedi talking in absolutes ;)

- The Imperial Guard: trying their darndest to protect their home planets against the horrors of the universe (going into battle toting merely a lasgun and a suit of flak armour into battle against a carnifex or a bloodthirster requires the average guardsman - as the folk on 1d4chan have commented - to bring a wheel barrow to battle with him/her to battle so that they can carry their massive balls while they walk).

The average guardsman doesn't have balls of steel. They choose maybe death later at the hands of a horrific enemy, over certain death now by the gun of their Commisar. Corruption runs deep in the Empire, if you're not on top of the pile, you are nothing more than an expendable number.

- Eldar: trying to stave off total eclipse and genocide of their species by the threat of Slaanesh.

While showing complete lack of regard for any species that is not Eldar, combined with patronizing approach towards the lesser races and instead of explaining the consequences of their actions, choosing to eradicate them

- The Tau: Pursuing the greater good and allowing conquered civilizations to maintain their beliefs as long as they are compatible with the greater good.

And if you're not compatible, then you're dead/

- The Imperium: trying to save humankind from the horrors of the warp. Yes, the Emperor's methods are extreme, but considering the alternative, he's just doing the best he can!

Nah, they're not trying to save anyone, just their own damn skins.
7th edition army book:

Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

All true Dalamar, I think my point was, though, that they represent flawed beings who have some good and some bad in them. Quite like humanity in our world.

Don't be a munchkin?

Cold73
Highborn

Post by Cold73 »

As for me...the End Times are not getting me down...but that m ight simply because no one in my vicinity is even playing this.
Don't get me wrong...i like the fluff changes...i just don't like the rules.... sure 50% Lord Choices..... WoC players will just send in 2 Daemon Princes..and be done with it.

So far for me the End Times promised to be a big hurricane when news of it hit the channels...but now that is has reached land it is nothing more then a summer breeze.
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
Haagrum
PhD in Dark Magic

Post by Haagrum »

Cold73 wrote:As for me...the End Times are not getting me down...but that m ight simply because no one in my vicinity is even playing this.
Don't get me wrong...i like the fluff changes...i just don't like the rules.... sure 50% Lord Choices..... WoC players will just send in 2 Daemon Princes..and be done with it.

So far for me the End Times promised to be a big hurricane when news of it hit the channels...but now that is has reached land it is nothing more then a summer breeze.

Since they won't both be 1+/3++ monsters, I can handle that.

Hell, I'd be inclined to respond by summoning a Terrorgheist or running a Light Council by abusing the same rules.
"The wrath of a good man is not to be feared. They have too many rules."

"Good men don't need rules. Today is not a good time to find out why I have so many."
Gidean
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Gidean »

Red... wrote:All true Dalamar, I think my point was, though, that they represent flawed beings who have some good and some bad in them. Quite like humanity in our world.

I thought the Emporer was some undead like being that require thousands of souls being fed to him daily to maintain his life support? Sounds like the Master in The Strain to me.
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

Quite possibly, but he protects humanity as a whole from a far more horrendous fate (and bear in mind that those thousands of souls paltry in number compared to the many billions of lives that span across the imperium). I'm not saying he's all good, but there is a sense that his goal is good - the protection of mankind against complete and total absorption into the warp and all its horrors.

Don't be a munchkin?

Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

So he's not anywhere near good.
Once goals justify the means, it's a steep slippery slope from there.
7th edition army book:

Dragon9
Assassin

Post by Dragon9 »

Both settings have always been shades of gray, instead of absolutes. Fantasy was a bit more realistic in that sense. With the End Times, we are now getting the grim dark past. Though I have no issue with that.
"The dark elves have everything cool. They are pirate blood cultist ninjas riding dinosaurs and flinging magic. They're metal. They're the most metal race out there, rivaled only by Warriors of Chaos. They bring a cauldron of boiling blood onto the battlefield. You don't get much more metal than that." -- Mostlyharmless on Warseer

My Blog: A Small World - My Life in Miniatures

Image Image
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne

Post by T.D. »

Something much worse than the End Times has happened.

Jessica Jung has left SNSD!!!!!

If GW killed off Malekith, Morathi, Teclis, Tyrion, Slaanesh, Nurgle, Khorne and Tzeentch it wouldn't be worse that this ...and this is real!!!

My heart is broken :cry:
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

T.D. wrote:Jessica Jung has left SNSD!!!!!
!conf! "has left" were the only two words I recognized in that sentence...

Don't be a munchkin?

Haagrum
PhD in Dark Magic

Post by Haagrum »

T.D., your fanatical devotion to J-Pop is commendable. Were it not for my abject lack of capacity for human emotion*, I would offer my sympathies.

With that in mind...

* = Sentimentality is the first casualty of corporate legal practice.
"The wrath of a good man is not to be feared. They have too many rules."

"Good men don't need rules. Today is not a good time to find out why I have so many."
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne

Post by T.D. »

Haagrum wrote:T.D., your fanatical devotion to J-Pop is commendable. Were it not for my abject lack of capacity for human emotion*, I would offer my sympathies.

With that in mind...

K-Pop actually. But it's good that someone's keeping the Druchii spirit alive in here, feeding on my anguish, feasting on the blood from my bleeding heart :o_O:

I feel that I've been letting the side down in that respect recently...

...but I can't help it!

This is the end of an era. A beautiful dream has died. The musical world -- ney, the world -- will never be the same again.

I now know how Malekith felt when the fulguration of Asuryan rejected his passing and burned him to his very core :burns:

*sniffles*
Gidean
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Gidean »

It is how I felt when Steve Perry left Journey. Yeah I am THAT old.
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne

Post by T.D. »

Gidean wrote:It is how I felt when Steve Perry left Journey. Yeah I am THAT old.

:shock: