Topic of the Week - Scenery!

Got something to talk about? Be it video games, other tabletop or card games, even random stuff - this is the place to post!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Topic of the Week - Scenery!

Post by Daeron »

Greetings Tyrants!

It's another Monday and that gives us a new topic of the week. And with the latest scenery releases, what better topic to discuss than scenery?

G.W. released a few stunning pieces of scenery, but they are far from the only company making scenery. There are many ways to make your own scenery and people seem to be getting more experienced, creative and organized in designing and making gaming boards.

So the topic of the week is: what is your scenery, and how do you get yours? How important is scenery for you?
Do you spend a lot of hobby time in making your own, or do you prefer the pre-made kits? Did you order your scenery from GW or some other company?
Do you work with a designed table, or a placement mat and some loose pieces?
What is your biggest inspiration for terrain? Do you hope for Dark Elf specific scenery to be released, by GW or some other company?
Or do you spend all your time on the models, and is the kitchen table your gaming table? Which is perfectly fine as long as we're all having fun :)

And if you have special pictures to show, by all means, post them! Even if it's a picture of the kitchen table :)
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Re: Topic of the Week - Scenery!

Post by Amboadine »

Over time I have had a whole range of 'scenery'.

Back when I first started, I used to play on my parents dinner table with a green tablecloth. For added excitement we created the hills out of piles of different sized books, and woods were defined by cotton wool stuck onto cereal pack cardboard bases. Water was basically blue painted cardboard.
It did the job and I actually fondly remember those times.
The next step for me came with Warhammer (3ed) Siege. I invested in the Fantasy castle that was available at the time, and this came with all sorts of ladders and doors.

IMG_0456.jpg

This added a new dimension to the game, plus the rules were great fun.
It was about this time that the local railway shop became the go to place for model trees. I also discovered the joy of polystyrene sheets and a hot wire to make hills.

These days I am a little lazier and prebuilt houses, walls and fences have become a way of life and the dinner table is now my own rather than my parents. The green table cloth however is a 30 year constant :) The only problem being every battle looks like it is being played out in the Empire. I would have jumped on race specific scenery if it was available, but alas this was never the case.
Malys the younger
Beastmaster

Post by Malys the younger »

I'm with Amboadine. When I started the hobby almost 15 years ago, no piece of Styrofoam escaped my gaze. As terrain kits improved I picked a few to enhance the wow factor of my table. Foam still has its uses though as this year I made a 4 piece modular hill that I think looks great next to GW buildings. Last week I purchased my first FAT Mat, a 3x3 swamp, and after playing a Regiment of Renown game on it I have to say I'm in love. Terrain has come a long way in helping to build atmosphere and immerse players in the battle.

I'd like to see more race specific terrain in the future. If Chaos can get away with just adding spikes and skulls to Empire/Space Marine terrain, surely High/Dark elves could do the same?

The Grim Host of Malys the Younger: http://druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75760

Overall W/D/L: 5/0/3
vs Empire: 1/0/0
vs Wood Elves: 2/0/2
vs Beastmen: 2/0/0
vs Vampire Counts: 0/0/1
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

The pics are still visible: :D
Make your own terrain for free (w/ images)
and
Ideas for all the 8th ed terrains
Nothing added since - I ceased to save plastic scrap, we have enough.
When I will start playing AoS, I might look for new wastes?

But I'm not ready to spend hefty sums for large terrain I would find difficult to store home and would hardly ever use.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

@Amboadine - ah, the Mighty Fortess, an awesome set. We had one for many years, and me and my sister played with it (more for make believe games involving models than actual war hammer) for a good while. It sat gathering dust for decades after, and I think was given away when my parents moved house a couple of years ago. A great set in its day!
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

A topic close to my heart - I love nothing better than working on terrain pieces - to me this is the best part of the hobby!!!

Dark Elves have a serious lacking in this area, I have searched the net high and low for inspiration but found very little.

I would love one day to go the whole hog an model a DE city... perhaps small town. My preference is to make terrain from bits, foam, cardboard.. whatever is at hand. I think over the years I have experimented and now have a great way to work with foam. The biggest problem is to find ways to store it.

Some of my works below, I'm sure most of you have seen them over the years but thought it would be good to post them.
Attachments
Dwarf-Stronghold-05.JPG
Deathknell watch.jpg
Dark Elf Tower 2 LoRes.jpg
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

Some more...
Attachments
Temple-of-Blood-01.jpg
temple of khaine.jpg
Malekith-on-foot-Dragon-Throne-16.jpg
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

I think those are stunning pieces, every one of them. You mention the lack of inspiration. I think that, if you need inspiration, a good source would be Warhammer Online. I never played the game, so I could be wrong, but I think it had at least some Elven architecture, vessels etc, to render the world of Warhammer Online.
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Absolutely stunning terrain Cult, a great reminder of the work you are capable of producing.
Ming
Black Guard

Post by Ming »

Wonderful pieces of terrain, Cult!
I had already seen them on your site, and love them.
They are a great inspiration.
During last year I've gathered what is necessary to recreate your blood pool, and I'm willing to try in a few days.
Of course I don't expect to achieve your masterful result... ;)
... and Justice for all!!!

.... and enthusiast member of the league of extraordinary druchii gentlemen
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

For my own terrain, I only have a list of failures that I can't even show. I tried to hew some rocks out of styrofoam and the likes. While the results so far are okay, I never got around to painting them. At some point I just had to make the space, and locked them all away. Then came a hiatus. Then came model painting. And months later, nothing happened. I tried to ammend things by buying a few kits at a store that was clearing its stock for a very nice discount.
Unfortunately.. I never got around assembling those kits either :S

But I did start looking up some tutorials again recently, and hope to start over one step at a time. I stumbled across this guy on youtube who is just an amazing terrain maker and his videos are just incredible.
https://www.youtube.com/user/TheTerrainTutor
One cool thing he noted was the fact that train modelers were ahead of us as far as terrain building was concerned.. When I first got into Warhammer, over a decade ago, I felt that the scenery and details they were making for the game were "sub par" to the scenery I knew that was being made for model trains. In terms of quality, at least. My problem with model train materials and tutorials, I found, was that many of them looked too cheerful to fit the rather dark themes of Fantasy. They don't exactly sport dark castles and marshes.

Anyhow. I've been tempted to make some photoshopped printouts of terrain to use, while we're working on making something decent. After all these years, I'm embarassed to still be at this point regarding terrain :P But one step at a time.
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

Thanks for the nice comments guys!

One thing that helps me with terrain is collecting photos online - I have hundreds of different images I have collected on all sorts of things for inspiration.

Unfortunately having the time is difficult - there are so many things I would like to make. I have recently been experimenting with making silicone moulds and using PVA glue to cast brick sections for castle walls, it's working quite well at the moment..... Perhaps I might do a tutorial on it.

I have just finished making a wizards tower for this years Armies on Parade board, have not painted it yet. I am also hoping to build me one of these very soon.

Thanks for the link Daeron - he has some interesting stuff.

Also check out Terranscapes http://www.terranscapes.com/ this guy has some really cool stuff.
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

Some other pieces I have found in my wanderings - not by me.
Attachments
straznica_de4a.jpg
img4f4a739c028aa.jpg
96c2d941f4ca074e00c7660e623190d3.jpg
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

and another one.
Attachments
towerpage1.jpg
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

Check out this YouTube Channel

https://www.youtube.com/user/Terranscapes
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

Amazing stuff! I'll try to dig up a link I lost somewhere. Apparently there's a company making custom boards, mostly for 40K, but the level of detail and thought they put in it is stunning. 3D planning and everything.
I'm not sure I'd ever want to commit like that to a single board, but perhaps there are a few things to be learned from that.

- The stiff breeze
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

On another note, do you reckon it would be worth it to try to make blueprints for some constructions, like a raider ship or a watch tower?

- The stiff breeze
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Daeron wrote:On another note, do you reckon it would be worth it to try to make blueprints for some constructions, like a raider ship or a watch tower?

I would be very interested in seeing something like that. I don't really have the terrain building experience myself so something to follow would be great to see.
Malys the younger
Beastmaster

Post by Malys the younger »

Amboadine wrote:
Daeron wrote:On another note, do you reckon it would be worth it to try to make blueprints for some constructions, like a raider ship or a watch tower?

I would be very interested in seeing something like that. I don't really have the terrain building experience myself so something to follow would be great to see.

I second this!

The Grim Host of Malys the Younger: http://druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75760

Overall W/D/L: 5/0/3
vs Empire: 1/0/0
vs Wood Elves: 2/0/2
vs Beastmen: 2/0/0
vs Vampire Counts: 0/0/1
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

Well I don't have any experience either. Hmmm... But some scenery could use planning, I reckon :)

- The stiff breeze
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

On another note, do you reckon it would be worth it to try to make blueprints for some constructions,

Daeron you have upped the anti - I think this is an excellent idea, perhaps when I go to make the ship I will work on some plans for it as well.
Diobarach
Black Guard

Post by Diobarach »

Your stuff looks amazing Cult, that dark elf tower especially.
Crowsfoot
Trainee Warrior

Post by Crowsfoot »

:D
Cultofkhaine wrote:Thanks for the nice comments guys!

One thing that helps me with terrain is collecting photos online - I have hundreds of different images I have collected on all sorts of things for inspiration.

Unfortunately having the time is difficult - there are so many things I would like to make. I have recently been experimenting with making silicone moulds and using PVA glue to cast brick sections for castle walls, it's working quite well at the moment..... Perhaps I might do a tutorial on it.

I have just finished making a wizards tower for this years Armies on Parade board, have not painted it yet. I am also hoping to build me one of these very soon.

Thanks for the link Daeron - he has some interesting stuff.

Also check out Terranscapes http://www.terranscapes.com/ this guy has some really cool stuff.

New member here and I just had to join and ask what model would you use to make the corsair ship?

I have searched high and low for a suitable model.
Checkout my Lizardmen and others Here
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

Welcome to the forum Crowsfoot

New member here and I just had to join and ask what model would you use to make the corsair ship?

I have searched high and low for a suitable model.

It's a custom build unfortunately - I doubt there would be anything off the shelf that you could use.

I have been doing quite a bit of research into building one myself and slowly collecting a variety of bits to build one.

I am a little while off getting the project underway, but will endeavour to post my progress when I do.
anthalont
Shade

Post by anthalont »

As usual, I find myself in awe at Cult's awesome works

Some day I wish to try doing some terrain pieces for myself..but I guess it'll take some time.
Well, one step at a time..:)