Topic of the Week - Airbrushes and you!

Got something to talk about? Be it video games, other tabletop or card games, even random stuff - this is the place to post!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Topic of the Week - Airbrushes and you!

Post by Daeron »

Greetings Tyrants!

This week's topic is back on the hobby, and about one specific painting technique: airbrushes. Do you have one? If so, which one, how often do you use it and what for? Could you imagine your hobby without it, now that you have taken a bite from the apple? :)

If you don't have an airbrush, let us know that too. Do you consider getting one, or are you holding back? For what reasons did you not pick up an airbrush?
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Re: Topic of the Week - Airbrushes and you!

Post by cultofkhaine »

I got an Airbrush about 20 years ago when I finished design school (back then it was all done by hand) I used it a few times but since then it has not seen the light of day. Funny enough I bought a can of compressed air the other day thinking I might give it a try sometime soon. I have a Slaanesh Army in the pipeline I was thinking of using it on.
Malys the younger
Beastmaster

Post by Malys the younger »

I don't have an airbrush (yet) but I did get an air compressor for my birthday so now I'm tempted. I don't know if I'd do infantry models but I can definitely see myself doing larger models like monsters with it.

The Grim Host of Malys the Younger: http://druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75760

Overall W/D/L: 5/0/3
vs Empire: 1/0/0
vs Wood Elves: 2/0/2
vs Beastmen: 2/0/0
vs Vampire Counts: 0/0/1
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

I'm considering getting one, after seeing a video on youtube with convincing arguments. My biggest concern was the price, but it seems there are affordable airbrush sets.
But I might get lucky: I have a big compressor, which should have another two decades of service. If I can assemble the required conversion parts to connect the airbrush to it, I might get settled at a reasonably cheap price. Additionally, I managed to salvage an ultrason cleaner.
So I'm down to the connection parts, the actual airbrush, and then the liquids.

My goal wouldn't be the precision stuff you see around the web, but just to prime and basecoat the models. I still have a whole army of dark elves to paint and I guess I could save loads of time if I could prime and basecoat them in this manner.
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
direweasel
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by direweasel »

I don't own one, and I'm not sure I want to. I've never used one, and don't know how. They look like a lot of time, effort, money, and work. I get the impression that in the hands of someone with artistic talent, they're useful. But I also know that I don't really have much artistic talent. I have to work really hard to get average results, because I'm not generally artistic at all. So I think I'm going to stick with the brushes and try to get better at that - no sense trying to add on this whole new element, when I don't really know the first one yet.
Chinese Relativity Axiom: No matter how glorious your triumphs, nor how miserable your failures, there will always be at least one billion people in China who don't give a damn.

Apocalypse Drow! Plog: http://druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75360
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

Although I felt the same for a long time, this video convinced me to have another look at it :

Now I'm not aiming to go pro on this. But just for basecoats and priming, it looks like a time saver.

- The stiff breeze
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Not a bad video to be honest. Be interested in how you get on.
Malys the younger
Beastmaster

Post by Malys the younger »

Daeron wrote:... but just to prime and basecoat the models. I still have a whole army of dark elves to paint and I guess I could save loads of time if I could prime and basecoat them in this manner.

Its definitely a good choice if you dont want to go the GW/Army Painter spray route. It would give you more control over your actual base color.

The Grim Host of Malys the Younger: http://druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75760

Overall W/D/L: 5/0/3
vs Empire: 1/0/0
vs Wood Elves: 2/0/2
vs Beastmen: 2/0/0
vs Vampire Counts: 0/0/1
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

Nice Tutorial - I have been waiting to give mine a try on my Slaanesh army, tempting to rip it out now and give them a spray - sigh, to many miniatures, so little time :(