Topic of the week - Round bases or square?

Got something to talk about? Be it video games, other tabletop or card games, even random stuff - this is the place to post!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Will you be converting your bases?

Poll ended at Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:43 pm

Never!!
53%
No, but I might in the future.
24%
Maybe. I haven't decided yet.
24%
I will change them, but I'm waiting for new bases/releases/models
No votes
Yes! I'm making the change.
No votes

Total votes: 17

Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Topic of the week - Round bases or square?

Post by Daeron »

Greetings Tyrants! I hope you're all ready for another topic of the week.
Last week we spoke of the ideal battalion. Today, we kick off a discussion on bases. Age of Sigmar introduced round bases and the latest release of the Sylvaneth hints that this is a change to come to all models. The first pictures of Dark Elves on round bases have been spotted in the White Dwarf. They look good, but they don't mix well with the old fantasy game.
And let's face it: rebasing a whole army is a demanding, tedious task. I'm not sure we'd be happy to get round bases for Christmas (I hope GW doesn't ever push bases forward as a "gift idea" lol).

So the question is: are you switching to round bases, yes or no, and why?
Feel free to shout out "never!!" as long as it's civil ;)
What are the deciding arguments for you to change or keep your bases? Is it because you like to play both WFB and AoS? Is the time and cost associated with the swap? Is there another game, who's cross compatibility is a deciding factor?
We're throwing in a poll where you can also vote on your preferred option.
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Re: Topic of the week - Round bases or square?

Post by cultofkhaine »

It's funny, when I first joined Druchii.net and started getting back into the hobby after along hiatus a lot of my old models were on round bases. I started painting them and rebasing them all on round bases until I got bagged by the community - then I went square. I really like round bases but I don't se myself going back anytime soon - plus square bases rank up much better IMO.
Jolemai
Executioner

Post by Jolemai »

Will leave mine on the bases the models came with as it really doesn't matter.

That said, when the 32 mm bases came out, there were various companies making converters your your 25 mm round bases. Has any square to round addons appeared yet?
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Well I have started with square so I am continuing with square.
Plus having played a few games of KoW recently, the models will continue to work with all available options that I have.

From a purely aesthetic point of view though, round bases do look good, but I shall be strong and not submit to the wicked lure of the circle, quadrilaterals have served me well until now.
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

Could go against the norm and be a rebel :P

Gnosis
Hard, but Fair

Post by Gnosis »

Nope. I prefer the look of the square bases and I will certainly not invest in converting my older models to it.
Count them:

Painted in 2013: 500
Painted in 2014: 600
Painted in 2015: 854
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

This question has a lot of overlap with the question of whether or not you will play Age of Sigmar or stick with 8th edition. Those who stick with 8th will obviously not rebase their minis. So, perhaps the question should be directed purely to AoS players, because then you will get a more accurate portrayal of whether or not players intending to transition from 8th edition to AoS are going to choose round or square bases.

mod edit: keeping it civil.
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

Actually this was directed at everyone, and to give a voice to the WFB community. Round bases aren't exclusive to AoS but Aos certainly seems to be an incentive. There have been so many pictures floating around of people rebasing their armies that it begs the question what our community members are doing.
Of course, it is self evident that pictures of rebased armies fly around and fewer of square bases. I haven't seen people brag about their hobby stating "look! I did absolutely nothing to these models!" :D
This is a chance to speak up.

Personally... I haven't decided. I'm tempted to focus on a single ruleset, but AoS has not convinced me of its longevity yet. So why rush the change?
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
Diobarach
Black Guard

Post by Diobarach »

Never is a strong word I suppose, but no intention here and I haven't even finished the square bases on quarter of mine :)

I think certain models look better on rounds, but I don't feel it's universal. I think executioners, dreadspears and blackguard look better when they are tightly grouped via square. Witch elves, corsairs, cav models and so look better on rounds.
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Too lazy to change.
Also, don't want to invest some money into so many round bases for so little playing time.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Haagrum
PhD in Dark Magic

Post by Haagrum »

Calisson wrote:Too lazy to change.
Also, don't want to invest some money into so many round bases for so little playing time.

This applies equally to me. What little hobby & playing time I get now is better spent dealing with the "Wall of Shame" (models bought and unpainted for several years).

In addition, since both 8th ed and AoS gaming groups seem likely to persist in my area, sticking with square bases for everything other than my bolt throwers seems like the most prudent course.
"The wrath of a good man is not to be feared. They have too many rules."

"Good men don't need rules. Today is not a good time to find out why I have so many."
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

Thank you all for joining in on the topic. I think it's clear there's some different views on this, and though there's some consideration for the round bases, they clearly aren't sold yet on board yet. And for a variety of great reasons: either for compatibility with 8th (or exclusively to play 8th) or because AoS doesn't enforce the requirement of round bases and so we can be spared the effort.

I'm curious to see how the custom made base market will react to this.
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze