Topic of the Week - Memorable moments in WFB!

Got something to talk about? Be it video games, other tabletop or card games, even random stuff - this is the place to post!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Topic of the Week - Memorable moments in WFB!

Post by Daeron »

Greetings Tyrants,

This week's topic is a moment to share our most memorable moments in WFB. What memories are dear to you from the golden age of Warhammer?
Was it a particular moment in battle? Was it a new rulebook or a model? Was it the completion of an army or a particular tournament? Or somebody you got to know?
Share us your story!

For myself, I'd pick two moments. The one where I sat with my friends at a table, painting miniatures and chatting about the game. It was back in the day, when 6th ed just launched, when I was still a student and I had all the time in the world to do this. The evenings were warm and fuzzy with jokes made, stories told and mini's painted. These evenings developed into gaming nights, eventually... but the earliest one's still are dearest to me ;)

The other one, I must confess, was a slightly imbalanced victory over a Dwarven foe who I had never defeated up until that point. Man, DE's were terrible in 6th and Dwarfs were always a tough match up for me. Even more so, because I lacked the troops required to make it count.
But that one game, just that one game.... I ran a cold one knight bus into the Dwarven flank. Enough kills (hydra banner ftw), Fear and outnumbering would lead to an auto break from my opponent's unit and have me steamroll unit after unit. In fact, the only thing stopping the COK bus was the end of the game.
It was a well deserved revenge for all the painful games I suffered at his hand... It made me a better gamer, made me think more about my strategy and savour the taste of victory like a terrific wine.

How about you?
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
direweasel
Malekith's Personal Guard

Re: Topic of the Week - Memorable moments in WFB!

Post by direweasel »

I took a turn once playing a friend's Chaos Army several editions ago. This was around 1995 or so, so whatever edition that was. It had a "winds of chaos deck" of little cards. Well, I had a really powerful Lvl4 wizard as my general on a disc of Tzeentch. We each had 3000 points, so relatively sizable battle.

So the first card I pulled was called "Power of Chaos", I think it was called. It gave you a die roll, and on a 2-6 you got a various number of extra magic dice, and on a 1, your wizard was sucked into a void and instantly dead, no save.

Well, guess what I rolled? SO lvl4 Wizard dead. And back then, when your general died, your whole army has to take a panic test. No big deal right? Chaos are high Ld...except for that day, every single solitary unit (I think there were 7 or 8 ) failed and ran away.

Fun battle! :)

Needless to say, that was the first, last, and ONLY time I borrowed his Chaos army!!
Chinese Relativity Axiom: No matter how glorious your triumphs, nor how miserable your failures, there will always be at least one billion people in China who don't give a damn.

Apocalypse Drow! Plog: http://druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75360
direweasel
Malekith's Personal Guard

Re: Topic of the Week - Memorable moments in WFB!

Post by direweasel »

Nobody else is doing this yet, so I'll post another old one.

My first ever tourney game was against a Chaos Dwarf army, probably about the same time frame - mid 90s. I'd never fought Chaos Dwarfs and didn't know a thing about their army. It was my first experience with "Earthshaker" cannons - real nightmare.

Anyway, he fielded a magic user general on a Lammasu - big Babylonian Bull with wings. I wasn't sure what to do with him, but I knew he was high Toughness, and the only thing I had that could hurt it was my bolt throwers, and I had 4.

So first turn, I decided that with 3 of them I'd rapid shot, and the 4th I'd try the higher strength single shot in case I got lucky. Oddly, not a single shot from the rapid shots hit. They got 6 bolts each, I went 0 for 18 needing a 4+. Didn't even get to test vs Toughness - horrible roll. But I was apparently saving all my dice karma for the single shot, because it hit, randomized to the character, punched his toughness, and did max wounds, killing him. The look on my opponent's face was priceless.

Well back then, when you killed the rider, the mount took a "Bound Monster" test. So he rolls on that and the monster goes into a frenzied rage and attacks the nearest unit, which I forget what that was, but it took lots of wounds and panicked. Additionally, since that rider was the general, most of the hobgoblins panicked off the board too before the game had really even started. Needless to say, I won my first ever tourney game. :)
Chinese Relativity Axiom: No matter how glorious your triumphs, nor how miserable your failures, there will always be at least one billion people in China who don't give a damn.

Apocalypse Drow! Plog: http://druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75360